HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Latest Ministry News

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Ministry of Whimsy » Latest Ministry News « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   

MINISTRY OF WHIMSY ON HIATUS/
LEVIATHAN ANTHOLOGY SERIES CHANGES

Effective January 1, 2005, the Ministry of Whimsy’s association with Night Shade Books will end and the press will go on hiatus for the foreseeable future. Ministry of Whimsy and Night Shade reached an amicable parting of the ways.

Founder Jeff VanderMeer cited an inability to continue to juggle a day job, writing, publishing, and editing.

“Since the flavor of the Ministry has always been based, for better or worse, on my individual vision,” VanderMeer said, “it doesn’t make sense to continue at this time. Another factor, to my mind, is the recent proliferation of publishers doing a great job of publishing work in the same or similar vein to the Ministry. Great presses like Prime, Wheatland Press, Small Beer Press, and, of course, Night Shade, among others, have all published a number of books I would have loved to have published through the Ministry. When we started, there weren’t as many outlets for idiosyncratic fantastical fiction.”

VanderMeer will now focus his attention primarily on his own writing and on individual editing projects.

One of those editing projects will be Leviathan 5, slated for release in 2006 or 2007. VanderMeer will edit Leviathan 5 with his wife, Ann. Forrest Aguirre, editor of Leviathan 4, has left Leviathan to edit and promote his own anthology series through Raw Dog Screaming Press, as well as a stand-alone anthology through Wheatland Press.

“Forrest did a great job with Leviathan 4 and these new projects of his will allow him to further develop his own unique editorial identity,” VanderMeer said. “As for the decision to co-edit with my wife, she always did at least a third of the work on any anthology I edited anyway; the only reason she hasn’t been a co-editor before is that she was running her own publishing company.” Leviathan 5 will have a theme revolving around dark humor.

Jason Williams, founder of Night Shade, said, “Jeff was a great help to us and we both learned a lot from each other. This decision is best for Jeff and for Night Shade as we expand our own roster of books, many of which are in a Ministry vein anyway. We look forward to publishing Jeff’s fiction in the future.”

VanderMeer recently sold novels to Bantam Books and Tor Books.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 05:27 pm:   

Will Night Shade be releasing Lev5?

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 05:32 pm:   

I don't know yet. That's a long way away. When it comes down to it, the Ministry may release it under its own aegis, or it might come out from NS or it might come out from a NY publisher. We'll just have to see.

I'm excited about a black humor/dark humor volume because it'll clearly span both mainstream literary and genre in an interesting way.

So regardless of whether Ministry ever publishes another book, it's flagship is going to keep on pushing forward. As long as I'm alive, there will be Leviathan anthologies.

JeffV

JV
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 05:32 pm:   

Er, "its flagship". Long day.

JV

Rhys
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 08:46 am:   

Bye bye, Ministry of Whimsy!

Thanks for publishing me. I'm biased, of course, but you were one of the great publishing houses.

Thanks for helping Darktree on his horse!

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 09:18 am:   

Thanks, Rhys. Thank you for letting us publish you. And thank you for forgiving us our failures.

There'll be a new beginning soon enough.

Besides, I can hardly think of a Lev5 without your work in it.

JeffV

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 03:35 pm:   

This news has good parts and bad parts. The bad: I knew if the MInistry put out a book, I would like it. I don't have quite the same track record with other publishers, although Nightshade and Prime come close. It's sad to see it go.

The good is more time for Jeff to focus on his own writing.

And a humorous Leviathan sounds quite appealing.

Will there ever be another Album Zutique?

JV
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 06:28 pm:   

I'd like there to be another AZ. But the idea of a series one right after another might have been too ambitious. I keep having a problem with biting off more than I can chew time-wise.

jeff

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 08:15 am:   

Maybe just one more AZ would be a good idea, even if several years down the line...?

If AZ#1 had just been labelled AZ then it wouldn't matter, but that #1 implies a number 2 at least... and there's something dreadfully itchy in the sensation of a #1 without anything after... A #2 would be a huge relief.

Even if we all only pretend that #2 exists... It could be a ghost book, like the last DANGEROUS VISIONS. Anything other than leaving #1 on its own!

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 08:26 am:   

Well, Rhys, your book from the Ministry technically *was* AZ#2. So it's not really a ghost at all!

Jeff

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 08:48 am:   

Cool! That itch has been scratched!

Thomas R
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 08:38 pm:   

Au re voir! You had a lovely website as I recall and I'm sorry I never ordered anything from you now.

John William Thiel
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 05:45 am:   

How do you explain its remaining on the Nightshade board?

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 02:36 pm:   

There are a lot of publishers who maintain message boards on the "Night Shade" discussion board.

Ministry maintains its discussion board here... F&SF has its board here. Electric Velocipede has a board here, though there are no formal ties between Klima and Night Shade (although Night Shade did take out an add in the latest issue).

The Night Shade Message boards have always been a big tent, and there is no need to get rid of the ministry board, just because we no longer have a formal business relationship.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |