HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Anthology Announcement

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Anthology Announcement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:04 pm:   

Well, I guess it's about time for me to make mention of this here. At the end of last year, I started making inquiries to authors about a concept I had for an anthology. There was a lot of interest.

The concept was to write stories based on words that have won spelling bees. Issue #9 of Electric Velocipede has two stories in it, Hal Duncan's "The Chiaroscurist" and Neil Williamson's "The Euonymist," were written from this concept.

After gathering an interesting and exciting list of authors who wanted to write for this project, I began to put together materials to send to editors. As fate would have it, I sat next to Juliet Ulman (Bantam editor of people like Jeff VanderMeer, Tim Pratt, Tim Lebbon, etc.) at dinner after a KGB reading in January. Juliet liked the concept and asked me to send her materials.

Not long after, Juliet made me an offer on the anthology. I'm very excited to be able to talk about someone else as 'my editor' and also excited that it's someone as cool as Juliet. We've been working together on adding authors to the list, but this is the list of authors who are working on pieces right now:

Daniel Abraham
Paolo Bacigalupi
Jay Caselberg
Clare Dudman
Hal Duncan
Theodora Goss
Liz Hand
Alex Irvine
Jay Lake
Kelly Link
Michael Moorcock
Tim Pratt
David Prill
Michelle Richmond
Lucius Shepard
Anna Tambour
Jeff VanderMeer
Leslie What
Liz Williams
Neil Williamson
Marly Youmans

We are working to have the book come out in late May/early June of 2007 to coincide with the National Spelling Bee.

Watch here (and on my website) for more information!

John Klima

Sean Wright
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 11:57 am:   

That's great line up, John, and neat idea. Good luck with that one!

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   

So I was ordering books for the library when I decided to see if Logorrhea was listed in Baker & Taylor. You can tell I'm not really an author since it hadn't occured to me before to look. Well, lo and behold, there is was. With an ISBN and everything. (it's 978-0-553-38433-8 [or 0-553-38433-3 for you pre-ISBN-13 phillistines]) And, it's obviously available at Amazon so that's cool.

I've been on the other side of things hundreds of times. But this is the first time that I've been responsible for the content of a book that's being published. I'm somewhere between excited and a nervous wreck.

I'm honestly overwhelmed. I cannot thank my editor, Juliet Ulman, enough for making this all possible. And of course, you should all go out and pre-order your copies today. :-)

Here is the final line-up, in order:

Hal Duncan - “The Chiaroscurist”
Liz Williams - “Lyceum”
David Prill - “Vivisepulture”
Clare Dudman - “Eczema”
Alex Irvine - “Semaphore”
Marly Youmans - “The Smaragdine Knot”
Michael Moorcock - “A Portrait in Ivory”
Daniel Abraham - “The Cambist and Lord Iron: A Fairy Tale of Economics”
Michelle Richmond - “Logorrhea”
Anna Tambour - “Pococurante”
Tim Pratt - “From Around Here”
Elizabeth Hand - “Vignette”
Alan DeNiro - “Plight of the Sycophant”
Matthew Cheney - “The Last Elegy”
Jay Caselberg - “Eudaemonic”
Paolo Bacigalupi - “Softer”
Jay Lake - “Crossing the Seven”
Leslie What - “Tsuris”
Neil Williamson - “The Euonymist”
Theodora Goss - “Singing of Mount Abora”
Jeff VanderMeer - “Appoggiatura”

Of course I can't speak objectively about this anthology, but these stories are fantastic. You will not be disappointed.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 09:22 am:   

Hi John,
I've never checked Baker & Taylor for my forthcoming books. In fact, I don't know how to :-)
Good luck with the book.

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 11:17 am:   

Not sure if you'd have access, Ellen. I have an account with them through my library for ordering books.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but this is something new. I've set up a temporary website for the Logorrhea anthology. I have a real website being designed right now, but I wanted to get the URL out there for people to link to:

http://www.logorrheabook.com/

Right now it's a very vanilla site. Hopefully we'll have the finished, designed site up soon.

John Klima

PM
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 05:43 am:   

Vanilla now, chocolate later :-)

Looking forward to the release.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |