General Discussion Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » World Cup 2006 » General Discussion « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JV
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   

This messageboard is for those genre fans (and others!) who think football is the greatest sport in the world, and that the World Cup is the world's greatest sporting event.

With World Cup coming up in just one year, I thought it was time to create, with Jason W's blessing, a place for discussion.

I'm going to start a US thread for the US team, but won't presume to create other threads. I thought those with an interest in the teams of their countries could start those.

I'm going to be in Germany for the Cup next year. Woo-hoo!

JeffV

JV
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   

I realize that this board won't heat up except for the most hardcore fans until 2006.

JeffV

neilw
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 02:37 am:   

Yeah, well us Scots better make the most of it now then, cos there's two chances of us being involved when it all heats up : none and b****r all. Not that things aren't looking up under Smith, but it's way too late to make a jot of difference now.

On a happier note, the Confederations Cup has been showing over here recently, and Brazil look to me like decent favourites. There's a wee lad playing up front for them called Robinho, and he's an absolute joy to watch.

And that's something to look forward to for sure.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

Am I the only one who's surprised that Japan is doing as well as it is? Not a historical football powerhouse, to say the least, though I guess they did win the Asian cup last year.

al duncan
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 05:47 am:   

So what's the buy-in for a game of this "football"? Are aces high or low? Am I allowed to check-raise? What do the blinds start at?

I take it you're talking about some variant of lowball here, right?

JV
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:08 am:   

Al, Al, Al...

JV

neilw
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:56 am:   

Al - it's a no limit, winner takes all tournament. Due to a new FIFA directive, check raises are only valid during extra time and penalty kicks. The blinds are minimal, but the buy-in I'm afraid might be a little steep for you - you need to own your own country.

Alistair Rennie
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 03:34 am:   

A real message this time.

This world cup predictor on the BBC website is quite good fun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/spl/hi/predictor/html/football/world_cup_06/ default.stm

I've done it three times, with multiple variations, and each time had Italy as the winner, which I suppose is plausible (and predictable, though it is, after all, a predictor).

woo 2
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 08:51 am:   

lampard has dun nuffin swop im 4 theo

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register