HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Rainforest Writers Village

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » The Rainforest Writers Village « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   

Talebones & Fairwood Press are sponsoring a new writers retreat called the RAINFOREST WRITERS VILLAGE, to be held March 22-25th, 2007 on the Olympic Peninsula at the Rain Forest Resort Village on Lake Quinault, Washington.

Writers of all shapes, sizes and skill, you are hereby invited! And right off the bat, you're invited to go to our brand new website to take part in an important survey.

Honna and I have always dreamed of doing something like this, even as early as 1995 when Talebones magazine began. We wanted to create a place for solitary writing in an isolated environment with other writers. It's in the boonies, remote, but not TOO remote. Anyway, we've got a lot of information on the website. It's not ALL there yet, but enough of it is so you can get the idea.

Keeping with the idea of having a haven for writing, we're only inviting two paid guests who will be in-residence and offer some type of instruction or talks during the weekend, but we're pretty sure that other published writers will want to come and get away, relax, and stretch their writing muscles. And when we know who those are, we'll be certainly talking to a few of them about participating. But again, we're not going to be running this like a big conference with multi-track programming. We'll promote minimal distractions. Promote writing. Promote quiet moments networking at a resort filled completely with writers! (As of now, the owners have blocked off the entire resort for us.) It's a relatively small resort with limited number of rooms and cabins (yes, cabins! some with fireplaces, kitchens...), with a total of about 25 total rooms, so we expect it will fill up fast. Although alternate lodging is available on the lake, we can't say for sure at this point what our cut-off will be numbers-wise for retreat attendees.

Our first two guests will actually be three:

JAY LAKE, John W. Campbell Award winner, author of Rocket Science (Fairwood), </i>Trial of Flowers</i> (Night Shade), and the forthcoming Mainspring (Tor). Jay hails from Portland, OR; and

BARB & JC HENDEE, authors of the bestselling NOBLE DEAD series of books from ROC. The Hendees live in the Denver, Colorado area.

And while these authors are SF/Fantasy writers, our retreat is not limited to writers writing in that genre. Not by any means! Presentations offered will be geared toward benefiting ALL writers.

Enough blabbing. The website is at http://www.rainforestwritersvillage.com. Once there, do nose around and see what's up, but please help us out by clicking on the right-side link to take our short survey. Also, since we're not up and running yet with registration, please take a moment to sign up on the mailing list to keep updated on what's new.

And do come back and report what you think. And if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. I should also add that due to space for the retreat being somewhat limited, if you are really thinking right now (or as soon as you think so) that you'll be signing up when registration goes live, let me know separately (instead of just signing up for the mailing list) and I'll put you on a "future attendee" list I'll keep handy off-site. (There are already 12 people on that list after sending a mass email last night and posting on my blog.)

We hope you will pass the word around. If you have a place you could post or announce this message, or have people or lists to forward it to, we would appreciate it!

Thanks a lot!
Patrick & Honna Swenson

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |