Search for stockpiles of truth proves... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rowan, Iain » Search for stockpiles of truth proves fruitless « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Iain Rowan
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 12:36 pm:   

"Iraq had no stockpiles of biological, chemical or nuclear weapons before last year's US-led invasion, the chief US weapons inspector has concluded.

Iraq Survey Group head Charles Duelfer said Iraq's nuclear capability had decayed not grown since the 1991 war."

(BBC News, 7 Oct 2004)

Here's a little reminder of some of the things Tony Blair said to us when selling the war in Iraq. All quotes also courtesy of the BBC.

Remember, *this* is why we went to war. Not regime change (can't mention that, it's illegal). Not the plight of the poor suffering Iraqis (we've known about that for decades, without giving a toss, officially. Hell, we even sold him hardware while he was gassing Halabja). Not the link with Al-Qaeda (because, um, there isn't one). Not any of the reasons that Blair is trying to retrofit on to the conflict. We went to war on the basis that Saddam Hussein was actively developing weapons of mass destruction despite the sanctions and the weapons inspectors, and we had to stop him. That is why we went to war.

That is why over a thousand US and British soldiers are dead. That is why many thousands of Iraqi civilians are dead. Remember, whatever they say now, *this* is why we went to war:

"Saddam Hussein's regime is despicable, he is developing weapons of mass destruction, and we cannot leave him doing so unchecked." (10th April 2002, to the House of Commons)

"It [the intelligence service] concludes that Iraq has chemical and biological weapons, that Saddam has continued to produce them, that he has existing and active military plans for the use of chemical and biological weapons, which could be activated within 45 minutes, including against his own Shia population; and that he is actively trying to acquire nuclear weapons capability..." (24th Sept 2002, to the House of Commons)

""We are asked now seriously to accept that in the last few years-contrary to all history, contrary to all intelligence-Saddam decided unilaterally to destroy those weapons. I say that such a claim is palpably absurd." (18th March 2003, to the House of Commons)

"As I have said throughout, I have no doubt that they will find the clearest possible evidence of Saddam's weapons of mass destruction." (4th June 2003, to the House of Commons)

"I don't concede it at all that the intelligence at the time was wrong.

"I have absolutely no doubt at all that we will find evidence of weapons of mass destruction programmes." (8th July 2003, to the Commons Liaison Committee)

"I don't think it's surprising we will have to look for them. I'm confident that when the Iraq Survey Group has done its work we will find what's happened to those weapons because he had them." (16 Dec 2003, interview with BBC Arabic Service)

Now read the first two paragraphs again.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration