Issue 4 (due in May) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Issue 4 (due in May) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:05 am:   

Here are the contents for issue #4 which will be produced some point after April 15. Watch this space for the listings of future issues.

FICTION
The Ship by Jay Caselberg
Fat Nate’s Master Plan by Stepan Chapmam
The Rose Thief by Beth Adele Long
Maxwell’s Letter by Ezra Pines
Paul and the Computer by Kevin L. Donihe
Dash for Cover by Nina DeGraff
Mrs. Janokowski Hits One Out of the Park by William Shunn
Trying To Fly by Chuck Hogle
Catch & Release by Mark Rich

POETRY
Underwater by Christina Sng
Restoration by Christina Sng
Compound Eye by John Rubins
Human DNA by John Rubins
SF 101 by Jonathan Brandt

NON-FICTION
Attic Space: Robert R. McCammon by Bill Braun
Nitwit’s Nitpicks: Glen Cook’s Black Company by John Klima

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:07 am:   

Just so folks know, this issue will be completed and ready to be shipped to your hot little hands in the next few days. There is a special subscription offer for Night Shade Board people, if you look around the Electric Velocipede board, you might just find it.

I should mention one change in the table of contents: Instead of talking about Glen Cook's Black Company books, I decided to review The Etched City and Nemonymous 1 & 2 in this issue.

If you have questions, please e-mail me.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

Sweet! Looking forward to it, John! Maybe I'll have Etched City read by the time it arrives -- I'm about 1/3 of the way through...

Des
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   

Thanks, John, for reviewing Nemo. That's a pleasant surprise. Des

John Klima
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:19 pm:   

Issue #4 is assembled and will be on its way to you shortly. If you're not a subscriber, you can go to the newly updated website:

http://members.aol.com/evzine

Let me know about errors that are on the website. I always put this thing up late at night and miss something. I've changed the design, as I always do with each new issue, and as usual, I'm not sure about this one. In particular, go over my FAQ page and let me know if it's useful.

Online you'll find story excerpts and poetry, as well as the complete review text from issue #4. Feel free to quote from the reviews, the other material is copyrighted by the writers.

I hope to hear from you. Remember, if you subscriber now until the end of the year and mention that you saw this offer on the Night Shade Board, I will give you five issues going into the future (issues #4 - #8) and all three previous issues (while supplies last). That's right, 7 issues for the price of 4! For only $10! How can you beat that price? If I run out of early issues before you subscribe, I will tack on an additional issue to the end of your subscription for every early issue that you could not receive.

Am I crazy or what? I must need sleep...but it's only 10:30PM....

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:33 pm:   

Hmmm...it appears that I initially said that the offer was valid through the end of May, but now I claim it's good until the end of the year. Honestly, the end of the year sounds better to me, even if I run out of back issues! So, get on board and get a great deal. Check out the other threads in this section to see who's been in the zine already, and who'll be in it next.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

--Minz
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:15 am:   

I can't wait to get EV#4!
I fell in love with Bill's "Mrs. Janokowski Hits One Out of the Park" ever since I heard him read it late last year.
So when am I getting my copy?
When? When? When?

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:54 am:   

After a cover debacle, the copies are currently sitting in mail trucks around the nation waiting to be shoved through mail slots. However, I could hand-deliver yours, you lazy sod.

JK

Des
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 06:23 am:   

How can I get one in UK?
Des

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 07:09 am:   

You can order online [www.electricvelocipede.com go to the shopping link], although some people are not a fan of that, so you can mail $6 US to (please make international checks, personal checks, or money orders payable to John Klima):

Electric Velocipede
c/o John Klima
PO Box 663
Franklin Park, NJ 08823

There is a printable order form on the website, but I see I have no info on that page about Canadian or Foreign single issues. I'll have to fix that.

Send me an e-mail if you have other questions.

John Klima

Des
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 08:36 am:   

Hi, thanks, John. I'll be sending you 6 US dollars in cash shortly. Des

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 01:16 am:   

Mistah Klima. Contrib copies arrived today and looking good!

Thank you, sir.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:19 am:   

You got them already? Wow-ee that was fast. Glad you like them. Decided on a new design, obviously, think it looks more professional.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:40 am:   

Just got my copy in the mail yesterday and I'm excited to tear into it. I like the new design. Looks great!

Jay C
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 10:00 am:   

Yep, sure does. Careful, John, or you'll be going upmarket...

Chuck Hogle
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

My contribution copies came in the mail yesterday...the magazine looks fantastic! I'm about half way through the stories, really enjoying everything. Reading the bios on the last page, I'm proud to be in the company of such accomplished writers.
Kudos to the editor!

Neil Clarke
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 10:50 pm:   

Picked up copies from John today and I've read almost all of the current issue. Quite good. Glad I decided to pick up back issues while I was at it!

-Neil

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 10:36 am:   

Have to thank everyone for the nice comments. <i've> Oops, did I type that out loud?

I just want to mention that I think it's a strange bit of synchronicity that EV, LCRW, and FUHU all had new issues in the same week. Very strange.

Nothing like a week chock full of ziney goodness.

Check out:

http://www.lcrw.net
http://members.aol.com/fullunithookup/index.html

To see what I'm talking about. This is all Gavin's fault.

JK

Des
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:51 am:   

Thanks so much, John, for the great review of Nemonymous in EV#4. Really chuffed.
EV looks great, btw, and reminds me of one of my all time favourite UK mags in the past called 'The Heliograph'.
I look forward to reading all the 4 issues which I've now got.
Des

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:59 am:   

John - I got my copies of EV at the weekend. Some great stuff. Thanks!

Liz

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 06:14 am:   

Just to be clear on the special offer. It is 7 issues for the price of whatever a normal subscription would be for depending on where you live:

$10 US
$15 Canada
$20 elsewhere

This offer is good only until I run out of back issues...or the end of 2003, whichever comes first!

John Klima

PS--thanks, thanks, thanks for the kind words!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 01:54 pm:   

I just finished reading issue #4 and am very impressed. Each issue keeps getting better and better.

William Shunn
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 03:02 pm:   

If it's not unseemly, I have to add my voice to the general praise of EV #4. It's really cool to have a story rubbing shoulder's with all the fine pieces in that issue. Any day with an Ezra Pines story is a good day.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 03:20 pm:   

John,

Just got Issue 4. The design is very appealing, as are the contents. I wish now that I had taken advantage of that subscription special you offered before Issue 3 went out of stock.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 06:28 am:   

Hey Gang!

Issue #4 is currently a featured review on SF Site. The review starts out positively, but the commentary at the end makes me feel like the review wasn't very good overall. Nonetheless, it was nice to have a review that talked about individual stories, which is more of what I care about than getting accolades for myself.

Go directly to the review:

http://www.sfsite.com/10a/ev161.htm

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

Christina Sng
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:19 am:   

Hi John,

I just found this newsgroup while visiting Rhys Hughes.

#4 and #5 arrived safely and intact. I had a great time reading them. Thank you! :D

Yup. I read the review too, and on a personal note, ouch. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, as are the readers who make their own conclusions after reading it. In this case, it seems this reviewer may not be much of a poetry aficionado. He appears unaware of the form prose poetry, saying:

"Added to this is the fact that the author of the two longer pieces, Christina Sng, doesn't seem to understand that poetry is more than a case of inserting a line break every half dozen words."

[On an aside, the word "fact" is used only after many independent and consistent verifications of a theory (like gravity, for instance).]

In addition, he stated that he is "unconvinced about" haikus, which perhaps disqualifies him from making an informed and objective critique of prose poetry and haikus.

[In a professional review, critics focus on the work at hand, not on the person:

"The acting in Gigli was terrible."
vs
"It is a fact that Ben and Jen do not understand what acting is all about."]

The reviewer had no qualms about steering his review away from the works at hand to an argumentum ad hominem.

Regardless of what he said about the magazine on the whole and in its parts, EV is one of the rare few that combines most unique and clever works in it. That's what distinguishes EV from other magazines in the same genre. I've always thought that, and have always been proud to be in such a great company in the last 3 issues. The recent review for 28 Days Later enticed me to go watch it, and it was every bit as good as the reviewer said it was. Kudos to the reviewer and the editor who published it.

Thanks again for the contributor copies. I passed one each to my mom and dad and they really enjoyed them. My dad's quite fascinated with the haikus. I would like to thank you too for including my work in EV, and most recently, giving me the opportunity to share a TOC with the inimitable Jon Hodges.

Cheers,
Christina Sng
http://www.mephala.com

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:26 am:   

Yeah, I've not gotten any review that I feel is a rave (although Trent's is awfully close)...but I'd rather people be honest and say what they feel. Sometimes I wish there would be a review that spoke to the magazine as a whole rather than to the individual stories. But what can you do?

This review in questions seems to be nice, but then doesn't day anything nice.

Glad you got the copies and enjoy the zine. It's always a pleasure to have your poetry in it.

JK

Christina Sng
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:54 pm:   

Thanks John, that means a lot to me. :D

I'm sure a lot of individual writers and readers have raved about the magazine. That could go into The Vibe as well.

Cheers,
Christina

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register