HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Nightshaders are Jihadists!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Politics and Religion » Nightshaders are Jihadists! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patriot
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:03 am:   

I read over on the asimovs board that all you nightshaders Hate America, and love suicide bombers... Is that true? Why do you hate America?

Rhys
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 06:01 am:   

It's the really low quality of the chocolate and beer. Sorry.

jim
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 07:55 am:   

That's why we are starting le Revolucion via micro brews. And, of course, Small Beer is our official press. (With all due respect to Night Shade, which merely hides our fifth column instructions within their texts.)

Power to the people. Well, at least us!!!

Brendan
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 08:16 pm:   

I hate American cheese.

Captain Clothespeg
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:48 am:   

Okay, who cut the cheese? 'Fess up.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 05:16 am:   

I also really hate American cars from the 1970s.

American cars from the 1920s to 1960s were excellent but something went wrong in the '70s.

1970s cars are all completely and utterly square. Not a single curve anywhere.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 05:40 am:   

Another thing that's square is the state of Wyoming. It must have taken a gigantic ruler to get the borders that straight!

Matt Hughes
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:21 am:   

I drive a 76 Dodge Dart that I'm very fond of, despite its having acquired more character than most people care to tolerate in a vehicle. I see that it is somewhat squarish, now that you mention it, although the wheels are mostly round (except on the bottom).

I suspect that George W. Bush might hate America, or at least Americans -- he meets with only the most carefully selected ones, and even then he is surrounded by a phalanx of armed guards.

Matt Hughes
Black Brillion now in paperback
The Gist Hunter & Other Stories now in stores

Brendan
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 11:05 am:   

Yes, I, as a Patriot, defend the squareness of American cars from the 70s. Those great sharp angled hoods thrusting themselves forward over 1000 mile-tracts of desert-cutting highway are . . . delicious.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   

I love you guys.

Keep up the good work.

Disgruntled Scotsman NOT going to Germany '06
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 02:20 pm:   

The US has by far the easiest soccer world cup qualification run (barring Mexico). That's not fair.

A disaffected European
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 02:34 pm:   

Plus, they call it soccer! It's FOOTBALL, people.

Disgruntled
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 05:29 pm:   

Right, Disaffected. Thanks for correcting me. And what's more...

Soccer-football is the only game called "football" that stands to reason, in that you use your feet. You are NOT allowed to use your hands, except for goalkeepers, who Americans probably call "stoppers" or something. So, why are rugby-football, American-football and Australian-rules-football called "football" when they're predominantly played with your hands? Why aren't they called "Hand-ball, generally, though-on-occasions-you're-allowed-to-use-your-feet"?

Clearly, the US has played a major part (at least one third) in perpetuating this confusion. The Australians are partly responsible, true, but their beer is good. And the rugby-playing countries (which includes Australia) don't know their arses from their elbows, so one could hardly expect them to know their hands from their feet, could they?

Matt Hughes
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   

I believe one can trace the confusion back to the school of Rugby in the nineteenth century, of which, these days, Harry Flashman is perhaps the best remembered alumnus. At that time, Prince Albert having lately introduced German physical fitness culture to Britain, the powers-that-were at Rugby decided that some sort of exercise would be a good thing. They borrowed football from the yeomanry of England who had been playing the game for centuries. But, of course, the boys of Rugby were from the upper classes, and the English upper classes were used to observing a different set of rules, when it came to their behavior, than any standards that might apply to the common ruck. As well, their ancestors had become the upper classes in the first place by showing an unabashed readiness to lay hands on anything that took their fancy, while lashing out with sword and fire against anyone who dared protest. Thus, when football came to Rugby, it was soon recast as rugby football, a game that exemplifies the credo of aristocracies throughout the ages: grab whatever's going and ankle off with as much as you can carry, and while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to give all and sundry a damn good thumping.

Matt Hughes
Black Brillion now in paperback
The Gist Hunter & Other Stories now in stores

Summer
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 05:47 pm:   

Nope, we call goalkeepers "goalkeepers" in the U.S. too. Or occasionally "goalie".

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |