Sit. Stay. Surrender. (In other words... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Peek, Ben » Sit. Stay. Surrender. (In other words, hello and welcome.) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ben peek
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   

Hi.

So, Jeff and Nightshade have given me a bit of an electronic place to sit and hang for a while, which is nice. I've been hanging round on the board for a while (not talking about rockstar INXS because of shepard and the others over on his board, no...) so I'm probably not a new name for some.

However, for those to who I am, I'm Ben Peek, an author based out of Sydney, Australia. I've published a bit of short fiction, which I'll put a different thread and some links up for, and I've a novel coming out from Prime next year. Again, new thread for that. I publish a range of speculative fiction stuff, most of it a bit irregular, but some people seem to dig it, so that's cool.

My other home on the web is my blog, which has been used as a tool for good and a tool for bad. Or, as was said to me earlier today, spewing my hate into the minds of innocents. I dunno about that, but you got to have a bit of fun, and blogging is its own entertainment. You wanna check it out, it's over here:

http://benpeek.livejournal.com

Check it. Say hi (here or there). It's all friendly.

JV
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 06:59 am:   

Welcome, Ben! I enjoy your livejournal a lot.

JeffV

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 07:16 am:   

Howdy, Ben. Enjoyed Johnny Cash. Like Art of Fighting. Generally approve. :-)

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   

Jeff: Thanks, man. You know, I've gotten editors who are replying to my submissions that start by saying, "I love your blog," and after that, their opinion of my stuff always seems... lesser :-) It's a strange thing well outta my control.

Lucius: Thanks. I'm all for general approval. It's a healthy ambition and slightly out of my usual means :-)

Art of Fighting is very cool. You go their albums? I've always wondered how they have traveled outside the country.

AT
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   

You couldn't give a stuff for general approval, Ben. That's what I like the most about you. And btw, you write so many quotables that I couldn't pick my favourites, but these'll do for a start:

In Sydney, there's been harsh winds, so harsh that it threatens to lift the toupee from an old man's head as he walks down Anzac Parade, forcing him to place both hands on his head to hold it in place.
Obviously, the right choice as an alternative to baldness.
- BP

A mullet hair piece is a bold and daring statement. It's stupid, certainly, but a bold and daring statement nonetheless. - BP

The ability to buy a bucket of M&Ms is, one would think, completely unnecessary. - BP

You know you have gainful employment when you spend your morning listening to three eight year olds tell you that not only is eating your snot good for you, but it's tasty, too. - BP

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   

I've only got their second album, but like it...generally. Been thinking about ordering the eps. EPs are often crunchier.

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 08:47 pm:   

Anna: Yeah, I'm a regular quotable machine :-) My goal is to become one of those obscure, unknown authors quoted at the front of books by those more successful than I could ever be.

Lucius: The EPs are rougher round the edges, certainly. I don't like them as much as the albums, but I like them well enough. Hopefully you'll still be able to find them round as I heard they were getting a bit rare. I ended up buying one of them from a gig because I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Lucius
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   

Rough around the edge = crunchier.

They sell 'em on their site....

JV
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   

What Anna said, Ben: You couldn't give a stuff for general approval, Ben. That's what I like the most about you.

JV

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   

Lucius: Yeah, but sometimes rougher can mean just 'not very good' :-) Still, if you run into any probs finding the eps on the site, let me know and I'll burn a copy of 'em for you.

And Jeff and Anna: Shhh. You'll have people thinking I don't want to hear nice things about myself. Then it'll just be bitch bitch bitch Ben burns kittens bitch bitch bitch Ben hates everything bitch bitch bitch :-)

(there are so many smileys in my posts here)

Deborah Biancotti
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 01:42 am:   

So *this* is where you've been ... ;)

db

AT
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:58 am:   

Ben, you can chew the wings off faeries for all I care, but if you smiley any more, I'll try my hardest to make sure you miss your goal, and instead become famous, always misquoted, and known, above all, for spewing sugar. And I'll pirate your Black Sheep and repackage it, and publicise the book to buggery.

BLACK SHEEP by Ben Peek, is the title of his genre-making novel: Set in a little girl's bedroom, where her sheep-shaped jelly beans have been ranged on her pillow: smiling with no teeth showing (sweet), smiling with top teeth showing (sweeter), and smiling with teeth, gums and tongue showing (pure sugar). She wishes very very hard for a black-sheep jelly bean that is sweeter than pure sugar, and her wish is answered, to her joy and your child's.

It's a cheery book that you can buy safely for all children from egg-fertilization to eighty.

And I'll design the covers appropriately.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:23 am:   

But Anna, what'll I do with my second novel about sheep shaped jelly beans if you do that now? It's what I'm hoping to make my money out of! 'Ben Peek's Jelly Bean Factory'. Honest.

And yeah, Deb, here I am. Stay and play with everyone.

Cat Sparks
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   

Hi Ben,

I do love those quotes of yours that Anna singled out. Except for the one about the bucket of M&Ms -- I'm afraid you're just plain wrong about that one. I can fully understand why such a product is necessary.

ben peek
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:39 pm:   

I remember it being a pretty big bucket, you know? The size of someone's head, easily. I've seen people buy buckets of paint that were smaller.

Mari Ness
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 08:41 pm:   

Sometimes you just need a lot of M&Ms.

Someday, you may have a moment when you understand this.

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:52 am:   

I don't think I'll ever need that many. Anyhow, it's nice to see you here, Mari.

Ben Payne
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   

Bloody hell, what is this, Australians getting recognised on the web week? Between this board and the Vanderblog you guys are seriously threatening our ability to bitch about how unknown and underappreciated local authors are:-)

Ben Payne
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 05:40 pm:   

PS. yeah, Art of Fighting are way cool...

ben peek
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   

I dunno, man, I reckon we can always bitch about that. It's the Australian past time to talk about how no one loves us.

Hell, I don't even love us ;)

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:03 am:   

Bloody Australians.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:54 am:   

That's the spirit!

(Hey there, Jay.)

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:41 am:   

Ow's it goin', mate?

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:06 am:   

Buggered, mate. I took the missus out to have a pash, but got sprung by the coppers an' 'ad to do a uey right then an' there to give 'em a bribe. Got back to missus' place, got a bit smashed, woke up next to the transvestite sister. Had a blue shortly after. Still, all in all, a right old time.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

Bonzer!

Minz
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   

I'm a little disturbed that Ben's post made perfect sense to me...

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 03:36 pm:   

It's all those times you've sat down and watched CROCODILE DUNDEE, Minz. After a while it just seeps into your head and you find yourself calling your partner, "Shazza."

(I feel so dirty making these posts. Heh.)

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:23 am:   

I'm a little disturbed that you can talk in relative terms about being disturbed, Minz.

Minz
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:45 am:   

Perhaps I should have said, "I'm a little disturbed. And Ben's post makes perfect sense to me."

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   

Ben, please contact me. There has been a misunderstanding and I'd like to apologize.

Angeline Hawkes-Craig aloucraig@yahoo.com

ben peek
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   

Uh huh.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 08:39 am:   

Thank you, Ben.
AHC

Lee Battersby
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   

You know, Ben, my Mum always used to say that the ones you hated most publicly were the ones you desired most in private.

So when should we expect to hear the cursing of little baby Peek-Hawkes-Craigs? :-)

ben peek
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 12:53 am:   

lee, i can assure you i haven't got hate for hawkes-craig. her spam was just an annoyance. ain't no one seen me angry on my blog before.

there's a thought for you :-)

Lee Battersby
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 03:40 am:   

I like a man whose emotions have a blast radius :-)

ben peek
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 05:09 am:   

my emotions are all one big mess. just ask anyone.

Lee Battersby
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 08:50 am:   

Hey, we live on opposite sides of the largest island on Earth, and some nights I can see the glow on the horizon...

I'm assuming it's not Deb Biancotti's night light :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration