A Stone To Mark My Passing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Battersby, Lee » A Stone To Mark My Passing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lee Battersby
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:55 am:   

For those who fancy a read, the wonderful Anna Tambour has reprinted my story 'A Stone To Mark My Passing' on her Virtuous Medlar Circle.

You can find it here:

http://www.annatambour.net/AStonetoMarkMyPassing.htm

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:17 am:   

I am not going to say anything about this but it's a fucking great title for a bloody good story. BTW I read a review in the Courier Mail on the weekend for the movie "The Family Stone". The reviewer summed up "sinks like a stone seems appropriate".
This doesn't apply to Lee's story at all, but as Lee has pointed out to me before the word "stone" gives reviewers a great entre.

Ben Payne
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:54 am:   

For some reason this title always makes me think of passing a kidney stone... something which I've never had to do but find terrifying..

Lee Battersby
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:49 am:   

Gee, that's better than "this title always makes me think of the story's brilliant plot and characters"... :-)

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:43 am:   

Readers' instructions: Ben should read story first. Ben having read story will say, "Fucking great story. Did I mention kidney stones; I didn't mean to mention kidney stones. That's a really cool story."

Lee Battersby
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:06 am:   

You know, not even mentioning kidney stones is going to stop Sean Wallace from wanting to make it the title of the collection.

At which point, open season on Battersby will undoubtedly be declared :-)

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 01:49 am:   

Well, the future is unwritten Batboy. I hope I didn't scare Ben away. I didn't mean to be mean. My problem is that with short stories I mostly ignore titles and the name of the writer. When I get to the end and go wow, nice one, I go back and check out the details.

Unless, of course, I've done that before, in which case I always read the "wow, nice one" writers first.

Kate E
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 05:12 am:   

I have a real thing about titles. When I open a new anthology it's a tug of war between reading the stories by people I know and love first, and reading the stories that have the most gorgeous titles.

Ellison has great titles. Many a time I've loved the title of one of his stories far better than the fiction itself.

My own titles are fairly dull. Rob always has inventive ones for his, for which I tease him about trying to be too Bradbury-esque.

If it's worth anything to you Lee, A Stone To Mark My Passing is one of the gorgeous ones.

Lee Battersby
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   

I struggle with titles: I want them to reflect the story, but trying to do that without resorting to boring single word jobbies sometimes defeats me. I love Ellison's titles, as well as Phil Dick's and some of Aldiss'.

Ben Payne
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:10 am:   

Geoff, I tend to forget the title once I'm into the story. It's usually at the end of the story that the title gains relevance.

Lee: My titles are all single words... need to work on that!

Lee Battersby
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:11 pm:   

Yeah, but a title like "Boys" was perfect for the story that it headed. Sometimes a single word can have impact, particularly when in a ToC next to multi-worded headings.

I just sometimes look at my titles and think "Meh. And this stands out how?"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration