Travel (Overseas) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Travel (Overseas) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:18 am:   

Hey, does anyone have any good tips on how to find good (not scary priced) airline tickets to London? Everything I'm finding right now is around $700 a ticket. Or is that the price I'm going to pay? Any suggestions would be welcome.

JK

PS-I'm looking at going this Summer, August to be specific. Nothing definite yet, but I wanted to get an idea of what I was looking at for prices before I made my plans.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

I just booked a ticket for NY from Milan for about 700, but it could have been cheaper. My wife however wanted to fly on Swiss because she thinks it is safer. Alitalia would have been about 550. There was a ticket for 400 euros on British Air from Milan stopping in London, so I would assume london is cheaper. Basically the deal is this: If you book your ticket way in advance it usually costs more. If you wait you will probably get a special. The only risk there is that you might not find anything. If you are somewhat flexible with dates though, chances are you will. . . . A friend of mine who lives in NY wants to come out and visit in July or August. I am looking around for him, so if I see anything I will let you know.... (Generally though, NY London is the cheapest route. In NY there are always a bunch of Indian travel agents who sell cheap tickets...Space Tour and Travel being one I once bought a ticket from.) (And, yes, if you are in Switzerland/Italy look me up!)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:00 pm:   

I don't know that we will get to the mainland or not (look at me, making plans for a trip I'm not sure I'm taking) but if that happens, I will give you advance warning.

Glad that someone responded here. Started to get worried that was shooting random thoughts into the ether. :-)

JK

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:31 pm:   

My family's got a LOT of frequent flyer miles, but I doubt my father'd let me redeem 'em in your name.

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:16 am:   

Here is a deal for you John:

New York to London, 373 dollars round trip.

Scandanavian Airlines. Availability June 1st to June 15th.

For more flexible dates try Kuwait airlines. They ask 451 (not sure if this is with taxes), but they seem to have plenty of availability.

Brendan
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:18 am:   

A few more airlines that should have good prices:

Icelandair

British Midland Airways

Air India

Neil Ayres
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:07 am:   

I'm not sure these will beat Brendan's price, John, but try ebookers.com and expedia.co.uk it depends where you're flying from

These companies will be cheaper than airlines as they buy tickets in bulk and then resell them.

Gatwick, Heathrow and Luton are all easy enough to get to London from, but Gatwick and Luton aren't actually in London. Gatwick's in West Sussexc and Luton's in Bedfordshire.

Heathrow's closer, but the trains from there aren't as fast.

I live about ten minutes drive from Gatwick. The airport's website URL is http://www.baa.com/main/airports/gatwick/

If you're looking to stay in London, you probably won't need a car, but if you do want to hire one, maybe try europcar or easycar.

Have you been to London before?

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:11 am:   

Cool! Thanks much. We are thinking of travelling in August, so we have some time. We have other things to get ready before we can make the trip (like, um, get passports...) but we're hoping that it can happen. The better prepared we are the better luck we'll have when it happens.

JK

Minz
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:30 am:   

John:

You definitely want to wait and see, because the prices will probably drop (4-8 weeks before the trip are usually the best). British Airways and Virgin Atlantic often run specials out of NYC. You shouldn't be paying more than $350, and if you're lucky, it'll be under $250 (though that may not be true in Summer, i.e. peak season). And Brendan's right in that you can get great deals for London through travel agents, though they're usually package deals. You can also find an occasional special on the airlines individual website, especially Virgin Atlantic but also British Airways.

Get me talkin about London when we come over this weekend.

Jack Haringa
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:39 am:   

Not much to add over Minz's recommendation that you wait a bit before booking, except for this website: http://www.independenttraveler.com/bargainbox/ ,which combs the 'net for deals offered by individual airlines and some travel brokers. $700 sounds awfully steep for NY-London at any time of the year, so you should definitely hold out until closer to your preferred departure date.

~Jack~

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:10 pm:   

Just booked a flight/hotel to London August 11 - 18. We both finally got our passports and find a decent deal on flight + hotel packages. Very excited. Now I need to figure out how to get to JFK etc.

Anyone in London going to be around?

JK

Jim and Selena
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:07 pm:   

No, this city will be deserted when you get here . . . except for the zombies!!!

EDatlow
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:54 pm:   

John,
Hve fun. I loooove London. But yeah, watch out for the zombies!

rwexler
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   

Hey John, sounds like a fun trip. Wish I could recommend some places but it's been too long since I've been there.

I've always liked the Good Beer Guide:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/158017101X/qid=1091042484/sr=1-2/r ef=sr_1_2/102-9029064-8194563?v=glance&s=books

Keeps you from ending up in generic pubs serving the British equivalent of Budweiser.

Robert

Neil
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:58 am:   

John, where abouts are you staying?

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:11 am:   

We're going to be staying near Regents Park. I haven't given this trip any thought. I need to spend some time getting myself organized so I have a hope of seeing what I want to see.

JK

Neil
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:15 am:   

I recommend the British Library, which is in St Pancras, just up the road from where I work in Kings Cross. Entry to the exhibits is also free.

http://www.bl.uk

Other than that, maybe try getting down to the coast for the day. There are fast(ish--this is British public transport we're talking about here) trains direct from London Victoria to Brighton.

Neil
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:18 am:   

I recommend the British Library, which is in St Pancras, just up the road from where I work in Kings Cross. Entry to the exhibits is also free.

http://www.bl.uk

Other than that, maybe try getting down to the coast for the day. There are fast(ish--this is British public transport we're talking about here) trains direct from London Victoria to Brighton.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:27 am:   

Whew! Less than a week to go. We haven't planned much (meaning purcahsed advanced tickets) since we want to see what the weather's doing before we go be groundlings at the Globe (which might be fun in the rain), etc. Very excited to go. I need the break from work.

Some good recs here, anything else people feel we shouldn't miss? We plan on seeing all the traditional tourist things: Buckingham (while the Queen is in Scotland it's available for tours), Westminster, changing of the guard, Harrod's, etc.

JK

neil a
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:46 am:   

It's raining this morning, John, but very humid. I'm sure you'll have good weather here.

I'd definitely suggest getting out of London and into the countryside for at least a day. Victoria's a good place to head out from. The National Trust have lots of properties with literary links: Kipling, Conrad, etc.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

There are some nice parks in London though: Hyde Park, Battersea, Regents Park, etc. if you don't manage it.

St Paul's is certainly worth a look, and the Tower of London. The London Eye.

And, a little less touristy: Canary Wharf, West India Quay, Greenwich, all of interest. You can get a Docklands Light Railway from the Tower (Tower Gateway) to Canary Wharf.

Maybe some London markets: Chapel Market in Angel Islington, Roman Road and Brick Lane in East London, Petticoat Lane, etc.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/pmj/photos/london/f236-13.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/6cve9

http://www.ba-londoneye.com

http://www.arundelcastle.org

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 06:42 am:   

I hope we can get out into the countryside, but there's so much in London my wife wants to see...we'll have to play it by ear. Getting excited and nervous now...too much work to get done and not enough time before I go....

JK

EDatlow
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:35 pm:   

See if you can take Judith Clute's Jack the Ripper tour of London. It's one evening during the week--I forget which night. She's with London Walks, I believe.

Have fun! It'll be great.

EDatlow
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:39 pm:   

The National Portrait Gallery is brilliant. The first time I went I was totally shocked as the portraits were from all periods and in all styles. I expected it to be stodgy--it isn't.

I've walked along the Thames during low tide and picked up old pottery shards and pieces of Victorian pipes, and Victorian nails and the like. If you're into that, it's a lot of fun.

Do you want to get in touch with Pat Cadigan, Paul McAuley, Kim Newman, or anyone else? If so, email me and I'll give you their email addresses and whatever other contact info I have for them.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:00 am:   

That's great about the Jack the Ripper tour. That's something we wanted to try and do, but there are so many people purporting to give a tour, we weren't sure how to pick.

I'd love to get in touch with Pat (I don't know Paul and Kim).

Thanks!

JK

EDatlow
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:29 am:   

I think Judith's tour is Wed or Thursday evening. I can see if I can get a response about the actual dates and times for hers before you leave.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

OK, if you can that would be great. We don't arrive until Thursday morning, and we leave the following Wednesday, so it could be tough for us to go.

Thanks! :-)

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:02 pm:   

Had a blast in London. Really needed some time off. My apologies to everyone who was there that I did not get a chance to run into. If I get inspired I will do a quick write-up of what I did there.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   

Goddamn American Coca-Cola and it's corn syrup! I got used to Coke again that's made with sugar and this stuff tastes like crap!!!!!!!!!

JK

Minz
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:11 pm:   

Let me hear you TESTIFY!!!! It's a sin, and completely a byproduct of unfair American trade practices, through both subsidies and import tax on sugar. No reason it couldn't be cheaper to make the good stuff. Grrrrrr.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:18 pm:   

Not to mention that the UK (and Canada) beats the US's pants off when it comes to chip (that's crisps to you lot) flavor variety. Prawn cocktail, roast beef, lamb w/mint, roasted chicken, feta cheese, tomato & basil, greek kebabs, cheese and onions, and on and on! C'mon! We're so damn fat and we don't even have all the good flavors!!!!!! Sheesh! What's up with that? Check out this site for what I'm talking about:

http://walkers.corpex.com/cr15p5/productshome.asp

You can't tell me Americans wouldn't eat this stuff.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:23 pm:   

Sure, the Marmite Yeast Extract probably wouldn't be a favorite here, but I think the rest are fine. We can do better than sour cream and cheddar....

On a different note, loved that in Heathrow's duty-free area you can sample liquor to your heart's content. Tried a delicious Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Single Malt that was delicious. I decided against picking it up (I think I was still calculating how much the trip had cost and didn't want to add to it) and I'll most likely regret this decision.

JK

EDatlow
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 05:55 pm:   

Oh ick, John. Who would want flavored crisps!!! I love my potato chips with salt and that's IT--don't mess with a good thing!

Glad you had a good time.

I didn't remember sampling of the single malts at Heathrow--usually there is a promotion of one type.
The Glenmorangie sounds excellent.

Also, sorry I couldn't get you in touch with Judith in time for her Jack the Ripper tour. She did a special one the week before for Sydney Duncan's class trip that she and Andy were on.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 05:50 am:   

> Oh ick, John. Who would want flavored crisps!!! I love my potato chips with salt and that's IT--don't mess with a good thing!

Well that answers my question, eh? :-) To be fair, my favorite potato chips are the ones the local Amish people make and sell at the Farmer's Market down the road from where I live. And they only make salted chips, no flavors.

No problems about the Ripper tour; we went on one with Donald Rumbelow, the guy who helped Johnny Depp prep for his role in FROM HELL.

London was cool, I needed the break.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register