Dangerous Books of the 19th and 20th ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Dangerous Books of the 19th and 20th Century « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   

This list is laughable. Jewel's book of poetry is not even on it.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591

Enjoy!

JK

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   

The most dangerous book I've seen is the novelization of XXX (the Vin Diesel film). Or perhaps the novelizations (yes, plural) of The OC. Knowing those exist makes me want to injure people.

Dunmore
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 01:35 am:   

The Webster's Third New International English Dictionary is pretty dangerous. It's so heavy, you could do yourself a serious injury trying to pick it up.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:02 am:   

Well Dunmore, by that logic, there are many fantasy series that contain dangerous books. I guess by Robert's theory too, there are many fantasy series that contain dangerous books.

Don't forget the novelization of DIESEL, the wonderful Shaq film.

JK

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 08:24 am:   

Seriously, that list warmed my heart. And I like the bit at the end, where they list the people who made the choices. One woman, and she's the president of the Eagle Forum. Oh, what fun!`

Dunmore
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:43 am:   

You know, I was just about to write how I was surprised that The Origin of Species didn't make it on the list, but I just noticed the "Honourable Mentions" lower down and, sure enough, it's there.

Course, Darwin had it all wrong. We're decended from aliens rather than apes, but seeing as he came before Lovecraft he wasn't to know.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

Yes that's right! The giant penguins helped gestate the alien eggs that we hatched from.

JK

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:51 am:   

Both Origin and Descent made the honorable mentions. I can, of course, summarize the list for you: Thinking is Dangerous.

Dunmore
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:52 am:   

And surely Harry Potter should be there somwhere, twisting the delicate minds of the young towards the downfall of evil the way he does, with all that satanism thinly disguised as hocus-pocus which, luckily, was ingeniously picked up on by the Parents of Righteousness who soon put a stop to all that.

Oh yes, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't change a turnip into a water-melon.

Dunmore
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:00 am:   

Nice summary, Tim. They needed a whole panel of "judges" to tell them that, and in a very long-winded way. You could have saved them the bother, that's for sure.

JK, that must explain the special affinity we have with penquins these days, like we're trying to get back to our roots.

Dunmore
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

Sorry, not roots. Our eggs.

Minz
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   

Um, I'm more in touch with my feminine side than Phyllis Schlafly (of Eagle Forum infamy). Though I don't have plans to be barefoot, pregnant, taking care of all of my spouse's needs anytime soon, which is how God and Phyllis intended woman to be.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register