HUGO Nomination Thoughts and Recs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » HUGO Nomination Thoughts and Recs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 06:45 am:   

OK, this is post from another thread that I'm moving over here:

So, here's an easy one: Fanzine.

Electric Velocipede is eligible.
LCRW is eligible.
Fortean Bureau is eligible.
Chizine is eligible.

The Say... series hasn't had enough issues, but will for 2005. Same thing for FUHU. Not sure of Talesbones numbers, so I always nominate them for best semiprozine (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong!). I'd like to see someone different on the ballot this year. This is a tough category since most of the products are small potatoes so you either know it, or you don't. But, I think Pltoka, Mimosa, Ansible, and File 770 have been on the ballot long enough. Time for some fresh blood.

And yes, I'm being selfish and hoping to get myself on the ballot.

In the next few days I'll offer my thoughts on who should be up for editor.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:18 am:   

I promised editors, so here's some thoughts on editors. There are fewer (and more) editors elligible for this award than you would think. From people who have threads on this board, obviously Gordon van Gelder, Ellen Datlow, and Laura Anne Gilman are elligible for nomination. From those who post here, Jim Minz is elligible. I'm sure there are others whom I'm forgetting about. I'm not sure if Jason Williams, Lou Anders, Forrest Aguirre, Deborah Layne, Jay Lake, Chris Robeson, etc. are elligible. It depends on how many copies their periodical got out, and whether or not their books are considered to be the same as books from Tor/Aspect/Eon/etc.

I know I am not elligible. This was also include Des Lewis (Nemonymous), Luis Rodrigues (Fantastic Metropolis), Cheryl Morgan (Emerald City), Christopher Rowe (Fortress of Words), Keith Brooke (Infinity Plus), and I'm sure others I've forgotten about.

So, where does that leave your ballot? Well, part of me tries to bring change to the ballot. Therefore, I never nominate Gardner Dozois, Stanley Schmidt, or David Hartwell. While there is enough of each of their work every year where I feel they deserve a nomination, I also know that they will make the ballot with or without my vote. Also, I personally think Gardner has won the award enough times (we've shown that we respect his work...I mean doesn't 17 awards show that people think he is a good editor?) and should no longer be elligible.

[my next post will address fan writer, a category that's gotten as meaningless as semi-prozine]

So who will be on my ballot? Ellen and Gordon for sure. Beyond that, I have about six people who I am trying to whittle down to my final three. This is one category where I'm fairly certain where I want to go. Of course, if I learn that the editors of, for example, Leviathan are elligible, then it may through the mix for a loop.

My bigger problem comes in voting for this category.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:25 am:   

Fan Writer. What does this category even mean? Is it worth having? No one but Dave Langford has won since 1989, and he also won twice before that. Just like Best Editor, I think we've validated the fact that Dave is a decent writer. Can we make him non-eligible? I think a lot of people vote for him since it's a name they recognize. Again, I try to bring change to the ballot. Any in my zine who has not had publication in a major pub can be nominated here, including myself. Ditto for any of the other smaller categories.

I think some changes need to go into the elligibility of this category. If you've been published by a major (magazine or book) you are no longer elligible for this award. Also, if you've won a Hugo writing award other than this one (Dave Langford, 2000, Best Short Story) you are no longer elligible. If you can be published by the big people and/or win awards for it, you are no longer a fan.

And really, who thinks of Dave Langford as merely a fan? I mean, this guy has been around forever, and he's brilliant. Yeah, I subscribe to Ansible, and I enjoy it, but I do not think of Mr. Langford as someone on the outside of the SF world.

I'll probably nominate people from Electric Velocipede for this award and none of them will make the ballot. Then I'll vote No Award again and hope some changes can be made.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

From the WSFS (World Science Fiction Society) Constitution:

3.3.12: Best Fan Writer. Any person whose writing has appeared in semiprozines or fanzines or in generally available electronic media during the previous calendar year.

3.3.13: Best Fan Artist. An artist or cartoonist whose work has appeared through publication in semiprozines or fanzines or through other public display during the previous calendar year. Any person whose name appears on the final Hugo Awards ballot for a given year under the Professional Artist category shall not be eligible in the Fan Artist category for that year.

Interesting that it is in place to prevent artists from returning to the fan category, but Robert Sawyer or Arthur C. Clarke could publish a story in my zine be elligible for Fan Writer.

That's crap.

JK

PS--Of course Robert or Arthur, if you're reading this, I have space in an upcoming issue if you have something you want to send my way....

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:59 am:   

Of course, would you have to follow this with the idea if a story from my zine wins Best Short Story, would my zine no longer be considered a fanzine? Obviously, not under the current rules, but if I push for the case that if you win a Hugo for Best (insert ficiton here) you are no longer elligible for Best Fan Writer, how should that effect the publications?

Nonetheless, it would be next-to-impossible for a story from my zine to get nominated in the first place since not many people see it, so my question is most likely moot anyway.

JK

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:54 am:   

Damn, do you talk to yourself at home like this? ;)

I'd love to see Talebones on the ballot, myself.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:18 pm:   

Yeah, it drives my wife nuts. I, too, would love to see Talebones on the ballot and maybe see someone other than Locus win the award. So who out there is a semi-prozine? Locus, Talebones, Chronicle (altho Warrne Lapine claims it no longer qualifies), anyone else? Does LCRW now qualify? C'mon people, is there a resource that will tell who qualifies?

JK

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

Along similar lines as Locus, Speculations qualifies.

John Picacio
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:21 pm:   

Hey, John --

I can defintely clarify the eligibility of Lou Anders for Best Professional Editor. He most definitely is eligible and is most definitely deserving of Hugo nominations.

Besides editing the visionary relaunch of ARGOSY MAGAZINE which debuted in 2003, he edited the excellent anthology LIVE WITHOUT A NET, which was a major summertime '03 paperback release from Penguin/Roc Books. Authors included in that collection were Stephen Baxter, David Brin, Paul DiFilippo, Alex Irvine, Michael Swanwick, Charles Stross, John Meaney, Chris Roberson, and many more.

Also, there are some top rate stories in that collection that voters should consider for Best Short Story....namely, "O One" by Chris Roberson; "Clouds and Cold Fires" by Paul Di Filippo; and "Conurbation 2473" by Stephen Baxter. John Meaney's "The Swastika Bomb" is also in this collection and that one made NESFA's Recommended List for Best Novella. So you might consider that one in that category....

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 06:32 am:   

John,

I forgot about LIVE WITHOUT A NET, that definitely qualifies Lou. I wasn't sure about the size of Argosy's print run. My assumption was that it was large enough to qualify as a professional magazine, but I hate to assume. So, people, add Lou to your nomination ballot if you like that kind of stuff!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   

Hey, let's talk about movies. What came out last year that is eligible (there's that damn word again) for the Hugos. Actually, I probably need more help for the short form (I could skip it...) then for long form, but what did we have?

Here's what IMDB gives us as the top grossing films of 2003:

339,714,367 Finding Nemo (2003)
305,388,685 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
281,492,479 The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
242,589,580 Bruce Almighty (2003)
242,374,000 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
214,948,780 X2 (2003)
164,648,692 Elf (2003)
150,350,192 Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
138,396,624 Bad Boys II (2003)
137,882,816 The Matrix Revolutions (2003)

Interesting that almost all of these are eligible for Hugo nomination. And none of the fall under the 90 minute mark (although ELF is close). What else came out? Not too much that I would bother nominating, frankly.

Underworld
LXG
The Hulk
Daredevil
The Cat in the Hat

Lastly, films I'm curious to see, but haven't yet, and therefore don't feel right nominating:

Gothika
Big Fish

What am I missing?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

So, no other long form suggestions and no short form suggestions at all? Or am I just not feeling the love?

JK

Tim Akers
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 02:31 pm:   

Mm. I don't think the Hugos should include film awards at all. Leave that to the film institutes and hollywood.

But I'm just a bitter old man, except I'm not old, and really I'm not all that bitter.

Trent
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:09 pm:   

It seems to me that the movie end is rather settled already: LOTR. I need to watch it as a whole--I'm not sure it works as a separate entity.

Finding Nemo was probably the cutest I've seen of the above movies, but not terribly deep.

I only saw Reloaded, but it felt a little long-winded although you can feel some of the deeper structures. I've heard that the third of the films takes the structure more seriously than the story itself. Tough balancing act.

X2 is an improvement over the prequel, but the "human" story here is too spread out, giving it the feel of a superhero soap opera, but then the few superhero comic books I've read do tend to operate under such a principle. I've always had weakness for superhero films. I tend to enjoy them no matter how bad they are.

Terminator 3 started out as a rehash, but steadily became it's own story. I was rather impressed by the end.

If I was the sole judge (and what voter isn't?), I would give it without blinking to LOTR as a whole.

The rest I haven't seen although I'd still like to see Pirates and Big Fish. The snippets of the latter looked fun. If it delivered a good human story with as inventive a storyline as it appeared, I'd pick it over LOTR if it were considered separately. A lot of supposition there since I haven't seen it and Lucius, whose opinion I often agree with, says it was sappy.

I understand your feelings about the awards. It'd be nice to see some fresh faces. I doubt people are very aware of the quality of the smaller magazines, so it's probably a lost cause. Good luck!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

Yeah Trent, I'm with you. LOTR is the Hugo winner, I'm just looking for other candidates for nomination.

I'd really like to know what to nominate that's 90 minutes or less. I guess if I can't think of anything, then there's nothing from the year that really stood out to me, right?

Anyone got any suggestions for TV shows or shorter movies that could be worth nominating?

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 11:12 am:   

While we're at it, don't forget to add Electric Velocipede as write in for favorite magazine/fanzine. There's a ton of good things already on the list, but if read the zine and like it, help promote it!

Now, we'll see if this works better for me than it did for VanderMeer:

Click Here

Cool.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 11:14 am:   

Oh, and I was wrong earlier. Full Unit Hook-Up is eligible for Best Hugo Fanzine, since their fourth issue came out before the end of last year. I didn't know about this since it was lost by my mail person. (Christopher Rowe knows about trying to mail me stuff!)

So, for fanzine: Electric Velocipede, FUHU, Fortean Bureau, LCRW, Chizine...and I wish I had ten nomination slots for this one. I'd love to see someone new on the damn ballot this year.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:51 am:   

Sent in my noms today. Ended up not putting anything in the short form film category since I don't watch any genre television to speak of these days. Oh sure, I could have filled in some stuff from Hugo Award recommendation sites like Emerald City, but I'd feel better nominating something I actually saw. Had to use the Locus list to jog my memory for short fiction though. I think I have a good mix of stuff, we'll see what makes the ballot.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 01:22 pm:   

Well, I didn't get nominated for a Hugo. Once again its the same dreck for best fanzine...oh wait, Emerald City is up. Well that's more than cool. I wonder, am I a fanzine? I'd prefer to be a fanzine than a semi-prozine since as a semi- I'd have to go up against Locus, and that's never gonna lose until they make it ineligible. Interesting that Ansible is a semi- this year. More interesting that THACKERY LAMBSHEAD somehow got into related book.... Anyway, for my money there's only one choice in fanzine, Emerald City, and then nothing (same for fan writer, sorry everyone else; I refuse to vote someone for best fan writer when they've won Hugos for the short fiction in a professional manner, you don't let artists do that). Semi- looks like a good competition this year. I wonder, too, since I read www.locusmag.com WAY more than I'd ever read Locus, will that hurt them this year, or eventually? But with Interzone, NYRSF, and Third Alternative added into the mix for semi-, that's the best group I've seen there for year's. Unfortunately Professional Artist is just as stagnant this year. Where's Picacio? Did the rest of you forget to nominate him? Novella is still a choke-hold by Dell Magazines products, but it warms my cockles to see Novelette and Short Story get shook up some. So, did I really expect to get nominated? Well, sure, a part of me did. But that same part acknowledged that it's unrealistic at this point. It's not something that has wide exposure, many people aren't sure what to think of it, (is it a fanzine, is it something more serious, should I care?), and no one who goes to Worldcon even knows anything about the fanzine/small press world anyway. If it's not available in B&N, it may as well not exist. And if it's not completely available for free online, why should I bother?

Congratulations to everyone on this board who was nominated. You are all deserving of it. I'll make sure to vote as impartially as I can when I send in my ballot. (wink wink)

Always next year. Always next year.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register