What condition my condition is in.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » What condition my condition is in.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:43 am:   

So, in the most recent issue of LCRW, there is an ad for Electric Velocipede. The ad calls it "The New Boys of Science Fiction". This is because issue #5 having more than 20 contributors, but only 2 of them were women. This gave me pause. Not because I think LCRW was trying to put me down (if that was the case, they wouldn't have run an ad), in my opinion it comes out of a observation by the editor of LCRW. But it did give me pause. So I went back and checked (not including myself in the counts):

Issue #1: 14 contributors / 3 women (2 were reviewers)
Issue #2: 13 contributors / 1 woman
Issue #3: 12 contributors / 5 women
Issue #4: 13 contributors / 2 women
Issue #5: 20 contributors / 2 women
Issue #6: 14 contributors / 2 women (issue not completely finished yet)

That's a total of 86 contributors with 15 of them being women. I've obviously published far more men than women, but that comes out of what I'm getting for submissions. I don't see a lot of submissions from women. I don't know if it's me personally, but rather I suspect the word is not getting out to places where women see it. I know there are women out there writing great stuff.

I would love to see more work from women. I actually have a fair amount of subs from women versus men right now, and I hope that I find some things I like. I don't mean to say that I want to publish fewer men, I want to increase my submission base in general.

Any suggestions?

John Klima
Editor
Electric Velocipede
http://www.electricvelocipede.com

Gwenda B.
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:54 pm:   

Saying it in a place like this is a good start. Emailing some women whose writing you like and saying you'd love to see work from them doesn't hurt either.

One more suggestion is that in ads or promos, try to always mention at least one female writer. It can't hurt and might send a subliminal message that EV also publishes women.

gwenda

Karen Meisner
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:44 pm:   

Exactly what Gwenda said. Good luck!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 05:41 am:   

True true true Gwenda. I realized as soon as you've said it that my ads have listed many of the men I've published, but none of the women. That's bad on my part. As for the other suggestion, it has been a while since I've actively solicated anyone for submissions.

Thanks for your thoughts!

JK

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:34 pm:   

OK, saw a spike in the numbers of female writers, but I'm still seeking subs from women writers (just in general). I'm getting a lot of good stuff. Issue #7 acceptances has three men and two women at this point. Better proportions so far. My re-read pile is monumentally larger than my slush pile, which I guess is a good thing.

What are people's thoughts on the following subject:

I'm thinking about killing my CafePress store. It doesn't generate any income, and the stuff is pretty expensive, even for me to buy it for myself. I'd be better off making stuff elsewhere and selling it on my own at cheaper prices. What do people think? What sort of experiences do people have with CafePress?

I guess I could always keep a store open for my own purposes if I wanted to make one shirt or something...but I think in general it's time to stop maintaining it.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 11:08 am:   

Judging from the underwhelming response (hey, I know, I'm no F&SF) I think it's time for the Cafe Press store to go. It's products are too expensive (for my customers) and it's designs are fairly limiting. I'll more than likely keep my account open so I can make special items for myself, but there doesn't seem a need to maintain the thing anymore.

JK

Marguerite Reed
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   

And how are things now with the women aspect?

Luke Jackson
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 09:34 am:   

It certainly looks like there's been improvement in that department:

http://electricvelocipede.pbwiki.com/TableofContents
(esp ish 14).

Marguerite Reed
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 04:47 am:   

Yeah, that's the WisCon issue!

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 07:38 am:   

I'm trying folks! Things are coming along nicely. Now I need to work on diversifying the ethnicity of my contributors.

JK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register