Civil Liberties Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Civil Liberties « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:07 am:   

Please take the time to go to this site and support the "Freedom to Read Protection Act"

http://www.aclu.org/NationalSecurity/NationalSecurity.cfm?ID=12607&c=110

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:41 am:   

Thanks for the link, John. I just sent a free fax to my representative.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:19 pm:   

I have to thank Cory Doctorow and BoingBoing.Net for sending me to the link. I hope more people on this board see this, or have seen this elsewhere, and contact their representative.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:01 am:   

Sara Paretsky speaks intelligently about the Patriot Act:

"It is my only hope, that against those forces which seek to silence us, to rob us of our voices and our precious freedoms, that my words, Sappho’s words, indeed, our Constitution’s words, all these words which are only breath, will not only endure, but triumph."

Here is the link to the rest of the article:

http://tinyurl.com/dydh

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 06:23 am:   

I just got a letter the other day from my representative saying that he appreciated my bringing this act to his attention, and that he is going to be a major advocate for it. Which made me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:40 am:   

While you are thinking warm, pro-USA thoughts after a nice Fourth of July weekend, perhaps you can head over to the ACLU website and help confine the extensive liberties the government has taken with our personal freedom with the PATRIOT act.

John Klima
American

Chuck Hogle, American Citizen
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:18 pm:   

It's a little late, but Big Brother is beginning to struggle out of the womb of the U.S. government. Of course, in the obviously capable and wise hands of George Bush, the hideously intrusive new powers of our government could never be misused. The actions Bush has taken over the past several years bespeak both an unwavering devotion to the rights of the individual and a deep respect for the sancity of human life. I am certain that we as Americans have nothing to fear from the current President. To raise a voice of protest at this sensitive juncture would be inappropriate. Best to sit back and let the tide of massive injustices wash over us without complaint.

chuck hogle
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:08 am:   

I've tried to read the Patriot Act, and I'm interested in its offspring, the Patriot Act II, but I can't really decipher 250 pages of legalese. Does anyone know of a resource that lays out the main aspects of the Act in such a way that a layman like me could understand them?

barth
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   

this was the most complete analysis i could find:

http://www.cdt.org/security/usapatriot/analysis.shtml

but do check out this from the american library association (that seething hotbed of radicalism):

http://www.ala.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Our_Association/Offices/Intellectual_F reedom3/Intellectual_Freedom_Issues/USA_Patriot_Act.htm

chuck hogle
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 02:13 pm:   

Thanks for the reference, barth...those sites were helpful. And unsettling, at parts.

barth
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:34 am:   

indeed, chuck. my wife's a librarian so i get to hear the spooky stuff first hand...

chuck
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:20 pm:   

Yeah...I know of certain politicians who are saying--off the record--that the American people should be deathly afraid of what the Patriot Act and progeny entail...

So do you know much about the retired general whom Michael Moore has been touting as a great presidential candidate? Frankly, after seeing Bowling for Columbine, I'm inclined to put more trust in Moore (no pun intended) than in the federal government. After all, pretty much anyone looks good next to Bush nowadays.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 10:05 am:   

In my e-mail today:

To: ACLU Action Network Members
Date: December 12, 2003

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for helping the ACLU make a real difference in defending civil liberties over the last year, and also to look ahead to some of the future challenges we'll face.

In the last session of Congress we've seen the introduction of some very dangerous and invasive pieces of legislation. Fortunately, in several cases, many of the worst provisions have been removed or the entire bill has been stopped thanks to the actions of concerned individuals like you. Although it may seem like a small step to send a fax or an email to your Members of Congress, your actions contribute to the overwhelming flood of concern that has made many Senators and Representatives re-examine their position on several key pieces of legislation.

Some of your successes include:

* Congress' decision to block the creation of a giant government computer system designed to compile and analyze personal information -- such as financial records, personal relationships and travel histories -- on every person in the United States.

* The abandoning of provisions in the CARE Act that would have allowed for government-funded religious discrimination. Activists sent over 40,000 messages to Congress opposing this "faith-based" discrimination.

* The decision not to introduce the proposed "PATRIOT Act II," which was due in part to the concern expressed in the more than 130,000 messages your Members of Congress received.

We've also been happy to see the introduction of positive and forward-thinking legislation that would protect many key rights and liberties. These measures have included:

* The "Freedom to Read Protection Act," which would prevent government agents from accessing your library and bookstore records without proper and reasonable court approval.

* The SAFE Act, which would roll back some of the PATRIOT Act's worst excesses.

The fight against the PATRIOT Act has grown into a substantial, nation-wide movement. Conservative organizations including the Eagle Forum, Gun Owners of America and the American Conservative Union have joined the ACLU and other organizations in the fight against several of its provisions. In addition, more than 220 communities across the country have enacted local resolutions calling for the protection of civil liberties. http://www.aclu.org/resolutions

In the coming weeks and months we will undoubtedly need to respond to several anti-civil liberty initiatives from Members of Congress. These might include the Victory Act -- a piece of legislation promoted by Attorney General Ashcroft that would further expand the Patriot Act's records-snooping authority, broaden immunity for federal agents engaged in illegal spying activities and resurrect dangerous asset forfeiture powers previously rejected by Congress

We can also expect to see the Bush administration and its allies in Congress continue to push legislation such as the CLEAR Act and the so-called Federal Marriage Amendment. A vote on another constitutional amendment to bar "desecration" of the flag is also expected.

With your help, we've made great progress in our defense of civil liberties and we look forward to your continued support in making the voice for liberty heard in Congress. Please continue to take action on our weekly action alerts, and also visit our Action Center (http://www.aclu.org/action) to find out more about what you can do.

Thanks again for your commitment to your rights and civil liberties.

2) Mark your Calendar: Join Louise Melling for a live online audio chat on reproductive rights

Louise Melling, director of the ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project, will conduct a live online audio chat Wed., Dec. 17, from 7 - 8 p.m. ET. Featured topics will include the ACLU's challenge to the first-ever federal ban on abortion practice, April's March for Women's Lives in Washington, D.C, and the steady erosion of reproductive rights. http://www.aclu.org

For more information on other issues and the latest news, please visit our website at http://www.aclu.org

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:16 pm:   

Not 'exactly' civil liberties, but something important nonetheless.

http://ww11.e-tractions.com/truemajority/oreo/landing/index.htm

Brought to my attention by Cory Doctorow at BoingBoing

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   

As we head into 4th of July weekend, ponder this:

http://www.ombwatch.org/article/articleview/2238/1/218/

Just when Ashcroft kept telling us that this provision was never used...well....

JK

(thanks Librarian.net)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register