Welcome Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Welcome « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:45 am:   

Hey check this out! The folks at Night Shade Books were kind enough to provide me with some space here to chat about my zine, Electric Velocipede. Many of you know about it already, since you've been published in its pages or will be published in its pages, but here's a chance for the rest of you to learn about it.

Electric Velocipede is a mostly fiction print zine that comes out twice a year. It's featured authors such as: Neal Barrett, Jr., Rick Bowes, Jay Caselberg, Stepan Chapman, Brendan Connell, Alex Irvine, Jeff VanderMeer, and many others.

For more info, go to:

http://members.aol.com/evzine

Watch this space for more news.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

A quick bio of the editor:

John Klima began his career in publishing by taking an internship with Jim Frenkel (an editor with Tor Books) in 1993. After college and many years in fast-food and retail bookselling, John moved to the East Coast to find work as an editor.

He put in time writing software reviews and working for crossword puzzle magazines before he landed an editorial assistant positon with Asimov's and Analog science fiction magazines. Shortly thereafter, John was offered a position at Tor Books.

John worked at Tor for two years before leaving publishing for the high-profile life of a computer programmer. Proving that you can't ever entirely leave publishing, John worked for a company that developed fulfillment software for large publishing companies. He now works as a consultant for one of his former customers.

Not long after leaving Tor, John met Gavin Grant and was swept up in the enthusiasm of zine-making, something John had contemplated as early as 1995. Relying on his existing contacts in the publishing world, John developed the idea for Electric Velocipede and launched the first issue at the SFWA Editors 'n' Authors gathering in 2001.

John lives in the wilds of New Jersey with his lovely wife who puts up with him.

Jay C
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

Ahh, cool, John. Very nice.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 11:59 am:   

Hey cool, John. Glad you've a got a forum now for EV. I'm really looking forward to having my story in its pages soon. Do you know yet whether "Songstress" will be in issue #5 or #6?

Take care. Stay groovy.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   

Issue #5, which I want to publish for WorldCon, may be quite a bit larger than previous issues. Since I'm still getting #4 finished, I can't say for sure what will make the cut on #5. I've got this huge story from some Hartley guy that's making it difficult to fit other stories in....

Having said that, #4 is done except for my criticism piece, so it won't be long at all for when I can sort out what I can put in issue #5.

JK

ben peek
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 08:25 pm:   

hey john, that's neat. i didn't know anything about electric velocipede before today. (this is not surprising, as i'm not really plugged into any kind of info loop for this kind of stuff.) (it's a cool name, too.)

i always like learning about something new.

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:04 pm:   

Glad to teach people something new. It's a lot of fun. There's going to be a major website redesign with the next issue (go the Blog for an idea of what it'll look like). In addition to being better streamlined, I want to provide better more timely content. I've been working on giving a weekly piece to my Yahoo group, so that it always has something new. I'm also vamping up my links page so that anyone who comes to my site can get out to all these other people.

Again, thanks for the interest.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 06:55 pm:   

Everyone, I'll be out of town for nine days with no internet access. I apologize in advance if you don't hear from me as quickly as you'd like.

JK

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:35 am:   

John -- is #4 available yet? I'm thinking of treating myself to a subscription...

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:47 am:   

I finally have a new PO Box for the zine and can now assemble issue #4. It should be ready in the next week or two. While you're at it Mike, you should treat everyone you know to a subscription.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:48 am:   

NEW ADDRESS

The new mailing address is (anything already in the mail will be forwarded to me):

Electric Velocipede
PO Box 663
Franklin Park, NJ 08823

William Shunn
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:11 am:   

Hi, John! Nice place you have here.

-b

christinasng
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 01:48 am:   

Hi John,

Dropping a note to say hi. :D This is a cool board.

Looking forward to seeing #4.

The wilds sounds exciting! Coming from an urban jungle, I'd love to live in a place like LOTR's shire. Absolutely peaceful.

Cheers,
Christina

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 08:51 am:   

Bill & Christina:

Good to see you here. Hope you have fun looking around. Issue #4 should be shipping over the long Memorial Day weekend here in the US.

I have contents picked for issue #5, but I need to inform the authors first, then I'll list who's going to be in the issue here. Safe to say, issue #5 is going to be a double-issue that I intend to put together in time for Worldcon in Toronto.

Thanks again!

JK

--Jim Minz
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:07 am:   

Well, well, well . . . it appears friends both old and new have an interesting haunt here. Hope to see more of y'all, both etherically as well as physically.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:53 am:   

Hey! It's Minz! Great to see you aboard! Don't lose too much time here.

JK

William Shunn
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 02:56 pm:   

Hi, Jim!

Minz
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   

And now I've bookmarked the page and fully intend on sticking my nose in a little more often (which wouldn't take much . . . )

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:56 pm:   

Geez, Klima, you attract all the bad influences...

minz
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:01 pm:   

*sniff, sniff* that's the nicest thing you've ever said about me. Somebody have a hanky?

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:53 am:   

And what exactly are you going to do with it...?

minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:36 am:   

*bats his eyes innocently*

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

Oh go make a new thread and flirt with each other already!

minz
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   

JEA-lous! He's so cute when we use his personal space for our dangerous liezones.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:27 am:   

Well, I don't really care, but Jay has that whole damn bar at his place!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 02:16 pm:   

Hey! I just hit 750 messages on this thread, hoo-ray for me. Nothing compared to other boards (VanderMeer, Shepard, F&SF, etc.) but not bad.

JK

al duncan
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:24 am:   

Hey John. Goddamn NTL won't let me at my mailbox so I can't check yer email with the address we're supposed to be meeting at. I remember what up-down street it's on and I think I've got the number but if I can't find you, I'm really sorry. Feckin sheckinfricken bloody cheap-ass NTL bastards.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:57 am:   

It's a little late now, but 46th St. and 6th Ave. if you happen to catch this. If not, we'll meet up in Glasgow next Summer, ok?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:31 pm:   

Good to meet you, Al. Looking forward to coming to your neck of the woods next year.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 06:50 pm:   

From Neil at Clarkesworld Books:

"Effective immediately and ending on Friday at 8:00PM, all books and magazines listed as in inventory are 10% off. Just mention this newsletter in the comments section and I'll subtrack 10% when I process the order. Spread the word."

http://www.clarkesworldbooks.com

This place carries everything from Electric Velocipede to Bantam Spectra mass-markets. Everything from Prime Books to PS Publishing. Good stuff. Great selection. I'm sure Neil stocks something you like.

John Klima

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register