HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Publications

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Elastic Press » Publications « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 04:16 am:   

Elastic Press has published two anthologies and thirteen collections of short stories.

"The Alsiso Project" was published in January 2004 and featured 23 stories (including those from K.J.Bishop, Justina Robson, Nicholas Royle, Conrad Williams, and many of the Elastic stable of writers) all of which were titled "Alsiso". This won the British Fantasy Society award for Best Anthology 2005.

Our second anthology, "The Elastic Book of Numbers", was published in February 2005 and contains 21 number-based stories from authors such as Eric Shapiro, Joel Lane, Marion Arnott, Phil Locascio, and Neil Williamson etc. Our belief behind publishing unusually themed anthologies is that they force the writer to think beyond the usual genre box. Plus we reckon they're more fun than other more generic anthologies...

Our short story collections currently in stock are

Andrew Humphrey's "Open The Box"
Gary Couzens' "Second Contact"
Antony Mann's "Milo & I"
Kay Green's "Jung's People"
Brian Howell's "The Sound of White Ants"
Allen Ashley's "Somnambulists"
Steven Savile's "Angel Road"
Nick Jackson's "Visits to the Flea Circus"
Tim Lees' "The Life To Come"
Matt Dinniman's "Trailer Park Fairy Tales"
Tim Nickels' "The English Soil Society"

"The English Soil Society" is being launched in London on Saturday 29th October 2005. If anyone from these boards will be around that day, then email me and I'll let you know the details.

Many of our authors have had numerous stories published in UK independent press publications such as The Third Alternative, Midnight Street and Fusing Horizons for example. Most times we publish an author's first collection.

I'll post information on our up and coming books here as and when it arrives.

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:00 pm:   

Just a note that some of the above titles are almost out of print so it's worth seeking out the remaining copies either direct from me or via our online stockists to ensure you obtain one.

"Milo & I" by Antony Mann - I have ONE copy remaining and then they're all gone.

"Somnambulists" by Allen Ashley - fewer than TEN copies left. This was shortlisted for a British Fantasy Award for best collection this year.

And our best-selling title, "Angel Road", by Steven Savile is down to the last THREE copies here at Elastic Press.

None of the above will be reprinted because despite high sales it won't be cost effective to add more stock at this present time. More details on the books, plus extracts, can be read at Elastic Press.

Enjoy!

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 01:44 am:   

As an update on the above, "Milo & I" is now sold out.

Our next publication, The Last Days of Johnny North by David Swann, is due back from the printers this coming Wednesday, so there's much to get excited about!

All pre-order information is now online, so why not trot over to the Elastic Press website to see what it's about, or to read an extract, or to find out what David Swann's ambition is...

So, please, order direct from us here, or online via the BFS store which is here, or for those in the States our principal stockist is Shocklines. Only £6 for nearly 300 pages and most of them written on!

Andrew Hook
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 07:41 am:   

Got the paperback copies of "The Ephemera" by Neil Williamson back from the printers today and they look stunning! Pre-order info will go on the website next week. The hardbacks will be delivered a little bit later, but definitely in time for EasterCon (only a handful of those remain unsold).

Andrew Hook
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 02:10 am:   

Hello!

The 1st August sees the publication of the eighteenth paperback from Elastic Press, a collection of short stories by Mike O’Driscoll titled “Unbecoming”. Mike lives on Gower Peninsula, South Wales. His stories have appeared in genre magazines including The 3rd Alternative, BBR, Crime Wave and Interzone, online at Gothic.net, Infinity Plus and Eclectica, and in a number of anthologies including Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror, Best New Horror, The Dark, Gathering the Bones, Lethal Kisses, Off Limits, Darklands and Neonlit Vol. 1. His story ‘Sounds Like’ is currently being filmed as a TV movie by the makers of the Masters of Horror TV series, to be directed by Brad Anderson (Session 9, The Machinist).

It’s a pretty impressive role call of credits I’m sure you’ll agree! We’re shipping pre-orders at the moment, so any new orders will be despatched immediately, and www.elasticpress.com has been updated with the striking cover art by Mike Bohatch, together with an extract, and – of course – the all important purchase information: http://www.elasticpress.com/publications.htm Those of you in the States and Canada should purchase your copies from the excellent Shocklines who will be in stock shortly.

Due to both mine and Mike’s holiday commitments there won’t be a physical launch of this book until 15th September, which will take place at the Dylan Thomas Centre in Swansea from 7pm, and will be a joint launch together with Rhys Hughes’ collection “From The Molehills of Madness” published by Pendragon Press. It’s sure to be an excellent event, so if you’re in the area then please pop along.

Here’s what the back cover blurbers have to say about “Unbecoming”:

“Identities in crisis, lives falling apart. Wherever Mike O’Driscoll’s stories are set – downtown LA, Soho medialand or the Gower Peninsula – the light is fading to a dusky noir but his characters are still recognisable as people you know. Compassion as real as the horror: O’Driscoll doesn’t do inauthentic. The monster within is pissed off.” – Nicholas Royle, author of Antwerp (Serpent’s Tail)

“Mike O’Driscoll writes mysterious, sometimes convoluted, utterly chilling stories. I’ve been reading - and sometimes publishing - his work for many years and am delighted that it’s finally available in this fine collection.” – Ellen Datlow, Co-Editor of Year's Best Fantasy & Horror

We still have a couple of hardbacks of “Unbecoming” available for £15.00 plus p&p. There will only be 26 of these, so email me if you want a copy before they all go. Signed and lettered, these are collectors items now – not just in the future!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 04:39 pm:   

Yayyyy!

Andrew Hook
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:44 am:   

Hi Ellen

I'll be mailing you a copy for YBF&H tomorrow. Thanks again for the blurb!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 08:05 am:   

Super, Andrew. You're very welcome.
Any originals in it?

Andrew Hook
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 01:06 am:   

One story, "Evelyn Is Not Real". Naturally, it's a good one :-)

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 08:00 am:   

Thanks-I love Mike's work and am looking forward to it. I have a new story by him for Inferno, my non-themed horror anthology coming out from Tor in October 2007.

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 04:32 am:   

The 21st Elastic Press publication, "So Far, So Near" by Mat Coward, will be published on 1st February 2007 and is available for ordering NOW:

"My cat gets inside the TV and kills people. I know it does, I’ve seen it. But you just cannot argue with nature."

Killer cats. Just one of the extraordinary ideas spun into story by Mat Coward, a writer whose fiction is underpinned by an oblique sense of humour and infused with his wry take on life. Time travel, flying saucers, and little green men are often SF’s starting points, but rarely have they been given the affectionate twists that Coward bestows on them. If you believe science fiction is the fiction of ideas then this unique collection is for you.

Journey through these seventeen stories and unravel the mystery of dead ghosts, discover why fresh air is so clean, and understand why the Joke Squad is one of the busiest in the police force, whilst Coward’s characters deal with infestations of horses, witches running call centres, and ponder the eternal question: if time travel is possible then where are all the time travellers?

So Far, So Near. Worlds that are but a side step away from our reality.

"I was thrilled to find 'We All Saw It' in this collection. It had stuck in my mind ever since I first read it. All the stories here have that distinctive tang, of the intrusion of the alien or fantastic on the ordinary, that we remember from some classic SF and are delighted to find again. Better yet, we find it fresh, and with a sharp philosophical and political mind behind observant eyes. Humanist SF with Martian cool!" - Ken MacLeod

"Even with extremely humorous booby-traps lurking for anyone with the ability to laugh, Mat Coward cannot disguise his basic humanity – nor can he hide his consummate skills at writing, damn fine story-telling, and dialogue to kill for." Read this book – Jon George, author of Zootsuit Black (Tor UK)

As usual, the book is available both as a paperback and signed limited edition hardback. We have only a handful of the hardbacks left, so if you require one please email me (elasticpress@elasticpress.com) to reserve a copy (£16.50 inc p&p). And I must say these are the spunkiest looking hardbacks we’ve done yet!

As there won’t be a launch event for this title, the first 50 copies of the paperback ordered direct from us (or Shocklines in the States) will also be signed and numbered by Mat. Any existing paperback pre-orders are guaranteed signed copies, and I’m sure the others will sell fast, so don’t delay and purchase today! All information about the book, including an excerpt, author profile, and payment details can be found on the website: www.elasticpress.com

Thanks for reading :-)

Andrew

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:11 am:   

Our website at Elastic Press has been updated with pre-order information for our 1st May 2007 publication, a collection of horror stories by the renowned Tony Richards titled Going Back. Pop along and buy the book now, alternatively if you want one of the 26 limited signed and lettered hardcovers email me as per the above post.

Blurb for the book is as follows:

After it happened, my marriage only lasted two more months. Janine? She would tell me that it wasn’t really my fault. But she never looked in my eyes once, each time she said it. And by mid-February, she was gone.

Time is of the essence, and in these fourteen stories from acclaimed horror writer Tony Richards the essence of time is the link that pulls his characters together. Richards explores the nature of reality and perception filtered through the conduit of time; examines how our decisions can lead us down unsettling paths, and however carefully we make our choices they can still contain strange consequences, often tragic ones.

A man becomes trapped within a never-ending day, another tries to prevent a child’s death by returning to the past. Nine rocks predict the end of the world, and a beautiful stranger continues to exist physically even though her time is at an end. Meanwhile non-existent cats play havoc with a bewildered couple’s life, as mortality nudges at our shoulders, drawing ever closer.

If only time wasn’t linear. Which way would you turn the clock, forward or back?

“A terrific story-teller” – Graham Joyce

“An amazing voice” – James A. Moore

“Man, can this guy write. (He) has the power to introduce you all over again to the pleasures of reading good prose” – Ed Gorman

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |