New Web Site Design Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » New Web Site Design « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   

So, this is what I've done for one of my classes. I don't have everything converted, but this will be the new design of the Electric Velocipede website.

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~jklima/mp/final/index.htm

So, what do ya think?

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 05:33 am:   

Just so people understand, this design was done for a class, and some of the links don't work. Before this design goes up at www.electricvelocipede.com all the stories and back issues, etc. will be set into the new design. There are links that don't work right now.

JK

al duncan
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 06:06 am:   

I'm a wee bit unsure about the title running down the way (like, a one-word title is comfortable to read downways, but it's less natural to jump back up to read the second word).

But that's maybe just me. Otherwise I think it looks swell. I love the lettering.

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Yeah, you're not the first person to point that out to me. I like the idea of some sort of design running down along the side of the page, but the name might not be the best choice.

Oh well, for the class it will be fine, and then I can fiddle with it afterwards before I get it put up on the real site.

JK

AliceB
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 04:26 pm:   

My trouble with the up-down title is that I kept reading "EV", "LE", etc. first, even though I knew it was supposed to be two vertical words. Could they be in seperate columns, or one be vertical and the other horizontal (both of which may end up using up too much space)? Pretty nice design though, otherwise.

Best,
Alice

Mark Rich
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 09:24 am:   

How cool. (Sorry to take four or five years or whatever to drop in here.)

Maybe on the vertical title: slightly more space between the two descending rows of letters ... and slightly larger case for the initival consonants at top.

Love that quotation on the what-they're-saying page ...

Cheers

John Klima
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 04:25 am:   

Thanks man. I have some re-design I'm doing on this, adding some color and whatnot, clearing up the logo so it's readable. I hope to have something more definite in the next month or so.

JK

Rob Moore
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   

John:

The Javascript for e-mail submissions on your Guidelines page doesn't work with Firefox. Looking at your coding, I tried to submit a story to you using evzine@evizine.aol.com and evizine@evizine.com, but neither works. Is there an e-mail address for submitting stories? Thanks for your time (The website looks great otherwise).

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 06:34 pm:   

The Javascript is missing from the page link above. That was something I made for a class. You can go to http://www.electricvelocipede.com and go to the guidelines page (as well as see the current, boring design) and the links work from there. I just tried them in FireFox.

Alternately, you can click on my name and send something from here.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 06:38 pm:   

Actually, while there is no Javascript on the Rutgers site, the e-mail links on the Guidelines page work. I'm not sure which page you were looking at since I was able to get the e-mail links to work on both.

JK

Rob Moore
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 03:49 pm:   

John:

Thanks! After your second post I went back to the Guidelines page and saw that the e-mail link does in fact work. I don't know what went wrong the first time. Thanks for your help!

Rob

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register