Issue #10 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Issue #10 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 05:25 pm:   

Here are the contents of issue #10 which will come out most likely in May of this year:

Novelettes:
Tim Akers - Jeremy Crow
Rick Bowes & Mark Rich - Jacket Jackson

Short Stories:
Jeffrey Ford - The Way He Does It
Andre Oosterman - The Navel of the Universe
Alistair Rennie - Il Duca di Cesena
Robert Freeman Wexler - Travels Along an Unfurling Circular Path

The Wexler piece is almost a novelette as well, and it might even get there with edits ('say what?' says Mr. Wexler).

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com
http://evzine.blogspot.com

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 05:25 am:   

I'm happy to announce that issue #10 is available for preordering at:

http://members.aol.com/evzine/shopping.html

The issue will be published in May, but reserve one today so you don't miss it!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 05:26 am:   

Oh, and here's a sneak peak at the Thom Davidsohn designed cover:

issue #10 Thom Davidsohn

Cool, eh?

JK

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

Yup.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   

Nicely done, Mr. Klima.

Jetse
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:53 am:   

The cover looks great!

And the line-up seems particularly strong, so I'm waiting with bated breath for the magazine to fall on my doormat.

Apart from people like Jeffrey Ford, Rick Bowes, Mark Rich, Alastair Rennie and Robert Freeman Wexler -- who hardly need any introduction on these boards -- I am particularly looking forward to what my compatriot André Oosterman has penned.

And I especially recommend "Jeremy Crow": it came very close when we considered it for Interzone. Since then we have bought three stories from Tim, two of which are also set in the city of Veridon: "The Song" (upcoming in Interzone 204), and "Toke".

Keep up the good work, John: you're rocking.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:47 am:   

Thanks much everyone! I'm excited for it. And issue #11 (available in time for World Fantasy this Fall) has some great stuff in it, too.

BTW, I've inadvertantly deleted the index page on my website so when you go to http://www.electricvelocipede.com you get a directory listing instead of the website.

The link above [http://members.aol.com/evzine/shopping.html] still works, however. There just is no HOME button for now. I'll get this fixed tonight.

JK

Mark Rich
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:35 pm:   

Number one: Is there a T-shirt?

If not, why not?

No. 2, there's a rumor going around ... what's this about this edited-out chapter of roller-skate sex in the Jacket Jackson novelette? I didn't even know it was there and I'm astonished an editor would remove it from the print version. For shame, John. It's all because of that new kid.

Cheers ...

John Klima
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 06:54 pm:   

T-shirt? Possibly. There are discussions going on.

As for the missing chapter, it was longer than the rest of the novelette. I told Rick it should be re-worked into its own story.

At least I assumed it was Rick who wrote it...you seem so nice and unassuming Mark. :-)

JK

rick1844
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   

It was all done on Mark's insistance. "More sex!" he'd scream. "Look, those two characters haven't had sex with each other yet!" Also he wanted lots of gunfire. And the high speed roller-skate chase sequences. It was very trying for one of my modest and retiring nature.

Rick

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 05:45 pm:   

I'm looking for a couple unpaid proofreaders for this issue. Anyone interested? You'll need to be able to receive a couple MB pdf file.

Let me know.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 07:29 am:   

Not that anyone responded to this post, but having posted this other places as well, I have plenty of offers for help.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 08:23 pm:   

Hey, you can now buy t-shirts and such for issue #10. Buy early and buy often. All proceeds from these sales is going to the inimitable Thom Davidsohn.

http://www.cafepress.com/evzine10

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 07:35 pm:   

Off to the PRINTERS!!

(with a free discussion on the logistics of spreads, signatures, and booklets)

I've sent the CD with booklet PDFs to the printer. What does that mean?

Well, I lay out the zine in InDesign (which I like more and more each time I use it), formatting the text, getting the images right, fixing errors, etc. In InDesign, the zine starts with the cover and works its way through the issue to the back cover. This is much like how you make a document in Word or some other word processor.

When I'm ready to send it to the printer, I have the program create a booklet. What this does is to take the existing pages and create spreads (imagine holding the magazine flat, those two pages make a spread) of them.

Now these spreads look a little funny. Often the facing pages on a spread are not consecutive pages. In fact, there is only one instance where the spreads are consecutive pages and that's the center of the magazine. Every other spread has some weird number on its facing pages.

OK, let's give an example of what spreads are for those of you who don't know. Let's say you have a 16 page zine. You want to use a number divisible by four. Why, you ask? Let's make a imaginary magazine that's four page. All you need is one sheet of paper. Look at the sheet of paper, any size. Fold it in half. Using the crease as the spine of your imaginary magazine, you now have four pages on which to put content. If you use a lay-out program like InDesign or Quark (or even Word) you'll lay out four separate pages. You'll create two spreads that are printed back-to-back. This is called a signature.

Every time you need to add another sheet of paper (i.e. your story that you thought was four pages is actually six) you add another four pages to the magazine. So, if your four-page story (the entire contents of our imaginary magazine) actually needs six pages, you now have two blank pages to fill. I'll make another post to explain how you avoid this problem in the first place.

OK, let's get back to our sixteen-page magazine. When you lay it out, the pages are in this order:

But, when you make a booklet out of it, you have the following eight spreads:

16-1, 2-15, 14-3, 4-13, 12-5, 6-11, 10-7, 8-9

This way we you copy the spreads back-to-back, and then fold them, someone can read the magazine from page 1 to page 16 by flipping from one page to the next. Which is usually the easiest way for people to read. Making them decipher your page order is a good way to get people to set your magazine down and grab a different one.

Now, when you create books, you do not make a booklet. Books are not printed on 4-page signatures. Imagine a 400 page book on 4-page signatures; you'd need 100 signatures to make that book. In addition to being expensive from a printing standpoint, the book would be very thick from all the folded signatures being put together. Books like to be made on 32-page signatures (16 pages to a side), which are folded, sewn or glued, and then trimmed to look nice. (when you fold that much paper together, the center pages stick out further than the outer pages, making something that look's like a knife edge; this gets trimmed flat so the edge of your book is nice and smooth...unless the publisher leaves it untrimmed, which gives it a kind of cool hand-made look...sort of)

You'll find that there are a lot of books that are right around 320 pages, or ten signatures. I would bet that the total page count of nearly all of the books on your bookshelf (all pages, not just the numbered ones that tell the story, but the introduction, the copyright pages, the blank ones in the back, etc.) can be divded by 32. Go ahead, try it!

In my case, my magazine is saddle-stitched. In today's terms that usually means stapled, but it could mean that the issue is actually industrially stitched along one center seam. Books typically have sewn signatures that are then glued into the spine, although sometimes the signatures are glued from the get go, especially when it comes to paperback books (both mass-market and trade). Perfect-bound magazines (like Asimov's or Fantasy & Science Fiction) are always glued. It makes no sense from a cost perspective to have sewn magazines.

Back again to my magazine. I usually send two files to my printer: one of the cover spread, and one of the interior pages spread. Since the cover and interior pages are done on different quality paper, this lets the printer make all the covers at once, and then all the interiors. The covers and interiors are collated together, folded, stapled, and then trimmed by hand. Well, trimmed with a big machine, but it's not automated like the collating, folding, and stapling.

I should have copies by the end of the month. Yay! But, don't get all excited. I'm moving in early June, and may have a difficult time getting all the issues out right away. They will all be mailed by the end of June, but don't start writing angry letters until June is done. There's also an anthology that I'll start editing in June, so that will add to my schedule of things to get done.

There's also the baby and the full-time job, so don't expect miracles. But, I don't like things hanging over my head, so stuff might get mailed out right away, too. Then I'll have less to move, and it's something my wife and I can work on together (printing labels, stickering issues, addressing envelopes, etc.).

But for now I can say: IT'S DONE!!!!!

Special thanks to Neil Clarke (of Clarkesworld Books) for working overtime with me to get some final stuff in the issue. Thanks Neil!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   

Rock on, John! I remember those saddle-stapling days for TALEBONES, and 4 page signatures and messing with creep on the gutters, etc. :-)

Yay for glue! (But of course, I'm talking a completely different skill set, and unique problems and issues.)

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 04:26 pm:   

Yeah, that's a skill set I look forward to learning some day!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 04:50 am:   

Rumor has it that I have copies of #10 in my possession. If that's true, they'll be making their way into the wild over the coming weeks.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:26 am:   

Issue 10 has come back from the printer and will be shipping out shortly. It looks phenomenal. It will be debuting at Wiscon this upcoming weekend, for those of you who will be there. Copies will be available at the Small Beer Press table and at the Wheatland Press table.

Of course, in an ironic turn of events, issue #10 features no female authors. What a perfect issue to debut at Wiscon, eh?

Help me celebrate reaching ten issues by buying a copy of #10 or getting a subscription for yourself and ten friends! :-)

John Klima

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 09:34 pm:   

The new website design has gone live. Hope it works out for everyone. I decided to 'jazz' things up a little with some color and an attempt at design.

http://www.electricvelocipede.com

There is some content that I have not replicated into this design (back issues, the full stories from issue #9, some other things) but these will be coming back online soon.

Let me know what you think!

JK

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 04:06 am:   

Sleek!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 07:46 am:   

Here's a review of issue #10:

http://www.sfrevu.com/php/Column.php?ColumnType=ZINE&Search=200609

It's a good one!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   

Another review:

http://ozhorrorscope.blogspot.com/2006/09/review-electric-velocipede-10.html

Very cool!

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register