Worst Actor/Actress Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Worst Actor/Actress « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:16 am:   

OK, I'm taking a survey (purposes to be revealed later, but it's not as exciting as the survey itself so...) of who people think of as the worst actor/actress ever. I know some people dislike Tom Hanks or Nicole Kidman or Nick Cage or whomever. I'm looking for choices that people would unilaterally agree upon as bad actors. It can even be campy actors, like Shatner.

I'm placing votes for:

Most any athlete (I know there are exceptions, but not many)

Steve Gutenberg
Woody Harrelson
Nick Cage (sorry, I can't stand him)
Adam Sandler

Mariah Carey
Cindy Crawford
Cameron Diaz

That's what I got off the top of my head. What do you all think? (Lucius, you can abstain because I think if you try to answer this question you'll take too much time away from your writing... :-))

JK

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:31 am:   

Worst actress is probably Denise Richards. Worst actor . . . maybe that guy from Timeline?

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:43 am:   

Paul Walker?

JK

Robert Devereux
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:49 am:   

For actors, definitely Paul Walker. He's the only actor I've seen where I think "Keanu Reeves could play this role more convincingly".

Actress...I'm not sure. I can't think of any I've seen who are equally unconvincing (although I haven't seen Miriah Carey's acting). I'll have to think on this.

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 04:58 pm:   

Quentin Tarantino. Hands down.

ben peek
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:59 am:   

i just want to second that quentin tarantino vote.

JR
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:29 pm:   

John Travolta (except Pulp Fiction) (close-up he resembles Chewbacca)

Tom Cruise (except Magnolia) Jerry MacGuire was awful, don't care what anyone says.

Cameron Diaz (The Mask was the highpoint of her career, IMO)

Denise Richards (Nuclear Scientist Christmas Jones...hahahahahahah!)

Ashton Kutcher (Dude, where's my talent?)

JR

John Klima
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

Good picks people. Scary stuff. I have to admit, Denise Richards must have been so bad that I completely forgot about her. Although, I think Elizabeth Berkley should be added to our list, too. I watched PULP FICTION a few months ago, and had trouble maintaining my interest. But, the movie was already in process, so I think that may have led to my trouble. Yeah, I hate Cruise, too. I'm having trouble coming up with a guy who always is bad though. Someone like Denise Richards who's never had a good role. Someone who makes you say: "How does that guy keep getting movie roles?"

What you all think?

JK

LeslieWhat
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 08:32 pm:   

John, not to disuade you, and you have a fine list started, but did you see "Punch-Drunk Love"? I couldn't talk anyone into going because it starred Adam Sandler, but man, was he good. I had no idea he could act before that film.

This might be veering too much into bad movies, but I'd like to nominate Burt Lancaster in "Valdez is Coming"

JR
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:12 am:   

I kinda thought Sandler in Punch Drunk Love was pretty much just like his comedy parts except with a dramatic script. Socially inept guy who can beat the tar out of people?

I don't think it was a stretch for him.

JR

Robert Devereux
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

Punch Drunk Love was a good film, but wasn't a stretch for Sandler. It was the same "socially inept guy with bursts of violent behavior" he plays in other films. The difference is the ineptness and violence are normally timed for comedic effect, but in PDL they were timed for dramatic effect.

Maybe when he plays something entirely different (not socially inept or violent), I will reconsider his acting.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 01:26 pm:   

Burt Lancaster was swell in Atlantic Citybut that same accent and persona as a Mexican duputy in Valdezwas a travesty. So, yes, giving an actor an appropriate part is key.

Jamie
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:51 pm:   

Cameron Diaz was great in Being John Malkovich, I thought.

Simon Owens
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:08 pm:   

Yes, she did a good job in Being John Malkovich.

My votes:

Ashton Kutcher
J-LO
Sandra Bullock

Simon Owens
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:09 pm:   

Oh yeah...

...and that guy from Timeline. That movie was bad enough as it was, but he was that extra touch to turn it into a horrible movie.

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 07:12 pm:   

Yeah, I have to say that I'm intrigued by PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE, but I will never see it. I refuse to see anything that has Adam Sandler in it. Same thing with Nick Cage. So, I'll never see RAISING ARIZONA. My loss. I can't stand either of them. From what I can glean, those are both good (perhaps great in the case of RAISING ARIZONA) but I'm too stubborn to change my mind and see either film. It'll probably happen some day, and then everyone can mock me. :-(

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:42 am:   

A-ha, Paul Walker is that doofus from the FAST & FURIOUS movies. I had him and Paul Bettany crossed in my head. Yes. He is terrible.

JK

Jack Haringa
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:16 pm:   

Actors:
Keanu Reeves, hands down--he was out-acted by both Henry Rollins and Dolph Lundgren in Johnny Mnemonic. Bill and Ted's... isn't an exception to his utter ineptitude; he was playing himself.

Vin Diesel deserves some sort of mention here, I think. As do Heath Ledger, David Schwimmer, and Harry Hamlin.

Actresses:
Katie Holmes is pretty terrible, even if she is terribly pretty.

Mariah Carey, Madonna, and Brittney Spears should be issued restraining orders from all studios.

Linda Hamilton. I can't believe I'm the only person who wanted the Terminator to get Sarah Connor.

~Jack~

Bill Shunn
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:54 am:   

I agree about Keanu Reeves.

I think Andie McDowell is universally terrible. For me she ruined GREEN CARD, 4 WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL, GROUNDHOG DAY, and that's just off the top of my head.

Jennifer Lopez was outstanding in OUT OF SIGHT, so as much as I'd like to include her, I can't. She's been terrible in everything else, though.

And having for some insane reason sat through all of GIGLI recently, I also want to nominate Ben Affleck, but I liked him in CHASING AMY. But he's been terrible in everything else.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   

I liked Affleck in MALL RATS, too. Keanu (I always pronounce his name 'canoe') is unilaterally unemotional. He made DANGEROUS LIASONS difficult to watch. I agree with Lopez in OUT OF SIGHT. In fact, I like many of her earlier films before she 'realized' she was great.

Not good enough for a cookie, though. Bill knows what I mean.

JK

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 01:22 pm:   

I hate Alan Cumming with all my heart. He's a truly horrible actor that confuses "smirking" with "acting" (with the exception of X2, in which he was barely passable). I wonder if anyone else shares this deep, abiding hatred.

Can't stand Vincent D'Onofrio in Criminal Intent--another smirker. But I think that has as much to do with horrible scripts; I've seen D'Onofrio in good movies.

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 01:25 pm:   

Also, a big vote for Matthew Perry.

Karen Meisner
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:12 pm:   

I loved Alan Cumming in The Anniversary Party, which he also wrote and directed, so I can't hop on the hate train with you. I'd say Andie MacDowell, except that she won my heart in the (not very good) movie "Hudson Hawk", where she was weirdly goofy and fun. I keep thinking of people and ruling them out, because they've given at least one performance that doesn't suck. Even Kim Basinger can sort of act sometimes.

Okay, I'll say Denise Richards. And Arnold.

Karen Meisner
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   

Oh! Kevin Costner. "Hate" is too passionate a word to describe my feelings about him, but "loathing" works.

Steven Seagal is another obvious one. And Chris O'Donnell.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:44 am:   

There is only one Costner film that I've ever liked: THE UNTOUCHABLES. I have not re-watched it in many years and I've found that when I go back and watch movies I used to think we very good, I just don't like them. Now, a lot of those movies are junk like Jean Claude van Damme and Steven Seagal shit (hey, two bad actors!) but not all. I remember being highly disappointed when I went back and watched EXCALIBUR...how can that many great actors make such a hokey, cheesy movie? Of course, Arthur was not played by one of those great actors (Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, Iam Holm, etc.) so maybe that's it. Also was disappointed with Godfather III (made the mistake of watching all three in one weekend, and it PALES in comparison), really upset/disturbed with the end of TIME BANDITS (which I had forgotten), etc. etc.

This is great stuff here folks.

JK

disturbing friend
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:04 am:   

Don't touch it, it's EVil!

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

Yeah, and then the kid is orphaned and the movie ends! What the hell?!??!!?

JK

Dave G.
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:17 am:   

I've got to jump in and defend the indefensible here for a minute. Sometimes performances are just so over-the-top awful that they are enjoyable as pure comedy. If anyone can watch Out For Justice with Tibetan holy man Steven Seagal and not get a chuckle from Gino Felino's absurd Brooklynisms, you, sir, have no sense of humor. Much worse in that film is Dominic "Uncle Junior" Chianese's fake Italian accent, a cinematic crime made even worse by the fact that the guy is really Italian! The belly-laugh factor is also what would keep me from citing Crispin Glover's performance in River's Edge...

Can someone explain to me how Pruitt Taylor Vince ends up getting such high billing for playing the same chubby sociopath in every flick? He was fourth or fifth-billed in Monster for about a five minute scene...

I agree with the comment about everyone being good at least once (cf., Elizabeth Berkley in Roger Dodger)...

Karen Meisner
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:21 pm:   

See, the end of TIME BANDITS is my favorite part; it really makes the movie for me. Guess it's hard to find something that's universally reviled, eh? I suppose even Denise Richards is -- well, she's godawful, but still fun to watch in WILD THINGS.

Dave G.
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 06:29 am:   

I second that.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 08:31 am:   

OK, I'll ignore the Denise Richards comment and speak back to TIME BANDITS. I know as a child I loved seeing his awful parents come to what I felt was a fitting end. But, as an adult, I'm struck at the end that now this child is an orphan and is left alone while he watches his house burn down.

Of course, since he lives in Britain, I can only assume that something good came of him like other British orphans Oliver Twist, Paddington Bear, or Harry Potter. Or perhaps he could move to North America and live like Anne of Green Gables or the Baudelaire family. And there's always Pippi Longstocking, wherever she was from. So maybe I shouldn't worry, since it seems he'll be fine and have plenty of hijinks.

JK

Stuff
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:46 am:   

I feel I need to stick up for Nic Cage because my girlfriend loves the guy and would dump me if I let the opportunity to defend his name pass by. On top of that I do have a fondness for the man - I think Adaptation is a great movie and Cage does a good job in it. Raizing Arizona (combining her love for Cage and my love for the Coens) is terrific too.

Phew... I feel better for that.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:11 am:   

Hey Stuff:

Understandable. I just cannot watch this guy. I was never a big fan, but he didn't really bother me until LEAVING LAS VEGAS. Then when he won an Oscar...I refuse to watch anything he's in. Just being stubborn on my part.

JK

stuff
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:47 am:   

I get irrational distastes frequently for all kinds of personalities. When they do something worthwhile that upsets the dark picture I've built of them it just frustrates me more.
Actors get away with more from me than, say, musicians or sportsmen.
So I sympathise. Yet encourage. ;)

Lawrence A
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 02:53 am:   

There are plenty of actors and actresses who going by something idiotic they have said in an interview or similar, I have hated them for it, even if they are good actors and it prevents me from enjoying their performances, even if they are good ones.

I like that comment about Kutcher, hey dude where's my talent? Funny. I heard he got fired from the set of the new Cameron Crowe movie, for being useless, but I don't know how true that is. He should stick to punk'd.

Paul Walker even getting roles in Hollywood is indicative of the sad state of movie-making. He shouldn't even get walk-ons, he's that bad.

chuck h
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   

Nicholas Cage has played some loathesome roles, but Adaptation was amazing, he was so good in that movie that he should get some sort of reprieve.

Any movie with which Adam Sandler's name is even vaguely associated will never steal eight of my hard-earned dollars.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:54 am:   

Yeah, I feel bad about Adaptation. and Raising Arizona. They are actually two movies that will most likely eventually make me break my oath to never see a Nick Cage movie again. They are both on cable fairly regularly, so I should just TiVo them and get it over with. I mean, it's not like he's Steve Gutenberg or Paul Walker. I like Kutcher a lot on That '70s Show, but I think that's more the writing than his acting.

I have to say I watched PULP FICTION on cable recently, and was very disappointed in my rewatching of it. Of course, I came in part way through the film, but I've seen it many times so I knew what was going on, but still. The writing seemed forced, the acting stilted, the dialogue campy...I remember when I first saw this film I was blown away. Did it not age well, or was my dinner affecting my senses? Just curious. I stopped watching it before I ruined my memory of it. I still think it's a well-made film, and I think if I watched from start to finish I would enjoy it.

JK

chuck h
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:25 am:   

Sometimes if I'm in a particularly strange mood my favorite movies are rendered suddenly unwatchable. Take TRAINSPOTTING, for instance. Normally, I think it's amazing. But on unpredictable occasions, I find it trite and whiny. This effect is enhanced if I enter the movie part way through.

steve r
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 03:05 pm:   

Well, taken me four months to defend her honour from Jack Haringa, but Terminator without Linda Hamilton??? She was marvellous!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register