Moving to Iowa Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Moving to Iowa « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   

Yes, I'm moving to Iowa. Here's the story in a nutshell:

At the end of this month, my family and I will be moving to Iowa. I'll be working at the Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport as their Access Services Librarian. I start on Feb 5. We'll be driving out on Jan 26.

I had interviewed with Palmer in February of last year, before I was full-time at Franklin Township. They picked a candidate who was more local to them. He lived in Iowa City, which is about an hour drive from Davenport. However, the University of Iowa restructured their libraries and he was able to get a job at the University in Iowa City so he no longer needed to commute.

Palmer re-contacted me to see if I was still interested in the job. I was. They flew me back out in December. I was the only candidate.

The money is about the same as I was making at Franklin. But, that money will go a lot further in Iowa than it does in NJ. Also, we'll be only a few hours drive from family.

I'll still be publishing Electric Velocipede. In fact, I hope to do more in the publishing field now that my living expenses will be less.

It's exciting and scary, but all good.

This means that there will be a few week period where I'll uncontactable. I'll post about that here right before that starts.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 07:54 pm:   

Pursuant to the move to Iowa, I won’t be able to continue my Verizon service there, so if you’ve been using the evzine [at] verizon [dot] net e-mail address, you’ll have to update it to evzine [at] aol [dot] com or editor [at] electricvelocipede [dot] com.

Thanks for your time and attention!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Jeffrey Ford
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 08:40 pm:   

What's with this Iowa business? What country is that in? Congrats on the new job!!!!!.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   

So are you going to order weird books for the Chiropractic students?

Iowa is supposed to be nice....

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 08:42 am:   

Aighhh. Good luck, and I hope you like it out there!

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:43 am:   

Hey, good luck with the move.

Charles Coleman Finlay
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:24 am:   

Welcome back to Big T(elev)en country, man!

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 08:06 pm:   

So I drove to WI on Thursday (930 miles in one day...I don't recommend it), went to IA and back on Friday, and flew back to NJ today. I figure I put in about 2500 miles in the past three days. That's almost Jay Caselberg travel numbers.

It's weird to be moving away. When we came here, we didn't know anything. Now we know so much more (like what's at stake for example) so it's almost more scary to move back than it was to come here.

Movers come on Thursday. The whole family will be traveling to WI to stay with family while our stuff is moved. My laptop is in WI, so I won't be able to respond to e-mail very well. I'll have a computer through Wednesday, and then nothing for a few days.

So, the long and short of it is don't feel bad if I don't get back to you right away.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register