Vinyl Collection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » Vinyl Collection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:37 pm:   

OK, so here's the deal. I have a small vinyl collection that I am seriously considering getting rid of. Here's the bad/good thing: it's primarily hard rock/heavy metal/hair band music from the 1980s, with a little bit into the 90s and a little punk. I'm looking at selling some of the stuff on eBay, and taking the rest to Princeton Record Exchange up the road from me. I know there are some things in my collection that are unusual or cool (picture discs, shaped vinyl, etc.) but a lot of it is just a plain old album.

Why am I mentioning it here? I thought I would see if anyone who reads these boards and checks out my little section of the world would be interested in any of this stuff before I go and sell it all. At some point over the weekend I'll put up a good selection of what I have (I don't think I need to list a couple hundred albums) and that should tell any of you whether or not you're interested.

Here's a quick taste so you know what I'm talking about:

Faith no More: We Care a Lot
Faith no More: Introduce Yourself
Faith no More: Falling to Pieces 12"
Faith no More: Epic 12"
Faith no More: From out of Nowhere 12"
Iron Maiden: everything through Somewhere in Time
Metallica: Kill 'em All
Metallica: Jump in the Fire (shaped picture disc)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning
Metallica: Creeping Death 12"
Metallica: $5.98 EP
Raven: everything through Nothing Exceeds Like Excess

And so on. There's more. There's all the Guns 'n' Roses, Skid Row, Winger, White Lion, Whitesnake, Autograph, Keel, Motley Crue, Ratt, W.A.S.P., Anthrax, Misfits, etc. that I'll list later.

And if you don't care about my collection, talk about yours. What's your favorite album? What was your first album?

My first two albums (bought simultaneously) were The Police: Synchronicity (which I've played so much I wore the grooves off it) and Motley Crue: Shout at the Devil (which I was so embarassed by the lyrical content [I was 12] that I hid it and didn't listen to it for months).

Cheers.

JK

Rhys
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 02:16 am:   

To me that record list reads like the soundtrack of a day in hell... :-)

The very first album I ever bought with my own money... Kilimanjaro by The Teardrop Explodes.

The worst album I ever bought... probably Canterbury by Diamond Head.

The only three albums I ever wore out by playing them too much:
The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
Brain Salad Surgery by ELP
Treasure by The Cocteau Twins
(I can't actually bear to listen to the first two of these anymore!)

The best album I ever bought... It might well turn out to be The Venezuelan Zinga Son by Los Amigos Invisibles (and I say this even though I've only had it for two weeks!) It's just so funky!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 06:36 am:   

"To me that record list reads like the soundtrack of a day in hell... :-)"

Yeah, I can see that. When I flip through my vinyl, I often wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Now, there is some of it I still like, Voivod, Misfits, Rollins Band, etc. But a lot of it--Cats In Boots, Faster Pussycat, Cinderella--it makes me cringe to know that I own it. I'm just hoping to find a home that will appreciate them. So far the albums have camp value at parties, but I never listen to them anymore. I'm planning on holding on to my K-Tel albums (for those of you outside North America, K-Tel was a company that put together cheap compilations of current 'hits', much like the "Now That's What I Call Music" franchise does now; I have a number of early '80s new wave K-Tel collections where that's the only place I have the songs) and perhaps a half dozen other things, but the rest I want gone.

Let's see, worst album I ever bought, I'd probably give that claim to Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe. I bought it for the cover, having no idea who the people were. Of course, it's YES (or at least an incarnation of YES) without Chris Squire. While I enjoy YES and other prog rock stuff, I have to be in the mood for it, and the Anderson Bruford et al album is not even prog rock like YES's Union or Brain Salad Surgery or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...it's instrumental. Not my thing.

JK

Jamie
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:55 am:   

What are the track listings on the Faith No More 12"s? I've always been a fan...

If only Mr. Bungle was a bit cheaper.

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:33 am:   

Hey John, did you ever read Chuck Klosterman's FARGO ROCK CITY? It's this fairly amusing, unapologetic memoir about growing up in the Midwest listening to "big hair" metal bands.

I admit I listened to a lot of that stuff myself in high school, although I think I was a bit less into the pop metal stuff and more into Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. And Rush, definitely Rush. But I did have that same Motley Crue album....

John Klima
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   

I'll get the Faith no More listings in a day or two. I've never read any Klosterman I must admit, although I've heard his name quite often. These albums all go back to being in high school in the later half of the 80s. My collection is a disturbing mix of Cinderella-type bands and Slayer-type bands. You can tell when my tastes changed and I started to discover the lack of substance in the hair-band music. It also relates to how all I wanted in the movie theaters was something new from Steven Seagal or Jean Claude Van Damme (or a slasher flick). Thankfully I've outgrown that phase. I'll have to check out the Klosterman book.

JK

Robert Devereux
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 05:51 am:   

Now, there is some of it I still like, Voivod, Misfits, Rollins Band, etc. But a lot of it--Cats In Boots, Faster Pussycat, Cinderella--it makes me cringe to know that I own it.

I know that feeling. I come from a largely metal background and am quite embarrassed with some of the stuff I used to listen to (Cinderella, Poison, Motley Crue, etc). Growing up in rural Maine, the only metal I could find was hair metal, which I quickly dropped once I could find other stuff.

Now when I want to listen to metal, I usually find something from the death/black metal scene. Even though the vocals suck, there is a lot more interesting music going on there compared to other styles of metal.

My own vinyl collection is tiny - only two records.
Porcupine Tree - Piano Lessions 5" (it has a different bonus track from the CD single)
End Amen - Your Last Orison (one of my favorite metal guitar players did this as a one-shot album, after years of searching for the CD, I could only find the vinyl)

Will
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:39 pm:   

Hey Mr. Klima,

Parting with your vinyl, huh? Sad. You can pick up a pretty respectable new turntable for about $200 (and you can do much better with vintage tables on ebay). Just sayin...

I'm a record junky. I've got around 4-500. It would be more but I live in a 2 room apartment so I try to keep them pared down. Listening to Nico's Desert Shore on vinyl at the moment ("Janitor of lunacyyyy. Parylyze my infancyyyyy...." yeah, anyway) and I just picked up a 3-disk Marvin Gaye Anthology at the Salvation Army in perfect shape. Good score.

My favorite record at the moment is Henske and Yester's Farewell Aldebaran which I finally managed to get on ebay for less than $70 (Thank god for typos).

I was forged in metal too. I went from Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot to Metallica and Slayer and then pretty much into punk. Dabbled in hair metal a bit. It kind of always grossed me out though. I associate it now with 8 hr stretches in front of mtv and mounds of junk food. Ick.

I might adopt a misfits record or two and I'd like to hear what punk you've got. Wednesday perhaps?

Will

John Klima
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 08:39 am:   

Sure Will, I'll get myself organized by then. I actually do have a very nice turntable...I just never use it. Like I said, or should have said if I have not, there are a few (or a few dozen) albums I want to hold onto, but that's about it. Even so, the albums I do have are not in a location where I need to free up the space, I was just going through books, CDs, albums (which I do at least once a year) to move out things I no longer need/want. It helps make space for all the future things I'm going to get.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:55 am:   

Sorry that I didn't get the Faith No More informatino posted, I was not as organized about this process as I hoped. Keep watching and I will list what I got. I have to get a bunch of (other) stuff on eBay first, then to the vinyl.

JK

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 01:09 pm:   

Not a problem.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:02 am:   

Jamie:

Here, finally, are the track listings for the three Faith no More 12" singles:

From Out of Nowhere
1. From Out of Nowhere*
2. Woodpecker From Mars (Live)
3. The Real Thing (Live)
4. Epic (Live)

Falling To Pieces
1. Falling To Pieces
2. We Care A Lot (Live)
3. Underwater Love (Live)
4. From Out of Nowhere (Live)

Epic
1. Epic
2. Falling To Pieces (Live)
3. Epic (Live)
4. As the Worm Turns (Live)

Anything sound interesting?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:05 am:   

In other news, went to Princeton Record Exchange with most of my stuff, along with some CDs, videos, and DVDs. Made about $100, which wasn't too bad for a bunch of stuff that I didn't want anymore. The individual stuff I kept and I'm selling on Ebay is here:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=johnck&includ e=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

There might be some books going up there soon, too. Most of the albums end this weekend, so if you're interested, bid soon, and bid often. :-)

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register