HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

February updates

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Infinity Plus » February updates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith Brooke
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:05 am:   

Yes, it's been quiet at infinity plus, but we are due another update. As mentioned elsewhere, I've moved from a weekly schedule to updates every 2 to 3 weeks, mainly to allow me more writing time. I'm aiming for an update at the weekend - 22 or 23 Feb. I don't know what it'll include as yet - probably a story from Roger Levy, an interview (maybe Ian McDonald) and some other stuff.

Keith
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:51 am:   

Just to confirm: the latest update includes The Morning After by Roger Levy [short story], a feature on the Arthur C Clarke Award by Adam Roberts, Night of the Beast by Harry Shannon [novel extract] an Ian McDonald interview by Nick Gevers, and a big batch of reviews.

Stuff from Tim Lebbon, Gwyneth Jones and others lined up for the next update in 2 or 3 weeks.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:14 pm:   

Keith

Read most of the new IPlus stuff and thought that Adam's piece on the Clarke's was excellent as always, even when I didn't completely agree with it. Keep up the excellent work.

Jonathan

Keith
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 04:30 am:   

Thanks, Jonathan. I'll pass your comments on to Adam.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   

One thing that bothered me about the piece on the Clarke award:

"'It's in High Kettai,' she said, 'but it's not from Gnurr Kett, and it's not old. Krüach Aum is anophelii.'

Silas looked up, aghast. [189]

These terms are all explained in due course, but when we first meet these sentences we don't know what they mean, we have to take Silas's shock on trust, and the effect is one of telling not showing."

Unless my memory deceives me, at this point in the novel, the only word in the quoted passage that the reader is not acquainted with is "anophelii", and the effect of having to "take the shock on trust" is surely one which Mieville could not have been unaware of, nor could it have been avoided without some rather complicated contortions.

Aside from that, a rather good piece.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |