FX: tumbleweeds Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rowan, Iain » FX: tumbleweeds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Iain Rowan
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything in here, so I guess it's time to sweep away the cobwebs that are draped around like it's Miss Haversham's front room.

It's been a pretty quiet few months, writing-wise. Some annoying health issues have meant that until a few weeks ago I wasn't really writing at all, and sales have been few and far between (the last was a story taken by Fusing Horizons), but then so have rejections - everything just seems to be sitting out there. There's been one interesting - and maybe frustrating - development but I'll talk about that in a separate post.

I've been trying to keep my website updated on a much more regular basis, so rather than write everything twice I think I'll copy some articles across from there and maybe keep the two in semi-synchronisation.

Speaking of the website, despite redesigning it a few months ago I'm now a little bored with the look again. I'm thinking about going for something a little more sparse and monochrome. Any feedback on how well it works for you as it's structured, and as it looks, at the moment would be very welcome.

Cheers

Iain

Tamar
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:51 am:   

Good to see you sweeping those cobwebs away, Iain. Always enjoy reading your posts. I hope this means you're on the mend now.

Iain Rowan
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 08:52 am:   

Thanks Tamar, I *think* I am, and likewise.

I used the tried and trusted method of forking out way too much cash to go private for an MRI scan which I'd have had to wait a year for on the NHS. (And apparently a year puts the NE high up the MRI waiting list league table - we're doing *better* than many parts of the country. Feh.)

So, inevitably, about as soon as I'd handed the money over my back started getting better of its own petty and vengeful accord. It couldn't have done it three weeks earlier and saved us the bother. Oh no. Still, I don't care, if it's going to sort itself out it's cheap at ten times the price, to be honest.

Still feel cheated that I spent half an hour in something that is a) nuclear and b) magnetic and didn't come out with any superpowers at all.

Hope all's well with you.

Cheers

Iain

Tamar
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 10:18 am:   

Oh yes, there's nothing like forking out the cash to trigger a quick recovery. Usually just making an appointment with the doctor does it for me... Still, like you say, if it works, it's worth it.

MRI scan - ooh, I had one of those as well! Here in West Yorkshire they only made me wait three weeks - which is great, except that the moral of the story is you need to be maybe dying before they'll let you have one quick. Just being in excruciating pain ain't good enough.

Quite an experience, though - like finding yourself in one of those dodgy slightly S&M seventies sci-fi films where you've been captured by evil aliens and they're trying to drain your life-force to feed their computer-god. Did you get to listen to music during it? I chose Faure which was a bad choice. All that dreamy delicacy. I could barely hear it over the machine. Hard to choose anything appropriate to listen to while you're being drained by aliens...

Iain Rowan
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:16 am:   

I didn't get offered any music at all, so I got the full on being a tiny person inside a clanky old inkjet printer experience. Tsk. Seeing as I went private, I expected to get a pedicure during it, be hand fed grapes by nurses, etc.

So I had about twenty minutes of juddering and clanking, during which I spaced out into something of a trance through boredom and then the operator shouted down it to ask if I was ok, and I nearly jumped in the air (no mean feat if you are lying down) and spoilt the whole thing.

By coincidence, there was an article on the BBC news website today about the govt. buying in a lot of scanning from a private firm. The article pointed out that this was in response to people having to wait up to eight months for a scan. I emailed them off a message to say "eight months? It's longer than that" and much to my surprise got a reply an hour later saying thanks, they'd changed the story, and indeed they had - it now said up to a year. I could have said two years and they'd probably have printed that.

I'll have to think what story to change next. Being the shadowy controller of the world's news could be quite fun.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration