World Cup 2006 Postmortem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » World Cup 2006 » World Cup 2006 Postmortem « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

trent hergenrader
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 09:36 am:   

Overall I think this was an average World Cup. Many good games despite the low scoring but I felt it could have been so much more. The early rounds were dominated by the referees; it wasn't until after the NED vs. POR debacle that the refs regained their sanity and let the players play.

Sadly, I'll likely remember this World Cup for the diving, play-acting, and time wasting. I was disappointed to see two of the worst offenders in Portugal and Italy make it to the semis.

The 1990 World Cup was marred by lots of time wasting and low scoring. FIFA responded by liberalizing the offsides rule to make even onsides and ruling that goalkeepers could not handle backpasses and were required to promptly put the ball back in play. I hope FIFA listens to Franz Beckenbauer and institutes rules to discourage diving and play-acting. While some argue that such antics are merely cultural and part of the game, it's certainly not fun to watch and the problem needs to be addressed.

But to end on a positive, there were a number of shining moments: Spain’s fourth against the Ukraine; the wondergoal Argentina scored against S&M; Maxi Rodriguez’s left-footed volley against Mexico; Beckham’s free kick against Ecuador. And that just names a few.

Four years is so long to wait...

Brendan Connell
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 09:47 am:   

Well, according to Beckenbauer's idea, Buffon would have got the card, not Zidane :-)

But yes, I think that that is partly how Italy got to that final match.

Jetse
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:48 am:   

Testing...

my picture

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register