Surveys Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Surveys « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:20 am:   

Hello fans of Electric Velocipede, America's #1 source of John Klima edited speculative fiction! I've started this thread as a place to put out some questions and hopefully get some answers.

First question, would it be worth my time to put out an electronic (PDF) version of the zine?

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

Will
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:17 am:   

I was thinking of doing this w/ Trunk Stories for overseas sales. Who wants to pay $3 in shipping for a $4 magazine?

I guess in theory some unscrupulous individual could forward it to everyone in the known universe, but would that even be a bad thing?

Some of your authors might get touchy about this so you definitely want an agreement upfront.

Christina Sng
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:55 pm:   

John: I think the HTML version is fine already. Or is the PDF to replace it? Like Will said, it would be easy to just forward it to everyone. At least on the site you can track how many people view the page. I like it the way it is. :-)

Will: How much does surface shipping cost for Trunk Stories? That might be a cheaper option. As an overseas buyer, I don't mind the wait.

Cheers,
Christina

John Klima
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:06 am:   

Yeah, it's certainly something I need to investigate more. My thought behind a PDF version would be something additional to what I do. If I knew more about the technology (or if I get a chance to sit down and learn more) I could even consider a palm-readable version, which would be cool. Just looking to see if there was a way I could entice more people into seeing the zine. I'd certainly have to work out some sort of agreement with the authors, but I suspect that most of them wouldn't mind more people getting a chance to see their work in Electric Velocipede.

I've never investigated surface mailing for overseas people; the wait of four to six weeks just seems excessive to me, but since I'm not a monthly publication, it may be worth it....

All the same, my one Scandinavian subscriber appreciates the speed with which he gets issues so I'm happy to please!

JK

Jetse
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:30 am:   

John, this Dutch subscriber appreciates your speedy delivery as well.

A PDF issue wouldn't work for me personally since I prefer paper, and--like Christina--I don't mind the (very minimal) wait.

Will
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   

I think an overseas shipment cost me like 3.23 the other day (regular air letter). I charge a flat buck for shipping so I was eating a bit but I don't have enough overseas customers to care. I would rather get it into someone hands promptly--and lose a buck or two--rather than have a reader forget about the mag/move/lose the use of their frontal lobe before it arrives. If I develop a big fan base in the Netherlands or something I might change my tune.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:15 am:   

OK, so at the moment I think electronic editions of the zine are out of the question as a general matter of course. I may use electronic versions (i.e. PDFs) to get the word out to reviewers; as long as the reviewers don't mind. Of course, this would only be if they agreed. I think Will has a good point in that I should make sure my writers don't mind before I go sending electronic copies everywhere. All the same, I think they mostly would feel that copies getting out to people only expands on the number of people to see their fiction. I can't imagine someone is submitting stuff to me because they want as few people as possible to see their work...but you never know.

JK

Christina Sng
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:09 am:   

I think sending the PDF version to reviewers is an excellent idea. You preserve the formatting of the magazine and reviewers get to appreciate the magazine as it is in print.

For me, I prefer reading the HTML version as opposed to a PDF because it is fast to load and I can print out the page if I want to read it offline. But for the whole experience of reading it in magazine format is reserved for those with the print version.

Every journey into EV has been a nostalgic return to an older time. Perhaps it is how the magazine is laid out, the images used, the font type, the uneven edges, as well as the larger format, or simply the heady combination of all the elements. The stories feel richer and the poems more vivid when I read them holding up the print version in my hand as opposed to the online version.

As for the surface shipping, I do agree many people would prefer not to wait. I do, because of my weaker dollar (almost half of a USD, half of a pound, and three times smaller than the Euro). An option can be given, perhaps.

Cheers,
Christina

John Klima
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:47 am:   

The PDF is something that could be used to send copies of the zine to awards judges and year's best compilations, if I learn about them last minute and I won't have time to mail them a copy. Or if an issue goes out of print but I want the stories to be considered for an award or for a year's best....

Thanks for all the thoughts folks!

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register