Noir/Mystery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Rowan, Iain » Noir/Mystery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JeffV
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:07 am:   

Who would you recommend of late in this genre? I am in the mood for some good mysteries or thriller and I know you're something of an expert.

Jeff V.

IainR
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 06:43 am:   

No expert, by a long way, but stuff I've read and liked at the moment in that kind of vein and would recommend:

George Pelecanos (highly recommended, top stuff, The Big Blowdown is my favourite)
Dennis Lehane
James Sallis
Jenny Siler (Iced, thought it was good)
Scott Philips (The Ice Harvest, recommended)
James Sallis
Douglas Winter (I think) - Run

Not noir, but highly recommended, anything by Robert Wilson. 'A Small Death In Lisbon' is my favourite, but there's also a series of books about a character called Bruce Medway, who's an expat English 'fixer' living in West Africa. All good. I think he has a new book out this month.

Also, historical thriller/spy fiction, anything by Alan Furst. Read them all, they're top drawer.

If anyone else reading this has any suggestions, do chime in.

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:20 am:   

Excellent! Thanks!

Jeff V.

PeterW
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:01 pm:   

Jeff,

There's two by Paul Mann that I greatly enjoyed:

Season of the Monsoon
Ganja Coast

Both are set in India (as is a third, The Burning Ghats, which I haven't read), and they do seem to capture the teeming life of the place.

I should qualify this by saying I've read little in this genre. YMMV, of course

Iain Rowan
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

Thanks Peter, I'll check those out. I'm very fond of noir/thrillers that are set in a place that I'm familiar with - *provided* they really give me a feeling of the atmosphere of the place, rather than those that are just there as a painted-by-numbers exotic backdrop for the plot.

I've a real weakness for anything set in Russia - some of Martin Cruz Smith's novels, Donald James' Vadim books and so on.

PeterW
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:56 pm:   

Hi Iain,

For some reason I thought I was posting to one of JeffV's boards, but here I am. Glad to see I hadn't barged in to obnoxiously. Anyway, hope you like the Mann books. I tend to think they'll meet your qualifications: I at least didn't find them paint-by-number.

I've got your recommendations down, so I hope to give them a shot in the near future. Already picked up Sallis' "Eye of the Cricket" for an upcoming plane trip to New Orleans (for a bit of preparatory atmosphere). Of course now I want to track down some of your work, too...

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration