Issue 5 (Hopefully in time for Worldc... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Issue 5 (Hopefully in time for Worldcon) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 09:22 am:   

Following is the listing of the Table of Contents for Issue #5. The exact order of the pieces will most likely change over the next few months, but this is what will appear in the 64-page Worldcon double issue!

FICTION:
J. R. Cain--The Chicken
Paul DiFilippo--The Curious Inventions of Mr. H
Rudi Dornemann--The Moonless, the Midnight Eye and the Season of the Last Gate
James A. Hartley--Nature's Way
Michael Kanaly--Whispers
Rick Klaw--John Calvin
Richard Larson--The God Behind the Glass
Gene Lass--Episode #2
Mike Lewis--Waiting for an Angel
Jason Erik Lundberg--Songstress
Christoph Meyer--Three Bean and Moon Salad
Jason J. Stevenson--Virgil 2.0
Trent Walters--The Unrelenting Machine of Asynchronous Time Verifies Its Very Obsolescence

POETRY:
Jonathan Brandt--The Longest Car Ride
Christopher Hivner--Einstein's Gift Shop
Marie Kazalia--I made love with a multiple personality
Aurelio Rico Lopez III--Pins
Christina Sng--The Haunting

This issue will not see a Nitwit column from me. I am focusing on the editing of these materials and getting the issue finalized. There should be an Attic Space column, but I need to discuss a topic with Mr. Braun.

I have a little space available--even with setting aside five or six pages for advertising--for a couple thousand words (2K to 3K) of text. I have a number of submissions that I have not read yet, and there very well could be what I need in those. But anyone who gets a sub to me before the end of June will be considered for this issue.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 05:06 am:   

I'm very excited by this lineup, John. Not only will I be sharing it with three of my Clarion classmates, but also James Hartley and Paul di Filippo. Very cool. Can't wait to see it!

Christina Sng
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:05 am:   

Thanks so much for my contributor copies, John! :D #4 looks fantastic. I can't wait to read it.

I'm delighted to see #5 is underway already.

Thanks again,
Christina

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:15 am:   

Hey John, do you know if the price for issue #5 will be any different than in the previous issues? I ask since I know it'll be a special double issue, and I'm putting a PayPal link to my journal and want to get the price right. Thanks.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:29 am:   

The individual price for issue #5, when it is available, will be $5. However, it is included in the cost of your subscription. I will be adding a new PayPal button to my Shopping page when it's available. So, not for another month at least.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:12 pm:   

Well, this would be for those folks who don't have a subscription yet, or just want to buy the issue with my story in it. I know I'm already getting it.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:29 am:   

Well folks, the time for the next issue is drawing quicker than I thought. All of sudden I was half through August and the next issue was a shambles of assembly. Oh the fiction was there. It was in the order I wanted it. I actually was able to send page proofs to the authors through a nifty little utility called PDF995 that works as a printer on your system, but creates PDFs instead of printed output. I had all my ad space reserved and ads were coming in.

But there was no cover. There was no internal art. The bios were blank. I looked at the calendar: 'leave for Canada' scrawled on August 23. That meant the zine would be put together the weekend before, the 16th and 17th.

Gulp. That's in a few days!

Like I said, the majority of the work was done. Unfortunately, the nitpicky stuff is to come. And I doubt I'll get any work done on the website before Worldcon, but I really should so that anyone who sees me in Toronto has a fresh, newly minted place to go to for the most up-to-date information on Electric Velocipede.

Did I mention that my parents 40th wedding anniversary is the same weekend I leave for Canada? Well, I have to organize what I'm doing for that, too (and my Dad's birthday...he got married two days after his birthday, a sneaky trick I think to help remember the date...and my brother-in-law's birthday at the end of the month). And school starts again right after we return from Canada, so my wife has to organize how she's going to do that.

Did I mention than when the zine is being assembled is this upcoming weekend?

Just so you know, I will not get a chance to mail out subscription copies and contributor copies before Worldcon. It just won't happen. But, after I get back, they will go out post-haste.

By the way, did you know that issue #5 is a double issue, with twice as much SF? As I've said before, there is no Nitwit's Nitpicks in this issue, I just didn't have the time. (next issue I can speak to Robert Freeman Wexler and Jeffrey Thomas' writing) Here's the line-up:

FICTION
Nature's Way by James A. Hartley
Waiting for an Angel by Mike Lewis
Songstress by Jason Erik Lundberg
The Chicken by James R. Cain
The Curious Inventions of Mr. H by Paul DiFilippo
Three Bean and Moon Salad by Christoph Meyer
The Moonless, the Midnight Eye, and the Season of the Last Gate by Rudi Dornemann
Formidolosus: Part Two by Gene Lass
The God Behind the Glass by Richard Larson
Virgil 2.0 by Jason J. Stevenson
Whispers by Michael Kanaly
JohnCalvin by Rick Klaw
The Unrelenting Machine of Asynchronous Time Verifies Its Very Obsolescence by Trent Walters

POETRY
I made love with a multiple personality by Marie Kazalia
Einstein's Gift Shop by Christopher Hivner
Pins by Aurelio Rico Lopez III
The Haunting by Christina Sng
Mad Scientist's Lament by Jon Hodges
The Longest Car Ride by Jonathan Brandt

NON-FICTION
Attic Space: 28 Days Later...
Contributors

Sounds good, right?

I'm currently reading for issue #6. I've accepted a handful of things so far, and I have a TON of submission to work through. If you've submitted something, be patient, I will be responding to everyone by the end of September. I also expect issue #6 to be full by that time. If you want to be considered for issue #6, please send something soon and write this intention in your cover letter.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

I should add that Jonathan William Hodges' (the man behind Project Pulp) poem, "Mad Scientist's Lament" will also appear in issue #5. Just when you think everything is all done and sorted you find you had a little extra room.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:20 am:   

And just in case people forgot, issue #5, having 13 stories, with 20 total contributors in all, will be $5 instead of $3.

JK

The Crawling Shadow
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   

Outrageous!!!!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:00 am:   

Copies made, issues assembled. It's 56 pages long, so that's nearly twice as long as previous issues. If you're going to be at Worldcon, stop by the F&SF table and say howdy. I'll be working with Gordon.

JK

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   

And having read a decent chunk of EV#6 last night (the advantage of picking up your subscription copy in person), this is shaping up to be my favorite issue . . . chock full of sciffy goodness.

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:11 pm:   

--I mean EV#5. Honest. No time-traveling for this gent (not after that unfortunate incident with the bean burrito and half-a-pitcher of sangria).

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   

Although I do have a majority of #6 picked...and a half picther of mojitos...

Hmmmm...might explain some of the weird goings-on around the homestead.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:42 am:   

Apparently, though, I might need someone to explain to me what a 'picther' is and how mojitos fit in it.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:23 am:   

The website has been updated. Yes, it's early, but it was ready so I put it up there. I'll be tweaking it slightly tonight and tomorrow, but then that's it until September. I won't have access to a computer. I'm leaving Friday night for several days in Montreal and then across country to Toronto and TorCon. If you're going to be there, check out the dealer's room, you just might see lurking beind the F&SF table.

Let me know if you find any mistakes!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 11:55 am:   

Hey, John. Now that you're back from WorldCon and everything, can I expect to see my contributor copies in the mail soon?

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:28 pm:   

Yes. We hit the unfortunate snag of me not getting paid until yesterday and my wife just started the school year again, and had not gotten her first pay check yet. (the monies I made at Worldcon being absorbed into the cost of the creation of the issue) Copies will be put in the mail on Saturday. I would get them out sooner, but my day goes from 6:30AM to 7PM every day and I don't have time to do mail at home, nor do I have the inclination to schlep stuff into Manhattan to mail out from work.

So, was that more than you needed?

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:55 pm:   

Yup, thanks. I look forward to seeing the issue.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:15 am:   

!!!Attention all contributors and subscribers (who didn't see me at Worldcon)!!!

Copies of Electric Velocipede #5 will be in the mail this next weekend. If history serves me well, that means middle of next week, most of you will get your issues. For those of you who haven't found this bandwagon yet, subscriptions are still $10 in the US ($15 Can, $20 ROW) despite this issue having a $5 cover price. This gets you four issues. You can pay over the web at my website or at www.projectpulp.com, or you can send a check, payable to John Klima to:

Electric Velocipede
PO Box 663
Franklin Park, NJ 08823

Subscribe/renew now, these rates are only good through the end of 2003! If you're not sure when your subscription ends, just contact me and I'll let you know.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:36 pm:   

Attention folks, I am taking the zine to the Post Office tomorrow with the aid of my art director (my loving wife) and getting everything in the mail. I'm hoping this 56-page monstrocity doesn't bankrupt me.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:54 am:   

Well, thankfully I made some money at Worldcon (he says after making the line at the post office stretch outside into the rain)! Please let me know when copies arrive. I've had trouble with mail to my home lately, and I'm hoping it doesn't affect contrib/subscriber copies.

JK

Jetse
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:15 am:   

John, I received my sub copy today, in The Netherlands. For an international subscription, I'd call it lightning fast.

Jetse

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 07:09 am:   

Cool! Yeah, my post office says that the only way I can send itnernational is air mail, and that seems to work quickly. Glad you got it, and thanks for the update on your subscription!

Anyone else get theirs?

JK

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:11 am:   

Yup. It am here.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:18 am:   

Hey John -- got mine. Looking forward to all the stories.

And nice Intracities ad! Thanks!

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   

Sheesh! I'm amazed at the number of people who have gotten their issues already. I guess all that time & money at the post office was worth it! Hope reading the issue is as enjoyable as getting it quickly!

JK

RFW
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:33 pm:   

Where's mine then? Huh?

Robert

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:38 pm:   

Ummmm....

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:51 pm:   

Mine didn't come today. WAAUUGGHH! :-(

Rick Klaw
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:26 pm:   

Well now I feel left out...

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:06 am:   

OK, I jumped the gun. I've heard from a handful of people, mostly East Coast and Europe, that have gotten issue #5. If you haven't gotten your issue yet, don't worry, it's more than likely due to Ben & Jen breaking up and the flood of apology notes they are sending out to wedding guests. If you haven't gotten it by next week (and contrib copies go out media mail, so they are a little slower anyway!), let me know and we'll work on getting more copies sent to you.

JK

Jonathan Brandt
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:41 am:   

Mine came yesterday, too.

Hmmm, I wonder what a complete set of EV would fetch on ebay...

- JB

Rick Klaw
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:56 am:   

So, John, I'm to be punished because I live in Texas?!?!?!

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:53 am:   

Yeah, John. Isn't living in Texas punishment enough for the poor man? :P

JV
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:58 am:   

John--just got my copy of #5--looks good!

Jeff

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:04 am:   

You're not being punished by me, you're being punished by Ben & Jen. Sheesh, don't you even read my posts?!? At this point, it is up to your mail service providers to bring the issue to you. I have limited control over such people, in fact, they are less than impressed when I bring in a box of envelopes addressed all over the world and proceed to tie up a counter person for nearly an hour.

Oh wait. Yes Rick, you are being punished for living in Texas. I told them to hold those for an extra two days.

JK

Tim Akers
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:20 pm:   

John...um, I work for a direct mail house. Trust me when I say there are better and possibly cheaper ways to do this. Of course it depends on quantity and rate. If you're going first class your minimum is 500 to qualify for presort rates. Again, I don't know your distribution, so this may be pointless. It just pains me to think of anyone needlessly dealing with the folks at the front desk of any post office.

Rick Klaw
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:43 pm:   

Great... first punished for being in Texas (Hey.. I never voted Bush) and now I learn that VanderMeer got his copies before me? Oh the indignity!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 08:42 am:   

YAAY! I got my copies yesterday! Woo hoo! Man oh man, I just keep looking at it, in shock that I'm in there with such cool writers. And if Isabel knocks out my power, I have a ton of reading material. YAAY!

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:27 am:   

It's interesting to see people in the same state get issues at different times, and later than people who live further away from me...

Tim, that's an interesting offer. Hopefully some day I'll be able to take you up on it. So far this has been a successful labor of love.

Now if everyone on this board would only subscribe, then I'd have something...

Stay dry!

JK

Rick Klaw
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   

Klima you can live.

My copies arrived today. They look good. Thanks!

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:04 am:   

Whew! Now I can stop wearing that stupid fake mustache!

JK

inquiring mind who wants to know
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:16 am:   

Then how are people going to be able to find you to buy copies at World Fantasy in DC???

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:45 am:   

I'll be wearing a red rose.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:20 pm:   

For those of you who are confused about Gene Lass' story, "Formidolosus: Episode Two," episode one appeared in issue #1 of Electric Velocipede. You can read it here. Episode #3 will appear in issue #6 (ToC to appear in another thread soon), thereby giving the story better continuity.

Enjoy!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 06:30 am:   

Also, SF Revu has a brief review of issue #5. It seems that all my reviewers want to heap praise and accolades on this Hartley/Caselberg guy, and that's fine with me. Go directly to the review here:

http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2003/0309/Col%20-%20SF%20Mags/Review.htm

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:50 am:   

Hey, it's fine with me too...<g>

Trent
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:58 pm:   

Hey, John,

I got my issues. I tried to email you to say this. But your server bounced me out.

Good looking zine. Shipped in an Omaha Steaks box no less. Thanks again!

Take care.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   

I thought you might appreciate the shipping method. Sorry about the bounce. Don't know why, but sometimes AOL is freaky about what gets sent to me. Oh well. Glad to hear that everything got to you. Proud to have you involved.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

From the review on Tangentonline:

"There's a lot of stories in these 60 pages, all for the price of a double latte. You gotta get it. I don't think I've ever recommended back issues before, but the DiFilippo alone is worth the price of admission. If John still has back issues, I'd grab one. You can't go wrong."

The full review:
http://www.tangentonline.com/reviews/magazine.php3?review=956

Yee-ha!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 10:34 pm:   

It's nice to see Tangent getting with the times (I will point out that while my rave review of EV#5 wasn't quite as verbose, it did come out last August!)

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 08:30 am:   

You are, as always, ahead of the curve sir.

JK

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 05:19 am:   

Minz, ahead of the curve? What's this? Whose curve?

John Klima
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 05:42 am:   

Well, not your curve Jay. And not your list, either.

JK

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 06:20 am:   

Heh.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register