Issue #9 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Issue #9 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 06:28 am:   

Here is the line-up for issue #9 which should be debuting at Worldcon/Interaction in Glasgow:

FICTION
The Chiaroschurist by Hal Duncan
Another Day by Mark Rich
Hard Time by Mark Tiedemann
A Taste for Flowers by Jay Caselberg
Braids of Glass by Jonathan Laden
In Strange Countries and Foreign Parts by Anna Tambour
The Euonymist by Neil Williamson
Solipster by Jason Erik Lundberg

POETRY
Stalling Wonderland by Kristine Ong Muslim
The New City by Kristine Ong Muslim
In Search of the Shrine by David C. Thompson

NON-FICTION
Attic Space by Bill Braun

The Hal Duncan piece is a novelette at just over 9,000 words; but trust me, it's a good one. The Caselberg piece I'm sure will bother some of the more kind-hearted people out there :-), but remember, it's only a story! The rest of the issue is very strong, too, if I must say so myself. I've been receiving revisions/respones to my edits the past week, and will have this off to the printer in short order.

This issue marks the last Attic Space for the time being as Bill needs time for his family (a noble endeavor). This issue will also feature a cover by Thom Davidsohn, the man behind the design of JPPN. Very cool stuff.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 08:32 pm:   

Sounds like a good lineup. Next issue you'll reach a good milestone: TEN!

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:32 am:   

Yeah, I'm excited too, but I'm trying to not look beyond issues I haven't published yet on the way there! I was going to make some announcements about #10, when I realized I hadn't posted anything about #9. I want to do something special for #10, and may have some questions for you.

Congrats yourself on hitting #30!

JK

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   

Thanks, John! We wanted to do something special for #30 as well (since it's also our tenth anniversary), like have some TB alums check in with some special articles. Couldn't get moving on that (my fault).

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:48 am:   

And now, the cover:

issue 9

This issue marks Bill Braun's last column for EV.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:49 am:   

The design is by Thom Davidsohn, the designer of JPPN.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   

Holy shit! That looks fucking amazing! And my name is up there! Whee! I can't wait for this to come out.

Btw, I read "Solipsister" this weekend at WisCon, and it seemed to go over well with the ten or so people that showed up to the midnight reading. I definitely pimped the issue.

Anna Tambour
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   

Clean, bold, wonderfully woopsical. I love it. The font works so well with the design, too. Thumbs up, Thom!

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   

Really dig the cover, John. I think I saw that scene once on the shores of Lake Mendota.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:00 am:   

Thanks for the kind words everyone, but it's really Thom who deserves all the credit. We'll try to not recreate the scene in Glasgow or on the shores of Mendota this fall.

And 1,000 points to Jason for pimping the issue. That's good work. :-)

JK

Minz
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:21 am:   

I just started proofing the issue for JK (hey, how else can I justify haranging John for an early look?), and I have to tell you, the opening story, "The Chiaroscurist" by Hal Duncan, blew me away. What a great fuckin' story--great writing, great ending. I might have to say the best JK's pubbed to date, and I've been lovin' EV from #1. A shame the rest of you have to wait to August to read it!!! I just wish I could justify reading--I mean proofreading--the rest of it at work.

neilw
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:51 am:   

It's a brilliant story Minz. I loved it at an earlier stage and loved it to death. Very happy to be sharing pages both with that story, and with that superb cover.

rwexler
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:24 am:   

Not to go around agreeing with everyone, but yeah! on the cover.

And I pimped EV too! I read from my EV 10 story, hopefully stopping at a place that will inspire people to purchase it when its available so they can find out what happens.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:42 pm:   

Cover.

Niiiiice.

:-)

al duncan
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:52 pm:   

Great cover! Makes me want to click my fingers in that '50s beatnik cafe applause kinda way.

jeff ford
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:52 pm:   

John: I love Thom's art work -- it's so...simple and clean and I don't know, but its just appealing to the eye. Great line-up for this issue. I'm looking forward to it.

Clarkesworld Books
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 11:07 am:   

I love the cover. Have to get this up on our site immediately!

-Neil

rick bowes
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   

Great cover and, yes, absolutely redolent of bongo drums and berets and smoke filled coffee houses with Thelonius playing in the background.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll make sure that Thom is seeing them, too, as he deserves all the credit on the cover design. Thom's doing issue #10, too, and that cover also kicks ass.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   

I've redesigned the website. At the moment, it's really boring, but it's functional. I don't have time to devote to it at the moment, but I'm trying to do something interesting. Really. :-)

Let me know if you have any issues with it.

JK

Deborah
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   

John -- could you email me?

deborahlayne at wheatlandpress.com

Thanks.

Anna Tambour
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 04:53 pm:   

John, I've tried it in Firefox and in IE, and in both, 'Electric Velocipede' is cut off at the ankles.
I think it needs to get more space up in the banner section, not that I know how to do it, as I don't use Blogger.
As for 'really boring', I don't think that is anywhere near as important as whether a site is easy to read and intelligibly accessible. Yours is both.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:14 pm:   

Electric Velocipede shows up fine on mine (IE)...

Anna Tambour
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   

Maybe it's my screen resolution settings. I use 800 x 600 pixels, but is there anything close to a standard? What do other people see?

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   

It comes out cut-up for me too. So, I don't think it is just Anna's screen.

Otherwise, va bene!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 05:45 am:   

It is the screen resolution. I usually use 1024 X 768 (in which the name appears fine). I was monkeying around with the site at different resolutions to see how it looked and couldn't get anything that I was happy with; so I left it alone. I'll have to make the title slightly smaller, but that's much easier now that I'm finally using CSS and I only have to change one file to change the look of the whole site.

JK

Minz
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 07:33 am:   

The banner works fine for me. But no matter how I resize the window it was in, about two character spaces are cut-off the righthand side of the main homepage blog (with left-right scroll bar on bottom allowing me to see the entire line if I so desire). This is IE, Compaq Pentium 4, windows 2000.

Much more important, though, is your need to update your FAQ to also list the fabulous BORDERLANDS Bookstore as another venue that carries EV, so all those hip PacNW know where to get their fix. Chop, chop.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   

Anyone out there want to do some small black and white sketches?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:58 pm:   

Mailed out issue #9 today to the printer. Last night, I was finalizing the issue when I discovered (around midnight) that my PDF generator would not let me change the paper source from letter sized paper to legal. Hmmm. Very odd. I've had this problem before, but I'll damned how I fixed it.

So, downstairs to the desktop where the PDF generator works. Of course, when I bring up the issue, almost a dozen fonts I used are not available on that machine. I could go back to the laptop, pull the fonts off of it, load them on the desktop, etc. Or, I can use fonts I have on the desktop (there are many to choose from).

So, it's reformating a bunch of pages and whatnot at about 12:30AM. But, it gets done around 1AM.

Then all I need to do is burn the disc and put it in the mail.

Disc #1, burned the quark files, not the PDF spreads. Into the trash.

Disc #2, one of the stories is set in Times New Roman instead of Garamond. Could leave it, but why?

Disc #3, story re-set in Garamond and the disc is good to go. Time? 1:30AM. Did I mention that I have to get up in a few hours for work?

Sigh.

Picking it up this weekend so I can send it to Glasgow. Looking forward to the weekend away.

John Klima

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:45 am:   

OK, so there's this rumor that issue #9 exists. Well, it's not really true. I am not looking at a copy on my desk--its eye-popping Thom Davidsohn cover distracting my typing--not at all.

You see, it won't exist until Interaction (it will sort of appear out of thin air, I suspect along with a loud popping noise) and then you should be able to go to the Borderlands Books table in the dealer's room and get a copy. Those of you not going to Interaction, should have copies mysteriously appearing in your mail boxes later in August.

Don't believe anything Minz or Grant tell you. There are no copies available. And if you see me at KGB or some other erstwhile place, perhaps more rumors will spread about ersatz Electric Velocipedes.

I cannot prevent the spread of rumor, only help it.

These are not the zines you are looking for.

Move along.

JK

AT
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:22 pm:   

August, come!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 09:54 am:   

Will the contributor copies be coming in August as well?

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 10:00 am:   

AT-August will be here sooner than you think.

Jason-Yes. Everything will be appearing in August. I usually send out contrib copies first, then subscribers, then reviewers, then everyone I forgot about.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   

UPDATE: Word comes from Hal Duncan that copies of issue #9 have appeared in Glasgow and will absolutely be available in the dealer's room at the Borderlands Books table (along with Small Beer Press, and many other excellent items)!

JK

al duncan
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   

There will not, HopEfully, be too Much of A wait. God knowS. Neil And myself aRe on tEnterHooks to see Even eRsatz Electric Velocipede.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   

Me too dammit.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 04:11 pm:   

Geez, that reminds me, I've got to get Talebones & Fairwood stuff out to Glasgow too...

AT
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   

John, does this mean that you and Hal have indeed, made August come in July? Can you do anything to make my computer work better, or do you just mess with the universe?

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:06 pm:   

Off to Scotland. I hope to see a lot of you there! Check the bar. If you see me, lead me to the bar.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 06:38 am:   

Apparently issue #9 is so popular that it's selling on Ebay in the UK. C'mon people! I have copies still. Don't pay more than 10 pounds sterling for it when I can get it to you for less than half that! Sheesh! I guess if you want to get ripped off, go ahead, but that's a sale I would like to have. I guess I should be Ebay myself, eh?

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 01:33 pm:   

Wow, that's really cool. Though I'm sure it has nothing to do with my story in there.

rick bowes
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   

John

One copy of issue #9 just sold on Ebay in the U.K. for almost $40. Another has almost $10 in bids with over 5 days to run. Hal Duncan is the name featured. If Duncan and EV #9 are that hot, you might do well to have someone put issues up for sale on Ebay. I'm not running any auctions until late September and in any case I don't usually sell books or magazines. Is there someone you know in New Jersey who does?

AT
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 06:29 pm:   

John, Your site still has #8 as the 'current issue' and isn't showing 9 at all in your shopping section. And Clarkesworld is still showing 9 as 'coming soon'.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 06:21 am:   

Jason: Hal got written up in collector's magazine in the UK that featured a cover shot of issue #9. The interest around Hal has been, well, almost scary. :-)

Rick: I could put up my own copies, but the difference between what I have and what they're selling is that those copies are signed. I don't have any signed copies. It was frustrating at first to see them there and think "That's a sale I could have made!" but when I realized they're selling something I don't have...well I was less irritated. What I could do is not sell any more copies to that person, but I don't know if that's fair.

Anna: Since I still haven't formally sent out all my issues, issue #8 is still the current one. I didn't want to change the site before I left for Scotland and I haven't had time since I came home. I don't know when I will in the near future. There's a lot going on at work right now that's following me home. :-( Putting issue #9 up is going to require a lot of work; we'll see if I can get it done this weekend.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:21 am:   

The first wave of copies have hit the mails! You should start seeing them later this week. I've sent out copies to subscribers, single issue purchasers, and contributors. Later this week I'll get my reviewer copies in the mail.

Also, here's a post of the actual cover (color and all):

evcover_9

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   

Yay! Pretty! My contrib copies arrived yesterday, and I'm so excited.

Jetse
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 03:37 am:   

John slipped me a copy at WorldCon (which reminded me to renew my subscription).

Love the Thom Davidsohn cover, and looking forward to reading it (with a ton of other books/magazines, among which Nova Scotia) when I've finished with the August slushpile in September.

Anyway, John: keep up the good work!

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 05:47 am:   

The website has been updated with access to the complete text of the Hal Duncan, Mark Rich, Jay Caselberg, Anna Tambour, and Neil Williamson stories. More stories may go up as I hear back from authors.

I decided to keep the general look of the site for now, but remove the frames from it. This was a bigger undertaking than I imagined, so please let me know if there is anything awry with the site.

And as Jason has mentioned elsewhere, you can buy copies of the issue on Ebay, but if you buy them from me, you'll save at least $30.

Thanks to everyone involved in this issue. I'm very proud of it.

John Klima

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:03 am:   

Don't be surprised if there's a blip of interest from folks in TX. Some drunken lout might've been chatting it up at Armadillocon.

rick bowes
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:16 am:   

Just sign the copies that you have "Hal Duncan" and sell them on Ebay. Who the hell is going to know the difference?

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

Minz: Good to see you back! Interest from TX is good.

Rick: I did post a couple on Ebay to see if I can draw people to the website and have them buy copies (even unsigned ones) for less from me.

JK

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   

Damn, THAT's what I need for Talebones. Where's a good drunken lout to chat up my mag when I need one? :-)

AT
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:44 am:   

Just got mine today. Reading now. Better than food. The site looks really good, too.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

Anna: Better than food? Even better than an eggplant? :-)

Patrick: Minz is available for rent if you need...just contact me. :-)

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

I'll be posting the remaining stories in the next day or two. All of my talented authors have agreed to post their stories online. After some comments from people, I've agreed that the stories look smushed so I'll be changing the layout slightly so they are easier to read online.

JK

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   

Nah, make the opening few paragraphs more readable, but the rest tougher to read, so they BUY THE LOVELY 'ZINE! :-)

AT
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 01:19 am:   

Post-devourment: Yes, better than food, but eggplant transcends food.

So, barring eggplant, this is some read! The Chiaroscurist is one smashing story. Took a break after that, so as to let it sit and percolate through me--a lovely story for reflection--and then ploughed on. Particularly adored The Euonymist, and in particular, Auntie Bella, though those fried potato scones did give me indigestion.
But then, there's not a single dud in this collection. They're all thoughtful, some with a peculiar stickiness, such as the creepy A Taste for Flowers and the realer than lots of today's 'reality', Hard Time. And Jason, your Solipsister gave me claustrophobia!

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 02:18 am:   

Hmmm, well, claustrophobia's not exactly what I was going for, but I'm glad it did have an effect on you, Anna.

And wow, I'm pleasantly surprised that every single contributor to this issue has agreed to have their story online. It was a no-brainer for me, but I was sure at least one or two people would have preferred not to do it. I'm glad everyone proved me wrong! I'll blog about this as soon as my story goes up.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 06:02 am:   

Jason: I also thought someone would be reluctant to offer their fiction online, but everyone said yes. With the way the sales are going, that might be the only way to get a copy!

I'll get stories up soon, it was a rough couple of days here and I've been wiped out at night and not wanting to work on the computer.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

All stories are now up at www.electricvelocipede.com in case you can't get your hands on a paper copy, you'll be able to read them online.

I have a class this fall about site design, so I hope to revamp the website and make it less...boring.

Thanks to all my authors for helping me make their fiction more accessible.

JK

Jetse
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

John, allow me to barge in and say a few things about Electric Velocipede.

Basically, I hate almost half of the stories. However I love about the other half (there are only a few that leave me cold).

Make no mistake: I do mean this as great compliment. You do what I think a daring Small Press magazine should be doing: you carve out your own niche, you publish very idiosyncratic stories, you take risks.

And I applaud that.

Of course, there are plenty of stories that make me shake my head (and which will be highly appreciated by people that have a different taste than me).
But the "diamonds in the rough" that you publish (shameless quote of my The Fix review of Electric Velocipede 4) more than make up for the failures (read: stories that didn't work for me).
Transcendence by Catherine Dybiec Holm, The Ship by Jay Caselberg, Choice Cuts by Edd Vick, and The Marsella by Liz Williams--the ones that come easily to mind--effortlessly justify renewing my subscription (and I'm forgetting quite a few other very good ones).

Now you're putting all the stories of Electric Velocipede 9--great cover, BTW--online.

At first, I thought you were crazy. Now, I'm doubting: personally, I hate reading from a large computer screen (although I read slush on a small PDA ), and I do all my pleasure reading from paper.
Then it struck me: I'm always behind on my SciFiction and Strange Horizons reading. They both publish some great fiction, but I find myself turning to paper publications most of the time. If, say, SciFiction would release a paper version of their fiction, I would buy it. Yes: I would pay to read fiction on paper that I can read for free online.
So, maybe it works the other way around: reading EV 9 stories for free online may attract some people to buy (or subscribe) to the paper version.

Hopefully.

But I wouldn't put all of EV's fiction online, only this one issue.

Keep up the good work!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:26 am:   

Jetse: Thanks for the kind words! You're absolutely right. I don't expect everyone to love every story that I publish. I'm picking what I like, so I'm perhaps the only person who will like every story, every issue. I myself have never liked every story in any short-fiction magazine or anthology. There's always something that doesn quite work.

And you have to push and publish different things. Take "DYING IN THE ARMS OF JEAN HARLOW (THE COMING OF THE AUTOSCOPES)" by PAUL MELOY in the recent issue of The Third Alternative. That's not a story that I think Electric Velocipede could pull off. But, it's a great story. In a similar vein, "HEADS DOWN, THUMBS UP" by GAVIN GRANT from SciFiction is a story that I don't think I would have published, but I'm more than happy to read it somewhere else.

I'm hoping that putting the stories online draws attention to magazine and to the stories. I think my market is just small enough to fall under the radar of a lot of people since they just don't have access to it. Hopefully by placing it online, where anyone can get to it, some of the great fiction from this issue gets the recognition it deserves.

Also, with the attention this issue has gotten so far, there's a very real possibility that it will go out of print in the near future, so for some people, reading online will be the only to get to the stories.

JK

des
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

There's something to be cherished about stories in print and only in print, that simultaneously publishing on-line, I feel, would dissipate.
But good luck. I didn't know you were doing this, until I read above posts.
des

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   

Issue #9 is currently the #1 bestseller on Clarkesworld Books bestseller list!

http://www.clarkesworldbooks.com/bestseller.html

JK

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:55 am:   

John, have you thought about putting a FEW of the issues stories online instead of ALL of them? That's what we do on the Talebones site: a few complete stories, and/or a few excerpts. To riff on Jetse's comments, I wonder if having all of them up for free might have a NEGATIVE impact on your magazine sales. Those newbies who discover your site might be going, "Cool stories, hadn't known what this EV magazine was like, but hey, since they're all here for free, I guess I don't need to subscribe." Well. Dunno, just speculating.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:12 am:   

I don't think this is going to be a regular occurence. And one of the main reasons for deciding to do so was the fact that sales are going so well. It's a very real fact that this issue might be sold out in the next few weeks, and then the only place to find the fiction is online.

Also, this fiction will come down as the next issue comes available, so this fiction is not staying online in perpetuity.

I wanted to try something else and see what happens. It could have a negative impact, but the main thing I'm trying to do is reach a wider audience. This is something along the lines of what Cory Doctorow and Chalie Stross have done with their novels (well, Charlie only recently), and it's done nothing but aid their sales as far as they can see (Cory's first book has gone back for multiple reprintings, which is rare these days). I talked with Cory about this for a little bit in Glasgow and was inspired to try something different.

Not trying to say that anyone's wrong with what they're saying. And not trying to desperately justify what I did. The authors could have all said no. I could have decided in the end to not put anything up. But once people started saying yes, I thought I would go for it. For future issues, putting a few complete online is probably a better model.

In the long term? I don't know. It might become feasible to have an online subscriber base with a small run of print versions for collectors. It will be interesting to see where things go.

For the record, for me personally, digital versions of text do not replace physical versions. I love books. I've worked with books my entire professional life. I don't think books will disappear in my lifetime. But looking beyond that, I'm not so sure.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:21 am:   

John, I'd be happy leaving my story up even after the next issue comes out. If you took it down, I'd just put it on my website under a CC license anyway. But if you have space to archive it, I'm happy with it staying on the EV site.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:33 pm:   

Cool, John. A good plan.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 07:46 pm:   

Ahem. Issue #9 is now sold out.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 08:57 pm:   

Wow.

AT
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 09:46 pm:   

Oy! Aren't we lucky that you put this online, too. Thanks muchly. And I for one agree with Jason. I want my story to live online in Electric Velocipede as long as you're not sick of it. AND the OTHER stories, as I've already been recommending them to friends, and want to continue to.

As for Electric Velocipede's online appearance, please don't get too educated, and start to eff it up. I rather like its boring, vanilla appearance. It's a fast site now, and the black on white,in fonts and sizes that are readable, make it far and away better than many sophisticated sites.

AT
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 12:20 am:   

But won't you be doing another print run?

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 02:05 am:   

<<Ahem. Issue #9 is now sold out.

What's your print run?

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:02 pm:   

Nice EV review at the Internet Review of Science Fiction, although you have to join to read it.

http://www.irosf.com/

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 03:26 am:   

Hrmm, would have expected more. And no, it's not my version of Nobakov's Lolita and in fact has very little similarity at all. Strange how discomfort will affect some people.

Jetse
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   

Oh well, Jay, reviewers are just like people: they make mistakes.

Also, I have the impression that, while the amount he reads is impressive, the quality of Bluejack's reviews suffers from the pure quantity he tries to review.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 04:18 pm:   

Cool, thanks guys!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 09:01 am:   

Some new news:

I will be reprinting issue #9. After talking to people at World Fantasy, I've decided it was a great disservice of me to not go back and make more copies while the demand was there. I hope to have more copies by the end of the year. Please let me know if you've seen any errors in the issue that you'd like fixed.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   

Cool news, John.

Jetse
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   

Sheesh! Just when I was about to put my subscription copy up at ebay for a kazillion dollars...

Seriously: great news, John.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 08:02 pm:   

I now have more copies of issue #9. Please e-mail me if you are interested in obtaining a copy.

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register