Issue #7 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Issue #7 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 08:29 am:   

OK, issue #6 is just days away from going to the printer, so I figured it was time to start talking about issue #7, out this Fall. As I accept stories, I try to plan how they will fit into future issues. After I had accepted six stories for issue #7, from my figuring, the issue was full. Now, this doesn't stop me from accepting more work, it just makes it more difficult to determine when the stuff is coming out.

This last weekend, however, when I was going over my figurings, I noticed that I was using 400 words per page as my word count for the final issue. In reality I get about 800 words per page. So, the six stories I accepted that I thought were going to fill up the issue really only makes up about half the issue. Good news for those of you who recently got an acceptance letter/e-mail. Also good news for prospective writers, I have about 5 pages (4,000 words) of space available for issue #7.

I still have some submissions in my 'to read' pile, and some in my 're-read' pile, so I may already have in my hands something that will fit that space. But, there is the chance that none of it will work (and some of it is from people who are already appearing in issue #6 and I don't think I'd double up appearances yet) so you might just send me the story I am looking for.

What's in the issue? Well, I can safely say that there are stories from Liz Williams, Steven Nagy, Christopher Rowe, Sharon Woods, Kay Sexton, and Chris Roberson (see, more female writers!). There are others, but my notes are at home.

Also will have ad space in this issue. There is currently one and a half pages devoted to ad space for this issue. Add yourself to the list. That 5 pages could be advertising as well as stories depending on how gets what to me!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:49 am:   

Here's the ToC as they stand in the beginning of June. The issue won't come out until October, although since I have its contents picked and in my possession (a column or two notwithstanding), I may push to get it ready for Worldcon...we'll see.

Here it is:

FICTION:

Cohen, Andrew - Dark Bloom
Holton, Ren (Kay Sexton) - Making the Butter Come (title may change...)
Lass, Gene P. - Formidolosus: Episode 4
Nagy, Steven - The Revelation of St. Elvis the Impersonator
Robeson, Chris - In the Frozen City
Rowe, Christopher - Whether to Go Through
Slaughter, Perry - Optical Allusions
Stuart, Kiel - On the Language of Alligator Twins
Williams, Liz - The Marsella
Woods, Sharon E. - Wager

POETRY:

Brandt, Jonathan - Untitled Poem (he doesn't know he needs to write it)
Grey, John - Deth of Napoleon
Muslin, Kristine Ong - Troll City

NONFICTION:

Braun, Bill - Attic Space (I can't find his e-mail telling what this one is about...)

This is all subject to change, but this is what I have right now.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:27 am:   

Mr. Brandt got his poem to me, so now we're just finalizing everything. Looks great! I recently received artwork from the multi-talented Mr. Mark Rich, so the issue is more than just words. It's not too long before I will have this issue finished and I can begin to think about the next one. Of course, once this issue is done, it's time to focus on school and other things, so it won't be until December that I'll focus on issue #8 (is it really that many?).

There is advertising space available for this issue, 1 full-page ad, and 2 half-page ads. If you're interested, please e-mail me first:

evzine [at] aol.com

I don't want four people buying full-page ads at the same time and not having space for it....

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:01 am:   

Updated my links page:

http://www.electricvelocipede.com/links2.html

Let me know if I've left anyone off!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   

AAAIIIEEE!!! I have about a week to finish this issue! Holy crap!!!!!!!!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:54 pm:   

I still have one full-page ad available in issue #7; a bargain at $10. Please e-mail me if you are interested.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   

Just a quick update:

The story "Formidolosus: Episode 4" by Gene P. Lass will not be appearing in this issue. In its place, Mark Rich provides a wonderful tale "A Good Place to Be."

The issue is all full and all done (I made a bio for you Mr. Rowe...I used your Journalscape info) and will be mailed to the printer tomorrow. I will be picking it up the first Saturday in September on my way to Boston for two days at Worldcon. Subscriber and contributor (for those not at the convention) copies will be mailed out the following weekend.

Thanks for all the support.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:00 am:   

Picked up copies of issue #7 while at Worldcon. It looks great! They will be getting in the mail soon.

JK

Steve Nagy
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:14 am:   

John:

Dropped a note on another board, but I'm not sure if you'll see it there, so I'm repeating it here ...

It was a pleasure to meet you on Saturday. It's always nice to put faces with names.

Looking forward to copies of the issue. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet again on Sunday and talk.

Steve

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:03 pm:   

Website has been updated. All new info for the new issue.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   

Copies of issue #7 were put in the mail over the weekend. Also, all other orders that have been placed recently were put in the mail. If you do not see your copies by the end of the month (yes, I'm asking for some patience, I do not control the US mail...yet) please let me know. I'm sending out the issues a little differently than the last two times so I want to know how they arrive.

Things will be quiet here as I get further into the depths of graduate school. Actually, this week and next week are hellish, and then I have a small respite for a week, so maybe I'll try to squeeze in some zine work (am I even a zine anymore?).

Rest assured, any orders placed will go out the following Saturday. I need to keep checking my PO Box, so I'll be taking issues to be shipped with me to the post office.

Let me know what you think of this issue when you get it!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 08:36 pm:   

Got my copy yesterday, and it looks way impressive. Will be diving in soon.

Jetse
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 04:51 am:   

Got my copy yesterday, as well (across the pond).

Quickly read the Liz Williams and the Steve Nagy. "St. Elvis the Impersonator" was OK, but liked "The Marsella", with its surreal images of Barcelona a lot better.

Hope I have time for the rest over the weekend.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 06:29 am:   

Cool! Glad to see that the issue is making it's way around the world. Hope there's more you like in the issue, Jetse!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:53 am:   

Just to remind people that they can get issues from the following places you may already shop (save on shipping!):

Clarksworld Books
[http://www.clarksworldbooks.com]

Shocklines
[http://www.shocklines.com]

Project Pulp
[http://www.projectpulp.com]

Quimby's (if you live in the Chicago area)
[http://www.quimbys.com]

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 11:03 am:   

That's Clarkesworld Books [http://www.clarkesworldbooks.com] with an 'e' in 'Clarke'.

I am so stupid.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:25 pm:   

Hey Jason:

Did your issue come through ok? I decided to not envelope my domestic issues and was curious how they survived the trip.

JK

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:15 am:   

Yeah, it came through in great condition. I was slightly puzzled that the pages were taped only to about half of the book instead of cover to cover, but that was it.

John Klima
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean the little circular tab? That was supposed to just on the front and back covers. I think this color cover stock is a little slicker than standard cover stock, and the sticker is having trouble staying on.

JK

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:48 pm:   

The sticker was connected to the back cover, and to someplace near the middle of the zine, so that half the pages flopped about loose. But they weren't the worse for wear, so I didn't worry about it. Just struck me as a bit strange.

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

Hmm, well either the sticker restuck itself or someone at the post office stuck it together. It should've been on front and back cover, but since it arrived in decent shape, I will not worry about it. I'll have to figure something out for future shipments.

JK

Steve Nagy
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 07:52 am:   

Issues came thorugh fine here, John. Arrived on Friday. Look really good. Didn't notice any sticker, however.

Steve

John Klima
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

Since you got multiple issues, Steve, yours were put in an envelope and therefore no need to have a sticker to hold the zine together. The subscriber copies were sent out without envelopes (other than overseas which require an envelope) and had a round, perforated sticker that was supposed to hold the pages together. Glad you got your copies Steve!

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register