England Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » World Cup 2006 » England « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Iain Rowan
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 02:44 am:   

Ah well. Maybe next time.

Out on penalties in the quarter-finals.

And what a horrendous goal-keeping error in the first half. We might have won in normal time if it hadn't been for that. And playing half the team out of position.

(Just thought I'd get this ready now, to save time later).

neilw
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:46 am:   

LOL

And Shearer would have had that in the back of the net as well.

Hey you never know Iain (course you've got to get pst the mighty Poland before we can *really* talk about that, right?)

Minz
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 06:44 am:   

Yer seriously messing with people's minds, Iain. For work, my head's been in 2006 for a while already, and soon will turn a lot more serious eye toward 2007, so your post threw me for a serious loop. LOL

Iain Rowan
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

We should be in with a reasonable shout. More so this World Cup than for a long time I think.

But somehow, it'll not work out.

We've got some great players. Centre of defence, we have a glut, at least four really class internationals. There aren't many better full-backs than Ashley Cole. Goalkeeping situation's not ideal, but could be worse.

Centre of midfield, Gerrard and Lampard have had fantastic seasons. Joe Cole maybe is the answer on the left. Beckham on the right? Hmm. I'd like to see Sean Wright-Phillips come on a bit more in the next year, then who knows. Upfront, Owen and Rooney.

I can't think when the team's been so settled, when there's been such obvious candidates for each position - or even, shock horror, a difficult choice.

And yet, and yet. Sum of the whole isn't equal to the parts, as some of the performances in qualifying so far show. There's no real spark, no creative genius, and Sven seems intent on playing a very defensive game - which cost us in the European Championships, I think.

So we grind out wins that aren't that convincing, when we should be playing much better, given some oft the talent we have, and that many of the most talented players are coming to their peak. And I do think Eriksson is responsible for much of that.

Anyway, it's not club football so I don't get too worked up over it. But I would like to see us make more of what we have.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   

Badgers and football.
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:07 am:   

For the record, I am not Anon (this time).

And buck up Iain. Maybe the team will gel in time for the big games and rise to the occasion, like the French!

neilw
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

Iain, I think your analysis is close to spot on. Obviously as a Scot I'm perfectly happy to see Sven hold England back, but as a general football fan it's frustrating too, because the England teams I remember from the 70s and 80s were exciting to watch, there was a dash and swagger about them. Nowadays with a really decent pool of players as you say, they hover between efficient and constipated.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing I'd like less than to see England win the World Cup again - we're still suffering from the last time - but it'd be nice to see talented player being allowed to play.

Minz - yeah, I think we should get an MP to table a motion in parliament that in order to improve the fortunes of the football team, the English "should try to be more like the French". That'd go down well for sure.

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 11:30 am:   

I meant in World Cup play only, of course. Pass me some Freedom Fries...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register