HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Glad Ghosts

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Politics and Religion » Glad Ghosts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 11:25 am:   

"The dead must be somewhere; there's no such place as nowhere."
from 'Glad Ghosts' by DH Lawrence

des
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 05:05 am:   

Turning to DH Lawrence's story title (a brilliant story!), do you think ghosts are glad to be left roaming in the world their bodies used to live in - or sad?

Thomas R.
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 05:37 am:   

As I don't believe in ghosts I guess it doesn't matter to me.

I'd think though that roaming the Earth without a body would be sad, or in least boring, after a time. I think it'd be easier to do it if in life you had been a childless detached "loner" type personality. If you had children, a beloved spouse, unrequited love, or other strong attachments I think it'd be harder.

des
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:25 am:   

Nor do I believe in ghosts as such, Thomas. However I do believe in real ghosts within fiction even to the extent that they appear unseen in some fictions otherwise the mechanics of their plots cannot be rationally be explained.
Humanists, atheists, rationalists etc can all believe in this 'religion' of ghosts.

Taking this further, is fiction a religion in itself?
des

des
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:39 am:   

If fiction is religion, one could call all fiction characters 'glad ghosts', as they are simply glad to be 'alive' for a while even if their lot is tragic!
des

des
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:26 am:   

Received this contribution from another source in a public place regarding considerations of 'Glad Ghosts':

I don't know if fiction can be called a religion, but I do know that when I experience a painful sense of spiritual emptiness, the only thing that soothes it, I being an atheistic-agnostic, is reading imaginative literature. That being the case, I suppose, for me, reading Lovecraft is like going to church!
To my mind, ghosts are much more plausible than God, and by no means are the two mutually dependent. I have experienced nothing to make me unequivocally a believer in ghosts, but enough to be inclined to think there may be something to the notion, though precisely what I remain far from knowing. Doubtless certain locations possess an inexplicable atmosphere of menace or oppression, and maybe this is due to some sort of psychic residue left by incidents which occurred there. This, I hasten to point out, is far from conceding that there are autonomous "beings" out there, possessing their own consciousness and living lives of their own.

I keep an open mind, but do my best to maintain a healthy skepticism. It's a huge step from believing nothing to believing something, but a very small step from believing something to believing everything, at which point one's hold on rationality, I fear, may become tenuous.

Great D.H. Lawrence quote, BTW.

The above sets out my own position much better than I can express it with my own vexed texture of text!
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |