WFC '03: Preliminary Findings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Roberts, Mark » WFC '03: Preliminary Findings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

Got back into London Heathrow from Washington Dulles International at about 10pm last night. Slept until 3pm today. Not sure about jet lag, yet. May have short-circuited the process by staying up 28 hours through sunday/monday.

Witnessing Jason and Jeremy win their awards, Jeff Ford win (both) of his, Jeff and Forrest take theirs for Leviathan, Zoran win novella (Jeff collecting in his absence), and Graham Joyce take his (with typical aplomb), was very special indeed. God knows how you guys actually felt; I was euphoric myself! Congratulations to each of you - and to the other winners, of course.

Wonderful to meet old friends face-to-face again, particularly Ann and Jeff.

Wonderful to finally meet face-to-face old email friends, notably Forrest and Eric.

Wonderful to make new friends, including (but not limited to, apologies to those I miss - more comprehensive comprehension may occur later) Jason, Jeremy, Molly, Allen, Gabe, Rob W, Jeff F, Stepan, Kia, Michael, Kirsten, Jamal, and a special shout out to Dan.

More detailed findings to come!

- Mark

neilw
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:04 am:   

I have a feeling I'm going to regret missing out more and more as the con reports trickle through.

Dagnabbit!

JV
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:21 am:   

Mark, the feeling's mutual--it was great to see you. I think you and I were both commiserating over Neil and Liz and everyone else who couldn't make it.

Jeff

Mark
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:55 am:   

Heh. Yeah - I think you and I spent much of Thursday evening looking over at each other and eitehr me saying 'I can't believe I'm here' or you saying 'I can't belive you're here'. Surreality ensued. I don't think my soul caught up with me over the four thousand miles from London until the Awards Banquet on Sunday. And now, of course, my soul is trailing behind me again, currently somewhere over the ocean off of Newfoundland, scurrying through the astral plasma back to Kent. I'm going to try to get away with as much as possible until it gets back.

- Mark

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:30 pm:   

Meeting the esteemed Dr. Roberts as well as Allen R. was definitely one of the highlights for me.

My little feet certainly enjoyed the attention...

And thanks to Jeff V for making the connections happen!

EricS
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   

Great to meet you Mark--a bang-up job moderating the Lambshead reading.

Although the absence of Dr. N. Williamson was sadly noted, I must mention that Dr. Mark Roberts was much more forthcoming than Dr. N. W. with previously unheard-of slang from across the Atlantic. He is a true cultural ambassador.

Tamar
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 02:29 pm:   

I wish I could have been there too, though I know no slang to speak of.

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 04:31 pm:   

Mark, it was fantastic meeting you. Friggin' fantastic, no wait . . .

Forrest

PS: Thanks to you again for increasing my knowledge of Her Majesty's slang vocabulary, you f****** c***.

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 04:32 pm:   

And glad you made it safely home, even though you did so in a soul-less state. It'll come back to you.

Forrest

Mark
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:17 am:   

LOL. Thanks, Forrest. I think my soul arrived some time overnight. Unless an Incorporeal has decided to piggy-back in its absence. Hmmm, well, if the latter is the case, the silly sod can bugger off. Incorporeals, eh? What a bunch of f*cking wankers.

- Mark

neilw
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:08 am:   

Slang, Eric? We don't do slang in Glasgow. My mither brung me up richt. I tell you she'd skelp ma bahoukie if she lugged me haverin t'ye like a pure ned or sumhin. You callin me a slang-slinger? Well uh'murnie.

ya bampot.

rfw
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:31 am:   

Hi Mark. It was great meeting you at the convention thing.

Robert

EricS
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:48 am:   

Neil--I was just trying to pick a fight, so as to hear and learn some provocative new lingo. Sadly enough, I understand so little of your speech that I can't figure out which are the fighting words. Next time please mark with astericks like so: b******e.

Tamar, I happen to know, likes to throw around the word: v******s. My ears are still ringing.

For those who are interested, the best word learned from Mark was: s*******t.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

Yes, but we taught Mark some American Slang:

K****s w***d f****s b*****n c*****n.

Which will soon be making it's way around the globe, no doubt, spreading from the DC Metro to take over the earth.

Forrest

n***w
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   

Actually Eric, there were no fighting words. Well, except *bampot* but it was meany in jest.

Cordial felicitations, you great t****h g***t q**q**e p*********************k

Daniel Read
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   

I'm still high from the weekend four days later. Met so many cool people; I won't even try to list them all for fear of missing someone. Mark, Jeff, and all the other doctors: it was great to see the Guide so well received. The awards banquet was great. I took great pleasure in seeing friends old and new winning awards. Congratulations all. I managed to walk away having only spent about $160 on books. I wish I could have bought more.

Selected highlights: the Disease Guide readings at Borders Thursday night, in particular Stepan and Kirsten's readings; Friday night's $200 bar tab at the Irish pub, downing scotch and Irish whiskee, talking prog rock with Allen, and weaving back to the hotel for yet more partying in Allen's room; $6 beers at the hotel bar (beer after beer after beer); watching football and talking shit with Mark, Lucius, Forrest, Jeff and Deborah--they might as well have engraved our names on the bar stools; wandering all around DC with a pack of people talking constantly at top speed about books and movies; Ann pouring Wild Turkey shots for half the people at the awards banquet; Jeff's acceptance speech on behalf of Zoran; the look on Jason's face when they announced Nightshade as the winner.

Most of all, at the risk of being overly sentimental, making new friends and meeting so many great writers made it an inspirational weekend.

Dan

Mark
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2003 - 07:41 am:   

'Nuff said. Much respect.

Mark

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:18 pm:   

Hey there, Mark.

Glad you got home in one piece. (But keep an eye on yourself. These trans-Atlantic planes are crawling with anti-leprosy these days.)

Yes, the WFC was a great moment for the Ministry and Night Shade Books and for all the various people who orbit around the VanderMeers, joint nexus of all realities.

Listen, would you do me a small favor. E-mail me at stepanchapman@hotmail.com and tell me your street address. I've got a charming little pamphlet of my drawings that I want to send you as a sort of belated party favor.

Michael Cisco
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 05:35 pm:   

The feeling's farking mutual, although goodness knows we didn't really get the opportunity to gnaw the lard. Seldom have I been better moderated!

MTC

Dr. Adder
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:28 pm:   

c*nts

jeff ford
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   

Mark: I'm a little late to this, but I've been away for a while after DC. It was great getting a chance to meet you and to see the guide doing so well at the convention after all of the hard work you and Jeff put into it. I'll be in Blackpool this coming April, and I'm hoping you will also be attending.

Best,

Jeff

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration