HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

SF novel and the Constitutional right...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Politics and Religion » SF novel and the Constitutional right to overthrow the government « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Free Speechrobert eggleton02-23-07  03:45 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lancer Kind
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   

I read a novel in the early ninties about a futuristic earth and how the government was doing it's citizens wrong. So a rebellion was staged in the US. People felt rightious about it because the Bill of Rights gives them the right to overthrow the government once it becomes repressive.

What novel was that? My best guess is that it was Vinge's "The Peace War" or Moran's "The Long Run" but I don't have a copy of either to confirm this. Anyone have an idea?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Anders
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   

I think that idea is a reverb/echo of the Jeffersonian Democracy theory that we have a mini-revolution every 4 years. Nice thought but it doesn't work in practice when money/PACs/party politics weed out any real revolutionary ideas long before it can be presented at the ballot box.

Also the effort by one side or the other to marginalize and discount voters for the other cause makes a fraud of the idea that revolution can be attempted through the organs of the government one means to overthrow.

I'm not sure what the book title is - if they thought the US gov of the 90's was "doing us wrong" I can only imagine the apoplectic state the poor bugger must be in today.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |