Issue #12 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Issue #12 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 09:09 pm:   

I can't believe this is the first time I'm talking about this issue. I'm getting ready to send it off to proofreaders. Meanwhile, here's the table of contents:

Fiction

Novelettes

Brendan Connell - Dr. Black and the Village of Stones
John Mantooth - Crater Beach

Short Stories

Jay Caselberg - The Garden of Earthly Delights
Bruce Holland Rogers - Look, There He Is
Bruce Holland Rogers - Omens
Luke Jackson - Reduction Descending
Michael Jasper - A Miracle in Shreveport
Paul M. Jessup - The Alchemy of Way
Lavie Tidhar - The Prisoner in the Forest

Poetry

Bruce Boston - Make Your Books Well
Bruce Boston - The Money Splicer's Tale
Aurelio Rico Lopez III - haiku
Megan Messinger - Houseguest
Megan Messinger - The Deal

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 09:24 pm:   

John: Hope you and the other Klimas are doing well out west. Issue #12 looks spectacular.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:47 am:   

I'm doing well because I'm keeping too busy. The other Klimas are driving each other nuts because they don't have anything to do.

We have a busy busy baby. :-)

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 09:03 pm:   

Just for fun:

#12 cover

Thought I'd tantalize a little bit. :-)

PM
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 09:14 pm:   

I am tantalized!

Richard Larson
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 09:49 pm:   

The cover looks great, John!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   

Sorry that this doesn't involve sexism (ok, maybe a little since there's only one woman writer in the issue) or racism (hmmm, not entirely sure about the ethnicity of the authors, but I know that many of them are white...) in science fiction...well maybe it's more relevant to the current discussion on these boards than I think! :-)

All kidding aside but here's a little information about this issue of Electric Velocipede:

Iíve updated the main Electric Velocipede website to mark issue #12 as the current issue. There are fiction excerpts and poetry from the issue online. Also, the issue is available for pre-order. You can see the whole table of contents here and here.

The main website: http://www.electricvelocipede.com

The shopping page: http://www.electricvelocipede.com/htm/shopping.htm

Go forth and buy!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 04:22 am:   

Here's a review of EV 12 in "The Fix".

EV12

Luke Jackson
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:20 am:   

Oh, ream me gently with a 2x4.

Paul Jessup
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

lol.

Well it could be worse. In another review, the only comment for my story was that "it was sad. Sad, sad, sad.". Which I don't see. I thought it was a hopeful one. At least this reviewer liked it :-)

John Kratman
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   

The money EV paid you is a much better review of your story, Luke.

Luke Jackson
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 05:34 pm:   

That's the writing life: scrabble up out of the rejections of the slush pile to the Holy Grail of publication.. then to get slammed by the critics. :-)

John Kratman
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 07:14 am:   

Screw the critics! (unless they have something nice to say!)

Luke Jackson
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 07:44 am:   

Thanks, John-- time to toughen up the old hide. There are some better reviews out there:

http://puttputtproductions.com/blogetary/2007/06/30/electric-velocipede-12-a-mag azine-review/

http://pnew8.livejournal.com/tag/electric+velocipede

http://www.asimovs.com/discus/messages/4/7562.html

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   

I wouldn't say screw the critics. But, at the same time, we have to realise that a review is the opinion of just one person. A lot of times something one person hates, another loves. In truth, most of the writing I really and truly admire, most people would think was terrible. If you are writing the kinds of things you yourself would like to read, then you are doing good work. Because let's face it, none of us are in it for the paycheck.

John Kratman
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 01:17 pm:   

Just sour grapes on my part, Brendan.

I tend to take reviews better when they are from a fellow writer. At least then I have a reasonable expectation that they know just how much work goes into a short story.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   

Yeah, I am familiar with sour grapes :-)

Yes, but fellow writer are also...writers. In an ideal world, all citizens will read your stuff.

Also, I think readers have a legitimate right to criticize fiction. After all, if a guy comes in to paint your house, you can criticize him even if you aren't a house painter. I mean, you can tell a good job from a bad one.

That is not to say that all things people say are "the truth," but still have some strange abstract value.

John Kratman
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 08:03 am:   

Yep, you're right.

I still hate them. :-)

Paul Jessup
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:41 am:   

->Because let's face it, none of us are in it for the ->paycheck

Speak for yourself, man. I'm definitely in it for the paycheck. If not, I wouldn't be SELLING my stories, I would be writing them and burying them, or tatooing them on meat and feed it to the homeless.

If it's because the money is slim- well, not all the time. I hate it when people say you can't make a living writing- you CAN. You just need to branch out. Of course you can't make a living writing short stories, any more than you can make a living writing book reviews.

But me- I'm in it all the way.

Luke Jackson
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   

I'm not in it so much for the money as to be read. Non-paying markets don't have the same number of readers.

Paul Jessup
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 05:51 am:   

If you have a blog, you can be read. I post on my blog all the time, and I get about 300,000 readers a month (about 120,000 unique visits). That is far more than any magazine circulation out there.

Luke Jackson
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 08:54 am:   

That's quite a blog. I don't think my little blog gets quite the same number of readers.

I should probably qualify my original post to say that it's not purely being read, period, since most blogs concern the everyday events and random pontifications of the blogger, not a structured story. If one did blog one's stories, it's an open question whether they would be read by the same number of attentive eyes as if it appeared in a professional market-- I somewhat doubt it.

For example, I just had a story in an issue of Adbusters, which has a circulation of around 100,000. I have to say that high circulation number is infinitely more thrilling to me than the payment received, reaching as it does a large number of new eyes out there, and I've already received several appreciative emails from readers who picked it up on the newsstand. Now hypothetically, the stories I have at webzines could have an infinite number of readers, but I have not received close to the same number of emails regarding those as my single Adbusters story.

Paul Jessup
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   

Meh, still. If I didn't get paid, I wouldn't do it. Period. There have been times I've gotten stuff put into non-paying venues, but those are magazines I like and respect, and consider it more like a dosh of charity and something to put on a resume/cover letter.

Maybe I'm just greedy- who knows? But if I didn't get paid, I wouldn't do it.

Damien G Walter
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 02:59 pm:   

I agree that markets should pay wherever possible, I wouldn't take it as far as saying I wouldn't do if it didn't pay though. When I write something good its because I have something to say. If somebody can offer me a platform to say it from, whether they pay me or not is a secondary issue, although still an important one.

Paul Jessup
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:45 am:   

Hmm, well, I'm not saying "markets should pay whenever possible". I'm just saying "I'm doing this because I want to make a living being a writer" which means I am in it to get paid.

I don't give a fuck if other people read my work. I would rather they didn't, actually. I definitely am not in it to be the cool kid on the block, or whatever.

I am in it for the dream- to make a living doing something you love. If writing stops paying (which right now I just got several steady non-fic gigs that pay well, so I don't think it will any time soon) then I'll go and program for a living again.

That's just how it goes. I don't buy the whole "I write because some inner me needs to speak" or I have something to say or something else like that. I write because I can, and I write because someone will pay me to.

Note that is not the same thing as writing to market- I write what I think is interesting, period. Esp when it comes to shortstories- I don't pander to what I think people will buy- that's a mugs game and I'm not playing that. I just assume (arrogantly, perhaps) that people will buy what I'm writing.

If they don't I toss it aside and work on the next thing. That's how it goes.

Luke Jackson
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 03:28 pm:   

What is more important to the aspiring writer, fortune or fame? I'll take both, if possible.

I would love to make a living as a writer, but am perhaps not as optimistic about that happening. First, you have to write books. Second, it seems your books have to sell quite well to make a living off of them.

But then again, I could move to a country where $60.00 could last me a month, maybe Thailand or India.. :-)

Paul Jessup
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 07:09 am:   

See? This is what I'm talking about by saying you need to branch out. Writing isn't just writing fiction. Let alone writing short fiction.

Writing non-fiction pays decently. Editing pays decently. If you push yourself and get enough work you can do it. But- you need to be a damn good writer, it's very competitive (the freelance writing market) and be pretty saavy as well (some places like to try and scam writers who don't know what they are doing by paying something crazy like $2 an article for 10 articles a month).

Luke Jackson
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   

Interesting. I probably should have disclosed that I work full-time as an attorney, which limits the amount of time and energy I can invest in such pursuits. (But which also opens up certain possibilities, such as writing for legal magazines.)

Paul Jessup
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 09:39 am:   

Well, no excuse. I work full time as a programmer for a college, and I also work part time as a freelance coder/website administrator.

Yet I still find time to write short stories, market them and write content for the places I do non-fic articles for.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   

I love that two of my contributors are politely arguing with each other.

JK

Paul Jessup
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 06:12 am:   

It's part of the fun! It gives an extra dynamic to the issue.

Luke Jackson
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:51 am:   

It's so different from the Asimov's Political/Religious section.. !

I should never underestimate my own penchant for rationalizing my inherent laziness.. but writing nonfiction sounds a lot like work. :-)

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   

excerpt from EV12 page 55 "Contributors":

"Paul M. Jessup does not exist."

Bewildering...

John Klima
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 09:37 am:   

Fabrice: you're right! So what does that mean? Who is this Jessup character?

JK

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   

Well,

1 - he's a writer
2 - he's a reviewer
3 - he seems to make a living as a writer
4 - his blog gets about 300,000 readers a month

So I suppose he's a well-known writer...

but who? will think about it...

Fabrice Doublet
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   

First guess: since he has a blog, Paul Jessup exists.

"blogo, ergo sum"

Damien G Walter
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   

What if none of the contributors to EV exist? What if John is a polymath genius, with the most diverse array of literary styles ever found in one man, conducting a conversation with himself on the Nightshade Books message board? What if Fabrice is just an aspect of John's imagination, dreaming its own independent existence? What if I am?

Man...there's a story in there somewhere...

Marguerite Reed
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 08:44 pm:   

Jesus. Someone needs a drink.

Luke Jackson
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 07:31 pm:   

What does it mean, "to exist"? The dictionary provides differing definitions, including either "to have actual being; be" or "to have life or animation; live." Ontologically speaking, it is an open question whether a rock "exists."

Or perhaps Mr. Jessup means "exist" in the more philosophical, Heideggerian sense of "Dasein" or "Being-there." Indeed, "[t]here is truth only in so far as Dasein is and so long as Dasein is. Entities are uncovered only when Dasein is; and only as long as Dasein is, are they disclosed." (BEING AND TIME, Heidegger, p.269)

Pass me a drink! *belch*

Paul Jessup
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 08:16 am:   

"Well,

1 - he's a writer
2 - he's a reviewer
3 - he seems to make a living as a writer
4 - his blog gets about 300,000 readers a month

So I suppose he's a well-known writer...

but who? will think about it..."

Well, 300,000 hits- about 120,000 are unique. So those can be assumed to be individual readers (but might not be).

Anyway- dunno if I'm well known, yet. You can make a living as a writer and be invisible.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register