Twenty Six Lies/One Truth Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Peek, Ben » Twenty Six Lies/One Truth « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 04:22 am:   

Okay, so, here's the coolness:

I have sold a chapbook to Wheatland Press called Twenty Six Lies/One Truth.

This book will actually be the reworked and completed alphabet pieces (http://benpeek.livejournal.com/445104.html) that I was doing on my blog. Doing a book means that I get to go back, clean up the stronger pieces, and rework others to make it a cohesive whole, as well as finish it. It should be pretty cool, I reckon.

Assuming there's no problem, it'll be published round the World Fantasy Con, in November.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   

An early look at Twenty-Six Lies/One Truth is on my blog.

You should do the click thing to see the fucking cool cover, at least:

http://benpeek.livejournal.com/468094.html

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 07:29 pm:   

That cover is pretty sweet.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 07:44 pm:   

andy made on a typewriter, too. he's going to have an essay or something on it in the back of the book, i believe.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   

you can pre-order 26lies now at the Wheatland Press website

http://www.wheatlandpress.com/

It's $14.95, plus postage and handling.

The pre-ordering price is two dollars less than it will cost when it gets to booksellers, so it's a good time to buy now, for that reason, though I have more, naturally. The second reason is that pre-ordering also comes with the bonus I Hate Ben Peek badge, which I know many of you are dying to own in addition to the autobiography. The book will ship in November: it's written, the cover is done, and all that remains is a bit of editing, and for the internal art to be finished. The art is being provided by Anna Brown and it's all kinds of quirky, alternative comic styling stuff. Very groovy.

That lovely publisher of taste, Deborah Layne, said, after reading it, that she had "been left with sense of having read something much, much bigger. It's funny, moving, terrifying, shocking, and several points in between."

ben peek
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   

i tried to post the image here, but couldn't figure. anyhow, up on my blog is a sample of the art by Anna Brown for 26LIES:

http://benpeek.livejournal.com/480682.html?view=3108778#t3108778

there's eighteen internal images, a kind of mini comic. looks sweet.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 03:30 pm:   

26liescover

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 03:32 pm:   

hey, neat. that worked. final cover for 26lies, which'll be available at world fantasy.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 04:01 am:   

you can buy the book now, of course. but more importantly, you can see the campaign of hate.

http://benpeek.livejournal.com/496964.html

ben peek
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 04:21 pm:   

26Lies found itself onto Jeff VanderMeer's 12 Overlooked Books of 2006:

"Ben Peek is a writer I fully expect to blunder out into the scene like a run-away brontosaurus one of these days. He has titanic talent generally leashed to micro-detail projects when his true canvas is probably something much wider and deeper. Twenty-Six Lies/One Truth is a gently experimental text that uses a glossary of terms from A to Z to create vignettes, one-liners, and other supports for loosely connected narratives. Some are funny, some are most definitely not funny. All are lively and deserve your attention"

http://www.locusmag.com/Features/2007/01/2006-twelve-overlooked-books.html

there's a couple of positive reviews round, too, that i liked through my blog. follow the link tag if you're curious:

http://benpeek.livejournal.com/tag/twentysixlies/onetruth

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   

here's a real positive review of 26lies:

"26 Lies/1 Truth by Ben Peek is, among other things, a book about authorial fraud. Hardly surprising, then, that Peek uses the opportunity to commit a spot of authorial fraud himself. Or does he?

To be honest, I emerged from the book feeling somewhat dazed and exhausted (having read it from beginning to end within a 24 hour period), and I’m not entirely sure what I feel about it. Impressed, certainly. Curious, definitely. A little pissed off... well, maybe.

Let’s start with the basics. 26 Lies/1 Truth claims to be “the autobiography of a man who has been nowhere, done nothing and met nobody.” It is thickly detailed with the life history of Mr Ben Peek, taking in his relationships with family, friends, and developing writing career. Through a series of dialogues, it also reveals (piece by piece) the relationship between Peek and “G,” who may or may not be the one woman he claims to have loved. Indispersed with these character windows are occasional vignettes discussing a variety of the more famous literary hoaxes of history, covering pseudonyms, cultural appropriations, and some very recent literary outrages.

One idea which I felt was very strongly a part of the book, though never overtly stated, is that the measurable scandal or outrage caused by a literary hoax depends very much on what a person is pretending to be. An author of fiction who pretends to belong to a minority culture is seen as the devil incarnate, whereas someone who pretends to belong to a more privileged subgroup (at its simplest, a woman writer pretending to be a man) is sympathised with, and approved of. Ben Peek, a self-confessed white male English speaking Australian, can therefore not commit any kind of socially approved authorial fraud unless he finds someone more advantaged than himself whom he can pretend to be. The fraud that he chooses to portray, viewed through this light, becomes all the more fascinating."

http://www.asif.dreamhosters.com/doku.php?id=26_lies_1_truth

There's more. Follow the link, then buy it :-)

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 03:30 pm:   

Another review of 26Lies:

"26 Lies is not a dogmatic work... At times the entries seem to argue that as a society we must have some recourse to truth, while at other times the emotional power of “fictional” events seems to contradict this, to sucker us into identification and investments (experiences, in a sense) which cannot simply be dispersed or dissolved by suggestions of falsehood.

Every reader will no doubt emerge from this novel with different impressions. Indeed, it is a book which lends itself to enjoyable arguments over interpretation.

What I got from it is this: that truth matters when it matters, and doesn’t when it doesn’t. And that each of us must find our own path as to where that distinction lies. 26 Lies, 1 Truth is an intelligent, playful, funny, challenging, thoughtful and deeply moving work. It is a book filled with outrageous lies. And it is a book filled with truth.

But why should you take my word for it? Read it for yourself."

http://www.asif.dreamhosters.com/doku.php?id=26_lies_1_truth

(ASif double reviews, so that's why the link is the same as the one before.)

The book is doing quite well for itself--I haven't heard of anyone who has hated it, which is shocking, really. It could become cult in twenty years when you buy it off ebay for a couple of bucks (and I'm long dead) :-)

PM
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 06:32 pm:   

Better do better than that! I expect full cover price plus inflation at a bare minimum.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   

well, you better start hoping i die real soon for that, man :-)

PM
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 02:21 pm:   

I understand that there are a number of unemployed or underemployed assassins/ninjas nearby so whenever you give the word...

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   

heh. well, maybe we'll just hold on that word. but i can think of a few others who i wouldn't weep over the casual assassination of...

PM
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   

sounds like you already have a hit list :-)

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   

i'm an opinionated sort ;)

PM
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 06:51 am:   

Just finished reading the book.

The car crash crashes...oh my...one supposes that there can/will be various disagreements/agreements with what's been written up to this point...but the car crash is undeniably serious.

What a terrible event!

Then I think what if it didn't happen. What if it's just a lie?

It would be a terrible, seemingly unforgivable lie.

But then suggesting that it's a lie. What a terrible thing to suggest!

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:39 am:   

i can't help you out, pm. i made a deal never to discuss the contents as i wrote it. i'd hate to make a liar out of myself.

:-)

PM
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 03:18 am:   

Ironic.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration