Shopping in NYC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Shopping in NYC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 05:58 am:   

OK folks. I am looking for some help. I am trying to find currants. I'd prefer red, but I won't be picky if I can find something. I remember not having too much trouble getting them in the Midwest, but have not had good luck finding them out here. To be honest, I haven't looked too hard since I don't know where to begin. But since NYC is the place to find anything you want....

Where would you go to find currants? I'm looking for either a specific place, although 'wander up and down 9th avenue' might work for me, too.

JK

PS--If Barth has any suggestions I'm willing to listen.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 06:00 am:   

Second question: I have a need for a muddler. A muddler is basically a short wooden stick that a bartender uses in a variety of ways. You can crush ice with it, smush up fruit, stir large quantities of drink, etc.

A very common usage for a muddler is to mix up mint juleps. You put all the ingredients in a glass (fresh mint, Kentucky bourbon, sugar, etc.) and use the muddler like a mortar and pestle in the glass to combine everything.

Where is the bar equipment section of the city?

JK

james chapman
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 10:56 am:   

maybe the restaurant supply row, along bowery right above and below houston street might get you your muddler. for currants, you could try a gourmet shop like garden of eden (there's one on 14th st just east of 5th av)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 07:29 pm:   

Those are both good ideas. It sounds like I need to make a little trip over my lunch hour. There's also a Garden of Eden on 23rd and 7th if I'm not mistaken. I'm up near the Rockefeller center area. Anything up my way? Is a trip up to Citarella called for?

JK

Mike S
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 02:13 pm:   

John,

Last time I checked there was some sort of gourmet market in Grand Central, ground level, at the Lex-43rd St entrance.

Mike

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 06:39 am:   

Mike:

That's true, I forgot about that. And Grand Central is relatively close to where I am.

Thank!

JK

William Shunn
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 03:26 pm:   

You know, if you're ever near Grand Central and you're looking for a bar where you can smoke, go to the Oyster Bar. Was there a couple of weeks ago, and it turns out that the state, not the city, has jurisdiction there because it's MTA property.

You work near Grand Central, John? Where? I work at 32nd and Park.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 05:33 am:   

Relatively near to Grand Central. I'm at 46 and Ave of the Americas. Anything I can walk to on my lunch I consider near my work. Perhaps we can convince Herr Minz to meet up with us for lunch some day?

JK

William Shunn
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:49 pm:   

That's about as relative as I am.

Yes, there *must* be a nice central location we can drag Herr Minz to. Herald Square is about equidistant from all of us....

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:07 am:   

Went to Grand Central's gourmet market and found: currants! A ltitle pricier than I'd like, but we have them now and can determine if we want to find a better price on them anywhere else.

Haven't been able to find a muddler, but I know there's got to a place somewhere. Haven't made it down to the Bowery; just too far to make it during lunch so I'll have to come in on the weekend if I want to look.

JK

Mike
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 07:30 pm:   

I'm glad the trip to Grand Central proved...fruitful. (Sorry.) I still have no clue where one would procure a muddler in midtown, unless it was something they had in the basement of Macy's.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:03 am:   

Not that it needs an update, but I was able to keep the muddler a friend left at my place since he had two. In a strange twist, I had two cookbook holders, so we swapped.

Just recently discovered Fairway on Broadway near Citarella. It's fantastic! Only place in the city to buy Hob Nobs. And they dry-age their beef. And sell product on the street like white raspberries etc. It's worth the trip. Just take the 1, 2, 3, or 9 to 72nd street, and you're almost there.

Now, is there anywhere in the states to buy Ruffles All-Dressed potato chips? It's my favorite flavor, but as far as I can tell, they are only available in Canada.

JK

Mike S
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:10 pm:   

John, they have Hob Nobs at most Devon & Blakelys. Plus Cadbury's Flake bars! Yummy. (And Messy.)

John Klima
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:51 pm:   

What's Devon & Blakely's? Also, has anyone been to Meyer's of Keswick down in the village?

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

Yeah, I've been to Myers. My wife developed a taste for British candy from living in Cambridge for a couple of years and indulges it there from time to time. They also carry a few grotesqueries, like marmite.

Devon & Blakely? They're a sandwich and catering place. Mostly in midtown but there's at least one downtown.

Mike S
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:14 am:   

D&B's a lunch place. Actually quite reasonable in terms of lunch places midtown, despite their "upscale" image. I think there's one right near Rock Center on 5th and 51st? Somewhere around there. Or at least used to be. There's one for sure on 5th and 41st. That's where I get my coffee every day. Oh crap, now everybody knows.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   

Walked in there today. In addition to having decent lunch prices, they do carry a small selection of British candy bars and tea biscuits. It's on 5th & 41st. I went to lunch at Taco Mauis on 33rd & 5th, and it has good California Mexican at decent prices.

JK

Liz W
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:56 pm:   

>They also carry a few grotesqueries, like marmite.

Grotesqueries??? GROTESQUERIES!?

Sir, you impugn the greatest culinary item that Perfidious Albion has yet managed to produce. I've eaten it at least once today.

It's duel-on-the-Night-Shade-lawn time again. Choose your weapons. Black yeast paste only, and may the best person win...

And I think that the vegemite boys might have something to say on this issue, as well...

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:18 pm:   

Hoo-ray! I have a duel in my thread!

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:28 pm:   

It's not in your interests to duel with me, Liz, as I'm halfway through NINE LAYERS OF SKY and then I'll never know how it turns out. Plus I'm considering reviewing it, and how can I do this as a marmite-smeared corpse?

Plus I agree with you! Sad as it may seem, marmite probably IS the greatest culinary item that the Brits have yet managed to produce. ;)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:41 pm:   

Ahem. Bounty bars?

Liz W
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:50 pm:   

> Plus I'm considering reviewing it, and how can I do this as a marmite-smeared corpse?

You are quite right about marmite, she said with craven self-serving haste, it is indeed grotesque with a capital 'G'.

Duels? Forsooth, who mentioned duels? We will all go for a slap-up breakfast instead.

>Plus I agree with you! Sad as it may seem, marmite probably IS the greatest culinary item >that the Brits have yet managed to produce. ;)

It's that or black pudding. Feel our pain...

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 02:33 pm:   

In the interests of furthering cross-cultural culinary comprehension I'll note there's actually a lovely Brit-owned fish and chips place in my Brooklyn neighborhood. Not only are the fish and fries fried to golden perfection, but they also have a good selection of British ales. And desserts too, although I tend to shy away from those. "Spotted dick" sounds too much like an entry from Jeff's Thackery Lambshead anthology.

Joking aside, the idea of the UK as a culinary backwater is one of those myths that refuses to die. Honestly, on average I've had better restaurant meals in London than in Paris.

Laura Anne
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 07:35 pm:   

Two words for you, JK -- Trader Joe's.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:18 am:   

And what can I get at Trader Joe's? Is it worth the trip regardless? When I was trying to find ginger Altoids, Trader Joe's was a place that kept coming up in my searches, but I never went. I think there's one not too far from me.

JK

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 01:13 pm:   

Trader Joe's is a great place. I think a more accurate question is what can you not get at Trader Joe's. I'm hopeless enslaved to their soup selection...I'm a sucker for that stuff.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 06:34 am:   

Went to Trader Joe's over the weekend. Eh. There wasn't anything there that isn't already in my regular grocery store (except, of course, the Trader Joe's brand products). Plus, it's nowhere near where I live; in fact, it's easier to get into NYC than it is to get to Trader Joe's. And if I really need something unusual, NYC is the place to find it. Just head up to 75th and Broadway and you're in the midst of a bunch of amazing stores: Zabar's, Citarella, Fairway, and some others I didn't even go into.

Don't get me wrong, if Trader Joe's was easy to get to, it would probably become a semi-regular place to go for stuff, but since I can get most anything I saw there either at Wegman's or the A&P near my home (it actually carries as many imported items as some of those high-faluting NYC stores) there's no need to make the trip.

Oh well.

JK

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:28 am:   

What can I not get at Trader Joes? A good selection of fresh produce, for one thing. I have to admit, I am spoiled, living in California, where it literally grows on trees around here, year around. The Weekly farmers market gives me access to locally grown, organic fresh produce year around, at very reasonable rates.

On the other hand, Trader Joe's prepared frozen food section is pretty good, and I used to be able to get ground baffalo on a regular basis. Used to be able to. Don't know what happened to buffalo at Trader Joe's, and I am still trying to find another supplier.

You haven't lived until you've had "Buffalo Helpler" :-)

-jl

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 07:08 am:   

Yeah, I wish Wegman's website really showed what they carry; they're insane. I can get everything from hamburger to buffalo and ostrich. As well as one of the biggest selections of cheese I've ever seen (and I'm from Wisconsin!). They have an amazing bakery, as well as Patissiere (my spelling on that sucked, sorry Claude!). They have prepared foods that their executive chef designs every day, and then you can go get toilet paper, soda, Cap'n' Crunch, etc. Minz can attest to Wegman's.

But Trader Joe's didn't have anything I couldn't get there.

http://www.wegmans.com

JK

Minz
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:39 am:   

One of the reasons me & the missus decided to focus on this area as one of two places to buy a house was Wegmans.
1) reasonable commute into NYC
2) neighborhood/green space
3) affordable
4) move-in condition
5) Is there a Wegman's nearby?
Okay, it wasn't specifically listed, but I tell ya, it's awesome to have a wonderful grocery nearby, and Wegman's was on the list of pros for the area. Long Island SUCKED!!! The best thing they had was a tiny Trader Joes nearly 20 miles from my house. Wegmans is warehouse style in size, but each area--bakery, butcher, seafood, international, etc--takes on a boutique approach. The only nits to pick are that the bagels aren't as good as NYC bagels (but they are on a par with Panera), and the lunch area, with hot buffets, are not kept fresh, so unless you actually go earlier in the day, it's not a place to go eat. (But if you do go for an early lunch, the Indian and Chinese buffets have a pretty darn good selection and are tasty--especially when you consider that this is a _grocery store_.)

rfw
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:29 am:   

Are you guys Wegman's stockholders? Jeez. So recommend to the board to open one in southwest Ohio already!

There's a Trader Joe's about a 20-30 minute drive from me, but the best place in the area is Jungle Jim's. http://www.junglejims.com/ It's about an hour away, but worth it.

Robert

rdo
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:26 pm:   

I am looking for a two-sided freestanding sidewalk chalkboard for a restaurant. Someone suggested that I might find one in the Bowery, but which store? I'm the manager of a restaurant in Potomac,Maryland called the Picasso Grille. Thanks for the help.

Debbie Ciardo

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:29 am:   

Debbie:

I'm surprised that there's nothing closer to you than NYC. I would think Baltimore or Philadelphia (in fact, I know there's a restaurant supply store in Central City Philly) would be closer and easier to get to. Now, if you were planning on coming to NYC anyway, well....

There are a number of restaurant supply places in the Bowery, but nothing that (as far as I know) specifically caters to the chalkboard sign. Nothing I was able to find led towards one location over the other.

Here's a few places I found online:

http://www.hubert.com/store/catalog/c/108/s/1177/ss/13873/src/108/page.asp

http://auctions.searchmarketing.com/Menu-Boards-Chalkboards--50933-1.html

And there was a lot more. You're bound to find what you're looking for. I can't recommend coming to NYC for this unless you really want to. What you'd probably find is a half-dozen stores in the Bowery with the type of sign you want, and then you could price them and get what you want. But, the second link I posted above is an eBay related link to help guide people better to what you're selling. It may be a good link for you to check back on from time to time.

Hope that helps!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 06:30 am:   

(knocking dust off thread)

OK, I am on a search for poppadoms. I have not been able to find them in the states. Of course in the UK, Walker's makes all sorts of Poppadoms (and other great flavoured crisps like Thai Chile...mmmmmmm....) and even the curry places in London serve poppadoms with dinner. Nothing in the states, that I can find.

Any suggestions?

JK

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 08:17 am:   

The folks over at Chowhound might have something for you.
http://www.chowhound.com/boards/manhat/manhat.html

Search the list first for poppadoms, or Indian grocers, or just Indian. If it doesn't turn anything up, post the question. You'll get a response.

rwexler
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:31 am:   

I can't believe you can't find them in NY! I have several Indian grocery stores in my area. Have you tried the places on Lexington around 28th? Where all the Indian restaurants are. Pretty sure there are markets too.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

Well, it turns out I should be looking for: poppadoms, papadams, and papads. Any of these should be what I'm looking for, and I've certainly seen papads at the Indian grocers within a half-mile of my house. They don't look quite the same, but maybe I'll try some and see.

JK

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:24 am:   

Wexler's right. Curry--I mean Murray Hill area should definitely have Indian grocers.

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 02:55 pm:   

I think any decent Indian store should have them. Look in Queens. I think off the 7 line. Maybe 37 ave. or something, there is an Indian neighbourhood with two or three decent grocery stores. Also lots of gold jewelry stores and the only area I know where you can get a hand rolled betel leaf in the street.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:38 am:   

Here are some answers to questions about Poppadoms:

"I have found them to be fairly common, though the most common spelling I have seen is 'papadum' (or just 'papad'). They come in any number of sizes and varieties (plain, black pepper, chilli)."

"My husband's (Gujarati) family pronounces the word similar to Papard, but I agree the proper spelling is probably papadum. Whenever I see it spelled like that or the way you did I wonder what the heck the person is talking about. The grocery staff might be doing the same. Try asking for Papard (short a's) and see if that works. They are a common item in Indian groceries! BTW, they are easy to prepare: you can either fry them until they crisp up or just stick them in the microwave...it doesn't take more than a few seconds. When you see them in the store, they'll look like packages of very flat tortillas, thinner. Like cellophane, almost. They don't puff up until cooked."

So I have seen them, they just didn't look like what I expected because they weren't completely prepared. Interesting. There are two excellent Indian grocers less than a half mile from my home, and I was surprised they didn't have what I was looking for. Now that I know some more, I think they do have what I want.

Thanks for all the help! Particularly the chowhound link.

JK

rwexler
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 08:32 am:   

They look different in a package because they puff out when they're heated. I used to fry them in oil but now I hold them over the burner with tongs (but be careful not to burn them or you).

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   

I once ate them raw because I had nothing else to eat :-(

Liz
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 04:12 am:   

I put them under the grill and they're fine, although they don't puff up.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 07:26 am:   

It will be fun to try these out for real, but I really liked the ease of the Walker's version. Plus all the other Walker's crisps. Guess I'll have to load at in Glasgow this summer.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register