Issue #6 Reviews Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Issue #6 Reviews « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 09:57 am:   

So, has anyone seen any reviews anywhere of issue #6? I don't seem to be seeing any, and I sent the issue out to more places than I have before. Maybe they all know, and their conspiring to not review it since 'everybody' has it and 'someone' will review it so there's no rush for anyone to get to it.

This issue is tough for me to figure out. I think it's one of the strongest issues I've made; I think it looks more professional than any issue I've ever put together (because I didn't physically put it together, someone else did); I've got great name recognition with stories from Liz Williams, Alan DeNiro, Jay Lake, Stepan Chapman, William Shunn, etc.; but the issue seems to be selling worse than any previous issue. Can't figure out why.

Any thoughts?

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:18 am:   

To confirm my para...suspicions, EV#6 is on Project Pulp's list of "10 Most Overlooked Titles"

http://projectpulp.com/frontpage.asp

sigh

JK

Brendan
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:48 am:   

I don't know. I thought it was a step above the other issue I have, which is no. 4. And as you said, the line up has more "names" on it.

Personally I think it is one of the better "zines" I have been in - considering content, layout, etc.

Hopefully someone will put out some kind of controversial revue to get the wheels moving.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:50 am:   

Yeah. Isn't there somebody out there who hates this thing who I could villify?!?

JK

PS--thanks for the more-than-kind words Brendan!

Brendan
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:56 am:   

No problem. I have a ton of zines on my bookshelf and EV is one of about three that aesthetically satisfies me...And my wife likes it too!

Now back to my glass of banda azul...

Alan
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   

I think there's something in the latest Locus. Don't have my hands on a copy, though.

Alan

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   

Well that's cool. That's an issue I want to pick up anyway.

JK

steve redwood
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:39 am:   

Well, if you lot will persist in looking in the wrong place... here's a ball-roller for you.

http://www.ookami.co.uk/html/news.html

(Info on me in 'author thread' of 'forums' of above site)

Right, off to find the next beautiful maiden in distress...

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 05:07 am:   

Nice...

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   

Ha ha! Nice Steve. To address a few things in the review (and to only give some explanations, because I've expected everyone to like everything in the zine so I won't try to justify choices that I made that people don't care for): the Gene P. Lass stories have been published as they've come to me so any lag between them lies with the author; for the Alan DeNiro, I've checked my source document and there are a few typos I've missed there, but if there are more in the final issue than what I saw in the electronic document, that's my fault; and as for the 'love story' on p. 43, well...that's how I feel, if it reads like a story there's not much I can do to correct it.

Glad to see that overall it was more enjoyable for you than not. And that you appreciated that the contrib listings were more than blah, blah, blah.

Good place to start. Any not so closely connected to the zine got some thoughts for Mr. Redwood?

JK

Matt Cheney
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 05:54 pm:   

Rich Horton raves about #6 in the July Locus, and lists Alan's "The Keeper" as the first of his "recommended stories" for the month. Among other things, he says, "The Spring EV is very impressive. ... This is far and away the best issue so far." He cites William Shunn's story as one of the two best, then heaps praise on Alan's story (as he should), saying, "I found it very strange in the best of ways".

SF Site just sent me the issue to review, and I finished reading it tonight, so should be able to get them something soon. I haven't read previous issues, but liked much of what was here, and didn't actually dislike anything.

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   

Well cool. Somehow I looked through the July Locus and didn't see the thing. I'll have to look again. Thanks Matt.

JK

Neil A
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:48 am:   

Here's another one, though not particularly commital:

http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030.asp?tid=2&scid=59&iid=2467

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

Thanks Neil! You deserve a cookie!

JK

Mike S.
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 12:11 pm:   

"When I describe it as ambiguous nonsense, I mean it as a compliment."

That's the nicest thing anybody has ever said about anything I've written!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:45 am:   

Finally looked through the July Locus more carefully and read the review. I think this quote is a nice one:

"Very impressive."

I'll be using that one. Horton also singles out Alan DeNiro's story as one of the story to not be missed. A list that is normally/mostly F&SF, Asimov's, and Sci Fiction stories.

JK

steve redwood
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   

Hi,John, quite surprisd you seemed to think my review was negative-ish when I said every story appealed to me except one, but pointed out a few minor imperfections. As for the 'love story', I genuinely liked it, and was if anything expressing admiration for your courage in saying how you felt. If you choose to take it the wrong way...

Anyway, I get the impression from the enormous silence here that only Locus and other 'biggie' reviews have any value, so I shall not waste a whole evening in future trying to promote a magazine which happens to have appealed to me.

steve redwood
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:26 pm:   

Ignore last message, just been a bad day.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:14 pm:   

No problem Steve. I do appreciate your review. I even appreciate bad reviews, which yours was not. I geniunely enjoyed your review, and I can see that I left a word out of my response, it should have read:

"because I DON'T EXPECT everyone to like everything in the zine so I won't try to justify choices that I made that people don't care for." Not what I said previously.

I've linked to your review on the zine's website, and talked about on my blog. You mentioned it here, and provided a link, so I apologize for not talking it up more. I responded to your review because I thought you might appreciate hearing what the person who put the zine together would think of it. As I said before, glad that the zine was more enjoyable for you than not.

The enormous silence is why I started this thread. I was not hearing anything about what I feel is a very strong issue.

Buck up Steve! There's a new issue coming out soon that you'll need to review!

JK

Will
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:51 pm:   

Have you set up a "googlealert" to e-mail you when someone posts about EV? This won't hit the print venues obviously but it's turned up a few for Trunk Stories that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Congrats on a milestone issue John.
Will

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:42 am:   

Hey Will, how would I do that?

JK

Will
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:03 am:   

http://googlealert.com/

It's pretty straight forward and --I think-- still free. I have to use a lot of exclusions to get accurate results but I don't think Electric Velocipede will give too many false positives (though you might want to include "variant" spellings).

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:20 am:   

Thanks! I've just done a basic search for Electric Velocipede and another for Spilt Milk Press. So far there's nothing new. Hey Steve, your review is climbing up the ranks, people are reading it! It's cool to see how that works. After the review was here, it started climbing closer and closer to the top of the Google results list. I think it's the #5 option right now, after my own site, Project Pulp, this discussion board, and SF Site. Not bad! Not bad at all!

JK

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:13 pm:   

Hi Steve,

I would have said more myself, but since I am in the zine, I thought it would be sort of conflict-of-interesty.

I did think it was a good, even-handed review though and appreciated your comments. A few of them made me smile.

Cheers!

Brendan

steve r
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

Brendan, as you're here, I guess (well, I'm sure) there was a reason for the unusual style; was it to sugggest a kind of incantation? Or the demons retracing their paths, as it were?

John, my comment was silly, but since I can't delete it: I didn't want to climb up some Google ranking, it was just a momentary (and most immature!) reaction that praise for a story by a 'known' name was worthy of comment, and equal (or more ) praise,just as carefully (if not so skilfully) considered, for the same story by an unknown, wasn't. However, I confess I would probably have reacted just the same way! The other day, when Terry Pratchett wrote to me.. hang on, that was just a dream... too much wine... oh my god, is that a fat sardine I see before my hand?

Fat Sardine
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:56 am:   

Steve, you are just bitter because you can't write reviews in as mean a hand as a certain Iberian journalist....

Now where did that elephant get to?

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:10 am:   

Hi Steve,

No, I was just trying to put myself in the place of a mentally challenged young lady possessed by demons and see what it felt like. It was basically a sort of experiment with voice. At the time I was conceptualizing like that: POV of homosexual sadist in hell; of a beaten hungry dog; an angry tree etc. . . . Though most of them were just ideas without getting written.

steve r
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:10 pm:   

Fat Sardine, Iberian 'journalists' are not to be mentioned in civilised company!!
Go cat, go get him!

Brendan, if you'd wanted a mentally-challenged old bloke possessed by demons instead of young lady, I could have helped you...

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   

Steve,

Yeah, well for me the mentally-challenged part was not a far stretch either. :-)

Senor Journalisto
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:43 am:   

Ah, Steve... sorry, Mr Redwood. Just thought I'd pop by with my tail between my legs and my head low at my chest to repent my sins. Not only have I converted to Catholicism, I have also bothered to actually read past page seven of your book, something I failed to do before reviewing it. Wanted to let all these fine chaps know that Fisher of Devils, though those cads at the BFS droppped it from the final final shortlist for best novel (and I admit, my review may have held some sway with regards to this decision), it is still a bally good read and one of the most heart-rending depictions of love, the universe and everything I have yet come across. In fact, it was upon finishing the novel I discovered the true beauty in my heart and yours, and turned to the Almighty, who in his most special wisdom has chosen to forgive me my misguided sins.

N.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:23 am:   

OK, now you folks is just getting silly. :-)

JK

steve r
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:13 pm:   

Yep, that's what happens to the newly converted!

Brendan, I read (for third time) last night: I guessed, and still assume, the references to water and fire referred to the deaths of 'witches'?

Brendan
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 01:37 pm:   

Steve,

Maybe so. I am not sure! For that sort of story I usually just sort of close my eyes and let my fingers do the walking. I mean, aside from the actual excorcism part, which was taken more or less from an excorcism manual, the rest was pure inspiration....Or whatever you want to call it! Obviously we all have tons of subconscious baggage back in our brains to work off of - so I figure we are able to key in to all sorts of other personalities if we open ourselves up to it....But I better stop....I might start to sound newagey in a minute.

Mike S.
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 09:28 am:   

Hey John,

I found a good review of #6 on SFSite by Matthew Cheney:
http://www.sfsite.com/08b/ev182.htm

"The eleven stories and three poems in this issue offer a wide variety of subjects and styles -- everything from fairly traditional fantasy to bizarre science fiction to pieces that wend their way between a number of different genre boundaries. A few of these works are likely to be some of the best stories of the year."

Mike "perplexing ... but beautifully so" S.

neil a
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 05:36 am:   

Now you gotta be happy with that, John.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:19 am:   

Yeah, I just read that today. Back in the states after a week in London, so I'm catching up on e-mail and various things. Very cool.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   

In the Paul Di Filippo's January Asimov's On Books column (the first non-Gardner issue):

Issue #6 of Electric Velocipede (saddle-stapled, $4.00, 44 pages, ISSN unavailable), under the capabal hands of editor John Klima, seems to me to be the strongest one yet. Featuring over a dozen stories and poems by such well-known names as Liz Williams, Stepan Chapman, and William Shunn, the magazine offers a variety of material, ranging from absurdist fables like Jay Lake's "The Git, the Dog, the Fish, and the Gray" to urban fantasy like "Bob's Witch" by Jodee Rubins. Handsomely designed, this zine is a fine example of the valuable niche in fostering short-story talent that the small presses continue to fill.

Nice, eh?

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 06:29 am:   

Whoa. Dude. To think I've been a subscriber from ish 1. (And as part of the office move, I found my copy of issue #3, so I can finally complete my EV reading. I've felt so incomplete lo these many months.)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 08:39 am:   

Cool. Issue #3 is ultra rare (I was only able to make about 125 copies of it) at one point I didn't have any copies of it, but I've been able to get some since then.

JK

Ben Payne
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 03:33 pm:   

Hi John,

I've just ordered my first copy of the mag and look forward to reading it.

I agree that often there isn't enough feedback for small press stuff (some might say deafening silence)... personally I love reading all the small reviewers (as opposed to locus et al.. not that i dislike them) because for me reading reviews isn't about finding a godlike arbiter of taste but rather finding that mysterious reviewer who exists somewhere out there who has taste that is similar to mine... maybe some day:-)

I can't comment on the mag yet obviously, other than that my purchase (as is so often the case with me) was spurred by the seriously cool title! Who could resist a magazine called Electric Velocipede... really?...

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 05:05 am:   

Hey Ben:

Which issue did you order? They're all fun, but the earlier issues are more inconsistent in tone than the later issues. Let me know what you think of it.

JK

ben payne
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:03 pm:   

Will do, John.

I ordered the latest issue, being a sucker for all things new and (metaphorically)shiny...

cheers

Ben

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   

Nothing like a shiny new electric velocipede!

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register