Noreascon Four Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Noreascon Four « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:54 am:   

Hey, just a note out to those who are potentially going to Noreascon this summer. I'll be there for the weekend, but not as an official member of the con. Much like how I did World Fantasy last year, but I'll be in Boston for the full weekend. But, just like World Fantasy, I would like to try and plan a meal with some folks while I'm there.

I'm planning on taking a trip to neearby Wellesley to eat at Ming Tsai's restaurant Blue Ginger. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of the place, but I want to try it all the same. It's pricy ($40 and up per person) so make plans accordingly. Here's a CitySearch link:

http://boston.citysearch.com/profile/4804175?cslink=search_name_noncust&ulink=se arch__searchslot1_520__0_profile_2_1

Let me know if you want to try it. If the response is mixed, I'll go here with my wife (it's supposed to be good for romantic meals!) and we can all meet up somewhere closer to the con.

Suggestions are welcome.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:12 am:   

BTW, you can go vote for Hugos online as long as you are at least a supporting member of this year's Worldcon. I usually become a supporting member when I vote for the upcoming locations, this way I can maintain my voting rights. Some good people on the ballot: Cheryl Morgan and Emerald City (in separate categories), Jeff Ford (Empire of Ice Cream), THACKERY LAMBSHEAD GUIDE..., Jay Lake, Tim Pratt, etc. I tried to vote earlier today, and it was broken. When I e-mailed them, I was the first person to try and cast an online ballot who informed them it was not working. It was unclear if I was actually the first voter or not, but nonetheless.

They claim it's working now. I'm going to vote soon.

JK

Sharon Woods
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 07:44 am:   

I know you have already conceeded hearing mixed reviews for Blue Ginger, but I can't help feeding the fire. I've been there for lunch (a nice alternative, price-wise, to dinner) and found it unremarkable considering the price.

If you want to spend that sort of money in Boston area, there's some real neat places like Oleanna's or The Helmund which are a far more unique experience. (Though the service at Oleanna's probably would make a New Yorker cringe.)

But, I also admit downtown Wellesley is a lovely place to visit.

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   

Do you ever eat at Joe's Shanghai (Chinatown or Queens locations - not Midtown) John?

I don't think you will find better Chinese (at least Shaghai style) food anywhere.

Of course it depends on what you order.

The crab dumplings are the specialty.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   

When I'm in the city, I hardly get out of my building on 46th & 6th. There is a John's Shanghai a half block from here that I like, but that's beside the point.

I am planning on going to Blue Ginger this Summer when I head up towards Boston at the time of Worldcon. If people want to come with me, let me know. However, since it's not near the convention, it will probably be difficult to get to unless there are a number of cars.

If someone has a suggestion of somewhere close to the convention (or even in the convention) that a bunch of us could go to/meet up at/etc. I am open to suggestions. I will not be in the Boston area the entire length of the convention. I will most likely be arriving early-ish on Saturday morning and leaving late-ish on Sunday night. Potentially leaving early-early-ish on Monday.

Just a note out to those who will be there. If we don't set up something official, I'll look for you at the bar.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 06:10 am:   

Sorry if that came across unduly cranky. Been rough here at work this week. Like pulling up a broken floor tile only to find rotten wood underneath, and beneath that, some sort of infestation, etc. Glad to arrive at Friday.

Sharon, any good places near the convention where a big group of people could go? (or am I mistaken in asking you question about Boston?)

JK

Brendan
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 09:11 am:   

No, it didn't come off as cranky.

Have a good weekend!

Sharon Woods
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 06:01 pm:   

Didn't come off as cranky to me, either.

There's a huge number of places near the convention - it depends on how fancy you want to get. There's everything from pubs to celebrity-chef places like Hammersley's Bistro.

A good big-crowd pleaser was a place called Cottonwood Cafe - reasonably priced, consistent good food and excellent (so I'm told) marqueritas. However, I honestly don't know if it is still there. There were two of them, and the one in Cambridge closed a couple of years ago. I'm afraid I'm more of a Cambridge side of the river Bostonian, so I haven't eaten in that area for a long time.

For the record - you can take the T to Wellesley for Blue Ginger. A long ride, but possible.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:00 am:   

Hey, anyone coming from Canada want to help me out with my Jones-ing for some Canadian foodstuffs? Let me know. There are chocolates and chips and such that are not available in the US and while I can buy them online, the shipping costs make me weep.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   

OK, so either no one from Canada is coming to Worldcon this year, or no one from Canada reads my sectino of the Night Shade Boards, or no one from Canada wants to help me out. Granted, this is a weird request.

But I'll mention it again. If anyone from Canada is coming to Worldcon, there are some Canadian only foods that I have had a yearning for:

Coffee Crisp candy bars (French Vanilla, and there's apparently a caramel one out?)
Ruffles All-dressed chips
Second Cup Caramelo coffee

Can anyone help me? I'll pay for the stuff, or trade you books, or something.

JK

Mike Lewis
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:43 am:   

John,

I'm going to be at Noreascon and would love to meet up - always like to meet editors who've published my stuff.

I'm coming over from the UK if there's any English foodstuffs you'd like :-)

Mike

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:52 am:   

It's actually easier to get UK foodstuffs than Canadian foodstuffs since most of the Canadian food is produced by North American companies who have distinct branches (and food selection) for Canada and the U.S. For example, Lay's has flavors of potato chips that are only for the US and other that are only for Canada. Why? Don't know. I called Lay's and they said marketing research. I suspect that their marketing isn't very good if they think Americans wouldn't like bacon-flavored chips.

Plus, I hope to be in London at the end of August (pre-Noreascon) so I should be able to sate my desire for UK foods then.

I'll only be at Noreascon for a long weekend, so we'll have to do our best to meet up.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:49 am:   

Hmmm. Just looking at things, and it seems that Worldcon is right on top of a planned trip to London (yay but $$$) and the start of grad school ($$$$$) and making issue #7 ($$) and when I add up all those dollar signs I get...well I get $$$$$$$$$$...which is a lot. I'll have to assess this trip as it draws nearer. I don't have an attending membership, so I won't be losing anything should I not be able to go, but all the same...I'll have to see what my budget allows.

I want to go. How about five reasons to go from the peanut gallery? (mmmmm...peanuts)

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:20 am:   

OK, reason #1 Jay Caselberg

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 04:20 pm:   

John, I'm not coming to WorldCon, but my zine is willing to pay in Canadian foodstuffs. :-)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   

Jamie:

Very intriguing. VERY intriguing.

Reason #2: Chowdah

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 07:20 pm:   

Reason #3: "Mrs. Janokowski Hits One Out of the Park" by William Shunn (issue #4, Spring 2003) and "Nature's Way" by James Hartley [Jay Caselberg] (issue #5, Fall 2003) both made the Honorable Mention list in the Year's Best Science Fiction, 21st Annual Edition.

http://members.aol.com/evzine/word.html

Pretty cool, eh? One story from each. (I was rushed when I looked through it so I apologize if I overlooked someone)

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   

Reason #4: Paul Revere (although I suspect he did not mean Caselberg, Williams, et al; but still, sound the alarm! Is that three if by air?)

Minz
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:25 pm:   

I've just learned that I'm to be moderated by Msr. Caselberg at Nor'eascon. Dunno how I feel about that. (I imagine I'll feel cheap and tawdry afterward, but the buildup . . . surprisingly titillating.)

John Klima
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   

Hey everyone! Who wants to get together at the (a?) bar at Noreascon on Saturday Sept 4 around 9PM? I'm not sure how much more time I'll be at the con. Stop by for drinks and much hilarity. There'll also be copies of issue #7 (of which, Minz needs to receive his copy before any else, it's a long-standing tradition).

JK

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:14 pm:   

John - Isn't that, like, the middle of the Hugo ceremony? And, which bar? - Jonathan

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:21 am:   

Yeah that is during the Hugos. OK, how about after the Hugos? I don't know the hotel etc. since I'm not a member of the convention so I haven't bother looking anything up yet. Someone decide where, and I'll show up.

JK

ispy
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:23 am:   

6:30am
Chinatown
Wear a red carnation

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:16 am:   

Reason #5: It's better than working!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:19 pm:   

Hey, if you aren't going to the Hugos (like me) you could do worse than showing up at the launch for Mssr. Caselberg's second novel, METAL SKY, which is taking place curing the Hugo awards. I'm sure if we prod the man in the right way he'll give us more details. Or perhaps we need some pink drinks to ply him....

BTW, anyone coming from England that finds it in their heart to bring some Walkers Sensations Roast Chicken crisps...let's just say I would forever be in their debt.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:24 pm:   

In case you're wondering, I was partial to the Sweet Thai Chile crisps.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register