Andmoreagain Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rowan, Iain » Andmoreagain « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Iain Rowan
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:50 pm:   

Hitchcock's have bought another of my stories. Funny, didn't think this one would sell there, it's bleak and downbeat and the ending lacks any sense of redemption at all. Not what I thought would be a comfortable fit, but what do I know.

Last week I said the word "Congratulations" some two and half thousand times. It's hard to make #2,498 sound as sincere as #3, even if you mean it.

I have spent much of this week on the phone being told how much my call is valued by people who aren't answering it. Press 1 for billing, press 2 for sales, press 3 if you want to hear these options again, press 5 if you're now banging the phone receiver off the edge of your desk over and over and over again shouting "Give me a person to talk to! Give me a fucking person!"

And car drivers. For some reason this appears to have been National Drive Like Someone's Scooped Out Your Brain Like the Yolk From A Hardboiled Egg Week. Really, sending cars to the maw of the scrapyard crusher sometimes shouldn't be something that has to wait until the driver has left the vehicle.

Ah well, three weeks until the start of the season. And a Champions League qualifier four days before that. And that's a sign that autumn's nearly here. My favourite time of year.

JV
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:16 pm:   

Congratulations, Iain!! And congrats again on the Postscripts story. I think this year and next you're really going to break it big. The momentum is building.

JeffV

Michael Kelly
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:28 am:   

I agree with Jeff's sentiments. Congratulations, Iain! Sounds like my kind of tale.

-Mike

rwexler
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:41 am:   

Congrats, Iain! What Jeff said.

Robert

Tamar
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

Congrats, Iain. How about a section for some of your stunning photography on that website of yours?

neilw
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 07:01 am:   

Adding my congrats to the votive offerings, Iain. But do us a favour, eh - get your lads to beat Celtic tonight. That'd be great.

neil

Iain Rowan
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:56 am:   

Thanks all, it's very kind of you. It does at least feel like things are moving in the right direction. I've given the short stuff a break for a while now because I'm trying to get this novel finished - and it's nearly there. Another month and I think the first draft will be done and then I will not feel like so much of a fraud when I say oh yeah, I'm writing a novel. And one more bit of good news, going back to the post Bang To Rights above this one - Dell are actually just going to return the performance rights back to me completely for my story The Chain, so there are no obstacles now for the plan for the screenwriter to develop it and see if anyone's interested.

Tamar, I think I will put some photos up, although much of it is rather less than stunning. But first I'm going to redesign the website completely, firstly because I'm moving hosts and it seems like a good time to do it, and secondly and most importantly because I have a tolerance threshold for boredom that is measured in may fly lives, and I can't stand the current design any more. I'll get some of the photos in when I do, and that'll be a good thing because the current incarnation is seriously lacking in anything graphic.

And Neil - I've got my fingers crossed. Apart from anything else, there'll be a tedious "I told you so" coming from the section of the Liverpool support who thought Martin O'Neill walks on water and was the only sensible manager for us if we lose. Not that a friendly means anything. Unless we win, of course, in which case forget I said that.

Cheers

Iain

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration