HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Best of Leviathan and Best of Silver Web

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Ministry of Whimsy » Best of Leviathan and Best of Silver Web « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   

From now on this'll be the messageboard for Ministry/Leviathan and Buzzcity News. Name will change accordingly over time.

Here's some news.

jeff

NEW COMPILATIONS FROM GROUND-BREAKING PUBLICATIONS

Prime Books is pleased to announce the acquisition of two new collections that reprint the best from the ground-breaking publications Leviathan, founded by Jeff VanderMeer, and Buzzcity Press’ The Silver Web, founded and edited by Ann Kennedy (now Ann VanderMeer). Bothcollections will appear in late 2006 in trade paperback with possible limited-edition hardcovers.

Founded in 1988 and published for more than a decade, The Silver Web featured surreal dark cross-genre work at a time when traditional genre fiction was the norm. Stories published in The Silver Web won the British Fantasy Award, NEA-sponsored grants, and appeared in several year’s best anthologies. The Silver Web had a reputation for publishing many exciting new writers, including early work from John W. Campbell Award winner Daniel Abraham. This best-of collection will bring back into print several classics as well as a few unjustly overlooked stories.

Founded in 1994, Leviathan is the godfather of the current crop of cross-genre anthologies. Since its inception it has catered to readers who crave the beautifully strange, the off-beat, and the deeply unique. A World Fantasy Award winner, Philip K. Dick Award finalist, and British Fantasy Award finalist, the series now returns with a best-of, featuring work from the out-of-print first two volumes as well as selections from volumes 3 and 4.

The Leviathan best-of collection will feature an introduction from Ann Kennedy while the Silver Web best-of collection will feature an introduction from Jeff VanderMeer. Over the years, Jeff has served as a reader for The Silver Web and Ann has read for Leviathan. Future volumes of the Leviathan series will be co-edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer.

A full table of contents for both volumes will be forthcoming in 2006.

JKS
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:17 am:   

Hey Jeff,

Very cool! Really looking forward to The Silver Web anthology, as I missed out completely on the magazine. As for the Leviathan, seeing as how I have all of them, it won't do much for me. On the other hand, since I paid around $60 for my copy of number 1, this is a nice public service for others.

Any news on Leviathan 5?

best,

Jonathan

Robert Devereux
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:57 am:   

I'd love to see the stuff in The Silver Web. The one issue I have is quite good. I also like the idea of being able to read some of the work from Leviathan I.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

Leviathan 5 will be a black humor volume and will have an opening reading period. Still figuring out who will publish it and when we'll start reading for it!

JeffV

JV
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

It's gone out of circulation. It was always a tough thing for Ann, because she liked to include a lot of full-page art--the magazine was known for it--and artist portfolios in addition to the fiction, and was costly to produce. She had newsstand distribution at one point but her distributors went belly up owing her a lot of money. At some point it made more sense to go into book publication (she did my Dradin In Love and Michael Cisco's The Divinity Student). And now it makes the most sense for the two of us to pool our editorial resources and do the Leviathan anthology.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

I actually have only one copy of Leviathan 1 in my personal library!!

People who do have Lev1 should note--if it has blue end papers, it's more valuable. Only 150 copies of the print run had the blue end papers.

JeffV

JKS
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

Blue end papers? Scurry, scurry, check... Blast! Not on my copy. Oh well, win some lose some.

By the way, while I'm typing, a quick question for you, sir:

I've had the automatic notification thingee up on ebay for wonders Vandermeer for over a year now and not even a sniff of 'The Book Of Frog'. How many were published?

best,

Jonathan

JV
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:55 pm:   

About 200 copies.

JV

JV
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   

Just a short update. I'm still compiling the list of stories for the Leviathan best-of, but can say for sure that it will include "The Face of Days" by Mark Rich (Lev #1), "Portrait of an Artist" by L. Timmel Duchamp (Lev #2), "The Progenitor" by Brian Evenson (Lev #3) and part of Michael Cisco's "Genius of Assassins" (Lev #3), Ben Peek's "The Dreaming City" (Lev #4). Stepan Chapman and Zoran Zivkovic will of course be represented, but with what pieces hasn't yet been determined. And another 10 or stories will be included on top of that. Probably 4 or 5 from Lev #1, two from Lev #2, etc.

JeffV

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 06:34 pm:   

Well, I was considering ordering Leviathan 3 because it's supposed to be so good. But I figure I might as well wait for the best of, now.

Didn't Zoran's "The Library" win an award?

JV
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 07:18 am:   

Yeah--Zoran won the World Fantasy Award. We'll be running one of those pieces. Actually, there will be proportionally very little from Lev3 in the best of, because in addition to being a best of I also want to make sure that the out of print volumes have priority. I think 5 to 6 of the 26 stories in lev3 will be in it.

Jeffrey Ford's "Weight of Words" from Lev3 will be in the best-of, btw.

I'll stop doing this fragmented list now and post a full list in a couple of weeks.

JeffV

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:40 am:   

Well, this is exciting.

I'm glad that "The Progenitor" by Evenson will get some extra exposure. That story blew a hole in my skull. It's totally unrelenting.

"Minutes of the Last Meeting" by Chapman is also a rather nice piece. I'm hoping that Tim Burton will make it into a movie someday.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |