HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Bits of Fiction.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Peek, Ben » Bits of Fiction. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ben peek
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 11:42 pm:   

It's the second half of 2005, so here's the fiction that has come round this year for those interested.

Most recently, my story 'The Dreaming City' from LEVIATHAN FOUR: CITIES, published by Nightshade and edited by Forrest, was reprinted in THE YEAR'S BEST AUSTRALIAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. Which is pretty cool, because the story is about Sydney, and it'll get read by people in Australia.

Which is nice, you know?

I also have a story in issue 7 of FULL UNIT HOOKUP. It's called 'An Examination into the Chinese Made Roman Toga'. It's a comedy, I guess.

Earlier in the year, my revenge story, 'Dream of a Russian Princess' was published at Ticonderoga Online. You can hit this link for it if you want:
http://ticonderogaonline.org/003March2005/fiction003b.html

And another story called 'Johnny Cash (a tale in questionnaire results)' was published at Shadowed Realms. Link hit:
http://www.shadowedrealms.com.au/issue4/cash.htm

The last one is part of an story cycle I'm working on called Dead Americans, where I used dead Americans as central characters or important elements of the story. You note the cycle because they're named after the dead American. This is the first one, but I got another written, and another planned. The idea is, at the end of the sequence, to show a sort of historical arc when veiwing America from the outside. Least, that's the theory.

And I dig my theories :-)

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 01:36 am:   

Hey Ben,

The Dead Americans story cycle sounds cool, loved the Johnny Cash piece. Make sure you let us know when the next one comes out.

I've yet to get myself a copy of the Years Best Australian SF & F, but "The Dreaming City" is a major reason I will be.

Enough of the sucking up, don't want to make you sick. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:20 am:   

Hey Trent--

Thanks on the Dead Americans cycle. It sounds good in my head but will probably take a while to see if it works, maybe. It's something that I want to be able to act as a marker for a certain time, yet remain readable and without pages of history to give it a time and context if you go back (and it might tank on that side an might indeed be the kind of fiction you can't read unless it's in a certain time, which is okay if it happens like that).

I hope you dig 'The Dreaming City'.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 06:29 pm:   

Issue 4 of Potato Monkey contains my story 'Night of the Dead King'. It's from my sword and sorcery, western, steampunk, faerie myth smash world, which was first seen in 'Scratches in the Sky' in Agog! Fantastic Fiction. Everyone loves a mashed influence world.

Plus, who cannot love a zine called Potato Monkey?

ben peek
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:16 am:   

Sold a story called 'John Wayne (As Written by a Non-American)' to Aurealis, which is a magazine here in Australia. It's the second of my Dead American stories, so if you dug 'Johnny Cash', chances are you might dig this.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 02:31 am:   

And, if you dig Johnny Cash, it'll be reprinted in Bill Congreve and Michelle Marquardt's The Year's Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy. It'll also be reprinted in The Year's Best Australian Dark Fantasy and Horror edited by Shane J. Cummings and Angela Challis.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:25 pm:   

If you're at the World Horror Convention, keep a look out for a magazine called Phantom, edited by Nick Mamatas, and published by Prime. It'll have my story 'Mono' in it, which is my attempt to use page space differently.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:53 pm:   

My novelette 'Under the Red Sun' will appear in Fantasy Magazine, issue three, maybe. Which is cool and gives me the illusion of being prolific ;)

Ben Payne
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:38 am:   

Swoit. Congrats.

Trent Jamieson
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 05:44 am:   

That's great, Ben. Fantasy Magazine looks really cool.

I've found the illusion of prolificacy can also be achieved with a mirror and a large handkerchief.

ben peek
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   

thanks guys.

i like this illusion of prolificacy and it has come at the right time, too, since i didn't have much planned for this year.

for my next trick, however, i will look respectful ;)

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   

this is not actually a bit of fiction, but for two weeks (until the 18th, i think) i'm doing a sort of interview thing on this forum:

http://www.asif.dreamhosters.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

nothing huge, but it might interest some, if only cause there's a language filter and i can't call no one a cunt ;)

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 04:54 pm:   

My story 'The Souls of Dead Soldiers are for Blackbirds, Not Little Boys' will appear in Agog! Ripping Reads, edited by Cat Sparks. Table of contents is here:

http://www.catsparks.net/agogpress/newanthology.htm

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 09:12 pm:   

aw. man. i'd been spam free for so long...

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 09:24 pm:   

Now you're screwed, pal. They're gonna make a nest in here, and start breeding ...

Lucius
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 09:43 pm:   

This is a particularly noxious example. Better start sweeping, I still get six to ten messages a day.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 03:41 am:   

blah. maybe if i sent in some religious spam. or voodoo spam. fight spam with spam.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 05:21 am:   

You can send me some voodoo spam...I'm always up for voodoo spam. :-)

luciusx
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   

Hey Ben, where can I get Doubt Seeds online?

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   

http://www.sanity.com.au/product/rockpop.asp?sku=-968507

sanity is one of those big chain stores, if you don't have one in the states. i've used the online store a couple of times for things i can't find, and it's been quick and reliable.

it's a cool album. best local release for a while, maybe. if sanity doesn't work out, let me know, and i'll burn you a copy.

luciusx
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   

Thanks, man....

luciusx
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   

Shit, they don't take US dollars -- seems a bit shortsighted, considering they take Canadian. So if you want to burn me a copy, I definitely owe you.

Maybe I'll buy one of your t-shirts. Gets me to thinking there'd be a lot of takers fpr an I Hate Lucius T-shirt. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 04:11 am:   

man, that's weird, given that they've got a US price listing. ah well. no hassles. toss me a postal address at benpeek at livejournal.com and i'll burn you a copy.

i haven't got no i hate ben peek t-shirts yet. just buttons :-) i wanted to have a cool design, but never gave much look into finding someone to do it. but i'm figuring you been round longer than me, so more people in that line ;)

ah. it's funny making money off your hate.

Luciusx
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 06:27 am:   

Yeah, but when I started to check out, t got to the alternate currency button, they only gave me six or seven choices, canadian, japanese, euros, et al. Maybe it's my browser. I'll try again this morning, and if it doesn't work, I'll shoot you an address.

It's amazing the number of ways one can incur hate in this field, and it's equally amazing how many people beloved of many achieve this status are two-faced gits. Taking a strong stance on any subject is helpful, even if only the plight of the Nordic flea, but it could be anything. You might just be standing in the wrong place, a shaft of a red sunset strike your face, and a Satanic reputation is born. People are fucking mad.

ben peek
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 05:59 pm:   

that's strange about the currency. would've just thought they charged your card, and converted it. still, like i said, no hassle the other way.

i could go for some satanic stuff in my public hate, i reckon. why not? i could start a line of satanic rock like shirts. still, it's not that bad. it is fucked up how people get all worked up over an opinion. it's not like people in this field don't start off getting a shit load of rejections. think people would be able to put things in perspective on the whole importance level, but there you go. people get all worked up bout the most useless shit. not like there's a war going on, or our leaders lie to us daily, or banks shaft for your money...

luciuss
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   

It strikes me that the whole world operates very much like junior high...I get more extreme reactions to film reviews than to anything else I write.

ben peek
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   

yeah. i've gotten more from two reviews than anything else. it's a weirdness.

i saw your post on my blog, man. it's a public area, so i just deleted it after copying it down, and that way no one can snag the address. it'll be no hassle. you're better off using the email address in the future, tho. all sorts of freaks read those comments :-)

luciuss
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   

Danke....

Re: Marisha Pessl. I wouldn't read that shit if you held a knife to my balls. Wry send-ups of the entire western canon, my ass!

ben peek
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   

heh. i thought the idea of a book narrated in a kind of essay styled chapters (least that's what the review and such implied) sounded okay. kinda fictio-critical, even. but that brilliant teenage narrator bit wasa huge turn off. if i come across one more brilliant teenager commenting on western society, it'll be all too soon, man.

plus, they're advertising her on her attractiveness. i ain't trusting no good looking author :-)

luciusk
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   

Yeah, cool, but when you get right down to it, it's all about writing and story, and I'm getting weary of tarted-up crap passing for post-modern.

If they're selling her store-to-store, maybe I'd take the plunge, Otherwise... :-)

ben peek
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   

yeah, it is all about how you write and how the story works, but i kind of like to see different forms. something that pushes outside the linear way. or maybe just a different way to do something, or mix up form. there's a lot of shitty, wanky ways to do it, but i always like a piece that just does it honestly. i don't reckon the pessl book is going to be it--i reckon there's a vibe to it that maybe it thinks its smarter than it is, but who knows.

and i suppose i won't know with this book. heh. but there're plenty of other books out there.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   

and

for more new bits of fiction, 'theleeharveyoswaldband' will be in POLYPHONY 6, edited by deborah layne and jay lake. all coolness :-)

ben peek
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 04:29 pm:   

upcoming fiction in 2007:

--'The Funeral, Ruined' in Moonlit Domes, edited by E. Sedia.

--'Possession' in Fantasy Magazine.

'John Wayne (as written by a non-american' in Aurealis (issue 37, I think.)

and

--'the Nabokov', with Steph Campisi, in the Surreal Botany Field Guide, edited by Jason Lundaberg and Janet Chui.

And yeah, I do remember this board exists :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |