Anyone need help finding something? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Anyone need help finding something? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 05:57 am:   

I have an assignment for one of my summer classes in which I am to help someone look for information and write up how I went about the task. The information seeking needs to be complex enough that the user couldn't use existing online/Web searches to complete their goal. I'll need to interview the person to determine their information needs, and then do the searching.

So, anyone out there, any authors, need help in doing some research? As I said, this is for research that you can't achieve by Googling. I'll be using Dialog, LexisNexis, and variety of other sundry indexes and databases for the search.

I need to have my search determined by Monday June 6 (the class is done June 24), so if you see this after Sunday June 5, forget it. I have a few ideas that I can use, but I wanted to reach out and see what other things were out there.

You can post here or e-mail me.

JK

JV
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   

I need to find out anything I can about a Martha Resner who lived in Washington State sometime in the past 30 to 40 years and may have wound up in Florida at some point or have relatives in Florida.

I think her husband's name is/was Sam.

JeffV

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 04:23 pm:   

Hmm, don't know if that will work for my class, but I can try to help you out.

These are the types of things I will be using for searching:

http://www.dialog.com/products/dialogweb/

http://www.lexisnexis.com/productsandservices/

http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/indexes/indexes.shtml

JK

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   

Hey, John. Figured this was a good topic to post here, because I need help finding something. <vbg> Okay, so it has nothing to do with the original intent of the topic.

Fantasy football: I'm in. Now. How the hell do I get to our league office screen? What's the link? Sheesh. I did the ESPN FF thing a few years ago, but I've forgotten. All I get are their front page and overall info screens.

Naturally, you'll need a Fantasy Football topic soon enough. I'd've started it, but I didn't want to deprive you of the thrill! (I'll have to start one on MY topic then.)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 02:42 am:   

Ha! Silly me. Figured it out. :-)

Jay
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   

JV - Were you still looking for information on Martha Resner? I believe that may be my great grandmother.. She lived in Washington State, one of her daughters ended up in Florida.. let me know.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register