Interaction Hugo Nominations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Interaction Hugo Nominations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 09:45 am:   

Hey folks. Your Hugo noms are due in a few months. I'd like to suggest Electric Velocipede if you're having trouble coming up with something for the fanzine category.

I'm also (as always) looking for recs on Hugo noms in other categories. I get Asimov's and F&SF, but I can't always keep up with them. So are there any stories that I need to go take a look at from these magazines?

John Picacio gave me a couple things to think about, what else is out there that I may have missed?

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede

chance
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 10:55 am:   

here is the list I started putting together - I'm particulaly looking for campbell nominee suggestions.

Novels:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (quit laughing)
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Novellas:

"Left of the Dial" by Paul Wicover
The Wrath of Mulgarath by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi (that's right, the evil children's book gambit, but most of the novellas sucked this year)

Novelettes:

"The Voluntary State" by Christopher Rowe
"Zora and the Zombie" by Andy Duncan
"Five Guys Named Moe" by Sean Klein

Short Stories:
"Pervert" by Charles Coleman Finlay
"Cold Fires" M. Rickert
"The Best Christmas Ever" by James Patrick Kelly
"On Display Among the Lesser" by Carol Emschwiller

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 11:16 am:   

Here you'll find a list of all the Campbell-eligible authors: http://www.sff.net/campbell-awards/authors.htm

Of course, there are a lot of people on the list, so here are the ones I like:

Barth Anderson
K. J. Bishop
Jay Caselberg
Mike Lewis
Steve Nagy
Chris Roberson
Sonya Taaffe

Which is more than the five I'm allowed, so I'll have to make some choices.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

I should clarify that list a litte, since you are eligible for two years for the Campbell. (this will also help me make my decision as the people who are new this year will be eligible next year, too)

Barth Anderson - 2003
K. J. Bishop - 2004
Jay Caselberg - 2003
Mike Lewis - 2003
Steve Nagy - 2003
Chris Roberson - 2004
Sonya Taaffe - 2004

And I should add Rudi Dornemann - 2004, whom I missed initially. The year is the year the person became eligible. I'll nominate all my 2003 people, and one of the 2004 people. But I don't know who yet.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 07:59 am:   

Hey, if you're like me and you haven't filled out your nomination form, there's no better time than the present. And if you're looking for another piece of short fiction to nominate, you could do worse than Alan DeNiro's story "A Keeper" from issue #6 of Electric Velocipede. This story made Locus's Recommended Reading List for last year, and is great fun.

Read the whole story online here:

http://members.aol.com/spiltmilkpress/akeeper.html

If you like it, nominate it! If you've already filled out your ballot, and you like the story, then buy the issue it was in:

http://www.electricvelocipede.com/shopping.html

Even better, get a subscription and you won't miss stories like this in the future!

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register