2003 ends 2004 begins Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » 2003 ends 2004 begins « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 08:30 am:   

It's that time of year again. No, not time for resolutions (mine: keep on top of submissions to the zine, drink less soda, write), but time to gather material for Hugo nominations. This means I have to read all the material I've gathered over the past year. Everything from zines to magazines to books from 2003.

Needless to say, with subscriptions to F&SF, Asimov's, Talebones, LCRW, FUHU, Say...? (OK, not a sub, but I buy every issue), Realms of Fantasy, Cemetery Dance (don't expect Hugo material...but you never know), Absolute Magnitude, Artemis, etc. as well as amazing chapbooks like Intracities, Bittersweet Creek..., Other Stories..., etc., to anthologies like Polyphony, Trampoline, The Lambshead Guide, etc., to novels such as Quicksilver, The Tyrant, Veniss Underground, The Etched City, Mrs. Charbuque, etc., it's an intimidating prospect.

However, at this point, with much already read, I can go back over what I've read (things marked with an 'H' I considered Hugo-worthy [yes, as Scott Westerfield told me, I am a phillistine as I mark up my library, crossing off page numbers to indicate what's been read...]) and skim the rest. Things can be read like submissions: if they're not grabbing me, I don't need to continue.

Here's where you come in, let me know what you really liked from this year and if it's something I've skipped, I can go back and read it. Sound fair?

I'll post my progress here and in the end, write up what I thought was good from 2003, which more than likely will be a longer list than what I can nominate for Hugos.

Later!

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   

So, here's an easy one: Fanzine.

Electric Velocipede is eligible.
LCRW is eligible.
Fortean Bureau is eligible.
Chizine is eligible.

The Say... series hasn't had enough issues, but will for 2005. Same thing for FUHU. Not sure of Talesbones numbers, so I always nominate them for best semiprozine (maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong!). I'd like to see someone different on the ballot this year. This is a tough category since most of the products are small potatoes so you either know it, or you don't. But, I think Pltoka, Mimosa, Ansible, and File 770 have been on the ballot long enough. Time for some fresh blood.

And yes, I'm being selfish and hoping to get myself on the ballot.

In the next few days I'll offer my thoughts on who should be up for editor.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register