Conventions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Conventions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:07 am:   

When I first moved out East and got into the SF field, I was going to conventions like mad. I regularly went to: Boskone, Lunacon, Readercon, Worldcon, Albacon, and Philcon. Even when I lived in WI (my home planet) I went to Wiscon and a few larger conventions (World Fantasy in New Orleans and Chicago) that were close. These days, it's much tougher to get to conventions, and I pretty much only make Lunacon, which has nearly dried up in the way of fun. I wasn't able to go to Readercon last year because it fell on the weekend in between me taking a 12-day road trip to WI and the weekend I moved. I've been to Albacon fairly regularly as well, but it's small and more hard-SF oriented (which makes it hard to promote Electric Velocipede). I enjoy going to conventions; I think they're the greatest place to network and do promotion (editorial side note: I got placed on a autograph session at a Jersey Devil Con [why I'll never understand] but I sat myself next to an author who was in my zine so I sold several single issues and subscriptions to people in line who then had said author autorgraph them), but since I left Tor, I find it hard to work conventions into my schedule.

I suspect like many others, I tend to go to 'local' conventions because it's cheaper. For me, 'local' can mean everything from Washington D.C. to Boston to Pittsburgh. That covers a lot of area. But I still only make it to one or two a year recently because local ends up meaning anything within 50 miles (Lunacon, Philcon, and Jersey Devil Con) of my home. This prevents me from getting to conventions I think I would really enjoy (Armadillocon springs to mind).

What about everyone else? Do people on this board go to conventions? (I know some of you go to quite a few conventions) Are there any conventions that people are planning on going to?

For the remainder of the year, I have tentative plans to go to Readercon (Boston area), definite plans to go to Worldcon (Toronto this year), and speculative plans to go to the SFWA Editors/Writers Ball. Will I be able to meet and greet anyone there?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 08:40 am:   

Not exactly a con but:

NJ Zine Fest
http://www.njzinefest.com

Might be fun. I'll be there to check it out. It's from noon to 6PM on this Sunday at Rutgers.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:56 am:   

Hey, John. I've gone to WorldCon in Baltimore and World Horror Con in Atlanta. I just got back from ICFA, where I presented a paper on Neil Gaiman. I regularly go to Trinoc*con in nearby Durham, NC, and I'll be a literary guest there this year. I want to try to make it to World Fantasy this year, and Mythic Journeys next year.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:01 am:   

Jason:

I'm really tempted to try and go to World Fantasy this year since it's so close to where I live. It's also a convention I've enjoyed going to in the past (New Orleans '94 and Chicago '96). Depending on what's going on, maybe I'll make it down there for a day or two. I guess this year's Worldcon is just a little too far, eh?

OK, people, help me out. Who's going to Readercon?

JK

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 02:35 pm:   

So far, i've only attended Trinoc*con. I do plan on attending next year's World Fantasy and World Horror, if time and money allow.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 08:30 am:   

Well, the zine fest was pretty much what I suspected it would be. Lots of music and political (and I say lots, I mean about a dozen) zinesters sitting around tables with colored hair, pierced faces, and punky grungy clothes. Not exactly where I fit in; truth be told, I didn't try very hard. I think it would have been fine had I known about it in advance and could've gotten some table space. Dropped off some flyers. Saw some interesting stuff, though.

Andreas: where is World Horror next year? I know that World Fantasy is in Tempe (and what is that all about? someone broaden my horizons as to why Tempe is a good place for a Word Fantasy please {being serious, not sarcastic}). Did you like Trinoc*con? Just curious.

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 07:40 am:   

John -- Trinoc-con is pretty good (I've been a guest there the past 3 years), but really small. I may go this year, but probably not as a guest. Not a big fan of panels.

You should come and sell lots of zines.

Speaking of cons, you going to World Fantasy in DC? Will the Fall issue of EV be out then?

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 08:54 am:   

I don't think I'll be buying a membership for World Fantasy due to my limited vacation time this year. I am considering heading to DC that weekend, since I enjoy DC and the con is there too, and maybe crashing some events at the con while my wife and toodle around the city.

Issue #5 of EV should be ready for Worldcon in August.

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Ah, bummer. One of these days we shall meet, I decree...

I'm thinking of doing a launch party for the antho INTRACITIES, and if I do, I'd be happy to peddle some issues of EV #5 for you. Just let me know!

Mike the overcaffeinated one
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

Oh wait -- just reread what you said, John! So you may be there after all! Good news. Either way, my offer to sell some EVs still stands!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 08:14 am:   

OK Readercon folks, got my programming thingy, should we try to get on the same panel? Then we can talk about whatever we want.

JK

William Shunn
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 03:05 pm:   

I got mine for Readercon, and I guess I have to send it back before tomorrow. Have you sent yours in yet, John? What panels did you mark yourself down for, if so?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register