RSS and the XML Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » RSS and the XML « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:04 am:   

OK, so people are jumping on the RSS and XML bandwagon. And by people, I mean places like Yahoo and Blogger where now your blogs and Yahoo! Groups have RSS/XML feeds. While I work in computing, I program in an old language and this new stuff boondoggles me. Anyone able to explain to me how I could exploit the uses of these new technologies? (especially in the case of my Blog which I update fairly regularly...)

Here's some links if people want to see what's being generated automatically for me. These should update with any new posts from me.

http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/evzine/rss

http://evzine.blogspot.com/atom.xml

So, anyone able to help? Any reference material worth getting?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:49 pm:   

OK, I downloaded a reader, and I have to say this RSS/XML thing is pretty damn cool. Now if only all the stuff I read on the net had a feed! Then I wouldn't have to go to any websites ever!

I also need to learn how to code this stuff manually so that I can use it on my own rather than relying on someone else to get it right for me.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

So, anyone have any good advice for learning XML and RSS. I want to learn how to script my main website into an RSS feed, but I want to automate it, rather than code it every time I make a change.

Anyone have any advice of where I can go look?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 07:13 am:   

BTW, just to update the original topic here, I've been using SharpReader for a few months now, and I love it. I don't know what I did before I had it. It's allowed me to grab a bunch of library related sites to get insights into my future profession, and to keep up with SF (Emerald City, Slush God, VanderMeer, Bondgirl, etc.). Very helpful. I also have the main ESPN and ESPN NFL in my RSS aggregator so I don't have to check ESPN for updates, I get notified if the page changes. It's very cool. There are a lot of practical applications for this beyond getting up-to-date information; you could receive notice of due/overdue library books, video rentals; notice of when your favorite band is coming to town; notice of when a new book is coming out; notice of when your phone bill is due, etc.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register