Piggies Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Brooke, Keith » Piggies « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keith
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:40 am:   

Let's start a separate thread for Piggies - my first teen novel, written under the pen-name Nick Gifford:
www.nickgifford.co.uk

First up: I've just spotted this rather nice review:
http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030.asp?tid=2&scid=67&iid=1447

Keith
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:46 am:   

JeffV asked: Any news on Piggies?

Well, lots of good reviews, and as Iain said in another thread, the booksellers have really taken to it: WH Smith made it Read of the Week shortly after publication; Waterstone's featured me (in my Nick Gifford guise) as some kind of hot new talent; WH Smith Travel have it as their Book of the Month this month; and Ottakar's currently have it as their Teen Book of the Month...

It's been astounding what a good response this book has had. Am I really that much better a children's author than I am an adult author, or is it all to do with timing, marketing, opportunity, the direction of the wind and other strange factors?

Jorge
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 05:57 am:   

I can't answer that question, Keith. All I can say is that here, in the southwestern tip of Europe, children's literature sells a lot better than SF&F. Consequently, it also has a lot more visibility in the media.

Perhaps something of the sort happens in the UK?

Des
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 08:17 am:   

I've really enjoyed PIGGIES, Keith. It is quite brilliant.
Also, it has an added value for me as it *seems* to take place around where I live - Kirby and Weeley both very near to Clacton-on-Sea in Essex, UK. I know you live in Essex, too, not far away from here. I've asked this question before elsewhere, but as you've set up a specific thread, I'd like to record this question on it - but you have no need to reply! ;-)
The real Kirby has two parts: Kirby Cross and Kirby-Le-Soken. The 'cross' and 'soken' (blood-soken?!) seem somehow relevant to a plot dealing with vampires. Did you intend this subtle resonance? Nowhere are these two words used in 'Piggies'.
Des

Keith
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 04:41 am:   

Des: Maybe I made the connection between cross, soken and Kirby somewhere in the depths of my subconscious, but I must confess that I was just playing with words and place names.

The book is set in a subtly modified version of Brightlingsea where I live, but I took the name of nearby Kirby for the town in the book largely because it sounded right. What appealed to me about this process was that in the book Ben is transported into a parallel world that is subtly different to his own; and yet his own world in the book is subtly different to *our* own... Not many people would spot that, but it tickled *me*.

Keith
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:52 am:   

I heard recently that Piggies is to be reprinted again - its fourth printing inside two months!

Des
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

Congratulations, Keith (Nick Gifford)!
You must be getting up there with Harry Potter, now? No joke. Des

Keith
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 07:03 am:   

Over on the infinity plus board, Des said:
"PS: Please do let us all know on your 'Piggies' thread any further news on its wonderful success."

Not much to say at the moment, although it still seems to be doing well in the shops. I'm expecting some good news fairly soon, though, once the final details have been sorted out :-)

Jan Perfect
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:54 am:   

Can I just say how much I,as a female senior citizen who's read her fair share(and more) of SF ,fantasy and horror,enjoyed Piggies?I should imagine it will appeal to the younger generation as well.Apart from the absolutely stunning cover illo.,I enjoyed the plot,and the characters.I originally bought the book to release through Bookcrossing,but it looked so interesting,I had to read it first! And I am now on the lookout for more of your work.I was prompted to write thro'another Bookcrosser,who was one of your students at uni.

Keith B
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:50 am:   

Hi, Jan,

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated!

Bookcrossing's great, isn't it? Details at: http://www.bookcrossing.com/

And yes, semioticghost has been good enough to release several of my books (both written as Nick Gifford and Keith Brooke) into the wild.

I'm curious: what sort of places do you choose to release books? Is it a surreptitious thing, where you check that no-one is looking and then casually leave the book on a coffee-shop table or similar, or, taking the coffee shop example, would you ask the owner if they'd support this kind of activity? I can see the appeal of both approaches.

SpikeJ
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 10:33 am:   

Piggies is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I consumed it in a weekend. Anybody have any other reccomendations?

Spike

corporate identity

KeithB
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 11:57 pm:   

Thanks, Spike!

Recommendations? I suppose it depends on what it was you liked about Piggies. There are other Nick Gifford novels, of course ;-) (new one, Incubus, out in February) And other Keith Brooke novels, too...

My preferred reading at the moment tends to be stuff by people I know - Jeff VanderMeer has to be one of the finest writers around at the moment (if you're reading this, Jeff, I'm just being polite so don't let it go to your head), and I love the work of Michael Swanwick, Kim Stanley Robinson and James Patrick Kelly; one you may not yet have come across is Anna Tambour, whose excellent collection of short fiction, Monterra's Deliciosa, came out earlier this year, with a novel due soon.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration