In the Blood / are there any limits? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Brooke, Keith » In the Blood / are there any limits? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 04:46 am:   

I'm currently working on the final edit of my next teen novel, In The Blood. It's a while since I've read it and some of the scenes are surprising me in subtle and un-subtle ways. Some of it is very dark, with some quite horrific violence... It's not gratuitous in any way (I would claim) and is entirely justified by the dark themes it explores: the human urge to violence that's in us all.

But this is a *kids'* book... Should there be different limits here? Am I, as my editorial director once said, "brilliantly depraved"?

Jay C
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:46 am:   

Not sure if there should be limits. Everything I've heard about YA, for instance, is that it pushes more boundaries than usually found in so-called adult fiction.

It depends, I guess, upon emotional level and capacity to deal and process. Look at computer games and movies. Where exactly are the limits there?

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:53 pm:   

That category will include either GTA3 and Audition or Aladdin: The Game and Barney's Great Adventure, seeing as how there doesn't seem to be much of an "intelligent YA" category in either games or movies, so I'm not sure if either one is a particularly useful indicator.

Keith
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:37 am:   

I'm not so sure that YA is pushing more boundaries - perhaps it's that we're more aware when those boundaries are being pushed? And there are more gatekeepers defending those boundaries.

Keith
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 02:44 am:   

I've just seen the cover rough for In The Blood: a wonderfully atmospheric view of a gravestone, with title and author engraved on the stone, all the colours skewed into deep reds and burnt out yellows. I like it!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration