HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Writing 2

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » Writing 2 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   

The first thread was getting long! Here's a summary of the last half-dozen or so posts to get you back in the flow...

By Honna Swenson on Sunday, June 04:
My sleep schedule has changed a lot to accomodate writing. I go to bed at about 10:30 for a wake-up at 5:30, I hit the button to start the coffee brewing, then go write. But I really really need more time (I usually have to quit about 7:30-ish when Orion wakes up). I'm just getting warmed up when I have to quit, so I feel like I've yet to hit my stride with this new project I'm working on. Patrick and I have decided to choose actual days for writing time. He's to leave the house, take Orion, so I can really dig in and write. Then, I'll do the same for him. During summer, he tends to stay up until 3 or so, working, but not always writing. We'll see if having a designated writing day will get him going. He's got a novel to finish!

By Jim Van Pelt on Monday, June 05:
Even though I write often in the chinks of my day, having an open-ended time is still the best. It's really hard to work in a 30-minute slot, just get a rhythm going, and then have to stop to do something else. I feel your pain *g*.

By Patrick Swenson on Wednesday, July 05:
It's especially hard if your new laptop keeps missing every 10th letter, huh, Jim?

By Mary Robinette Kowal on Thursday, July 06:
That really is a great code, and similar to the way I want to function. I find that if I let the "write every day" slide at all, then it becomes really hard to start again. The writing muscle atrophes and it takes a bit to remind myself how to do it. My goal is "at least a page a day, and before I do anything else on the computer." Otherwise, I spend all day checking email and message boards. It's amazing how quickly those single pages can add up.

By Jim Van Pelt on Thursday, July 06:
I'm hoping that I just need to adjust to the new laptop. I't's been a pain so far, though. Sometimes the spacebar doesn't work. Sheesh.

By Patrick Swenson on Friday, July 07:
Mary, you are right! Interesting timing, because I just read an entry on my friend (and SF writer) Eric Nylund's blog where he talks about intertia: "Once youíre writing regularly and stopóitís a hundred times harder to overcome that inertia and start again. I get up at 5 AM everyday and write before I go into work. Itís not that Iím super dedicated; Iím just deathly afraid from starting from a cold stop. Itís an ugly pace to be as a writer, trust me."

By Jim Van Pelt on Saturday, July 15:
I had an interesting moment of guerilla marketing today. I was on the Asimov's discussion board (http://www.asimovs.com/discus/), on the "SF Celebrity Lurkers" topic, when someone mentioned having read "Do Good" in THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES. I offered the first one to come up with who Richard Vernon, Ed Rooney and Marshal Strickland are a free copy of the book (I dedicated the story to those three names). The person who ended up getting it right already had a copy of the book, but she wanted a signed one from me, so she started another contest based on the book, and whoever won that she would buy a copy of the book to send them. So, I gave away a book, sold one, and had a small group of folks all discussing it for a while. Pretty cool.

By Patrick Swenson on Sunday, July 16:
Cool, Jim! I got Rooney and Strickland right away. I couldn't recall Vernon, and had to peek. Breakfast Club!

Ken Scholes
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 05:27 am:   

Just a quick note to say that "Edward Bear and the Very Long Walk" from Talebones #22 has sallied forth again (third time) and can be found at www.revolutionsf.com.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:16 am:   

Wow, congrats, Ken. You're getting a lot of mileage on that story. I bet Edward's getting very tired with all that walking! :-) At first glance, looks like a nice e-zine.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   

If these are the most famous principals in movie-land, then who are the most famous movie SLACKERS?

Ken Scholes
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 09:35 am:   

I'm pretty amazed. It's been five years since he first started walking and still he trudges on, humming his little song and pulling his little red hover-wagon behind.

I'm really glad you folks introduced him to the world.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:34 pm:   

Another writerly lesson relearned: time = perspective.

I sent the marked-up pages of the advanced reader copy version of SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE back to Patrick. It's depressing to look at stuff that is several years old and look at all my previous writing foibles suddenly revealed. Evidently, at the time, I thought the semi-colon solved all writing problems. I ended up turning almost all of them into commas or the ends of sentences.

Of course, it could also be uplifting. I've grown!

Laird Barron
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   

"Evidently, at the time, I thought the semi-colon solved all writing problems."

Damn.

Elizabeth Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 06:21 pm:   

A dear friend of mine just sent me a long, wonderful letter where she says in the middle:

quote:

(As you can see I have become infatuated with dashes and I use them whenever I want regardless of convention. I know you enjoy grammar so I hope it doesn't drive you nuts.)

Love her. However, dashes were the least of the grammar issues. Somehow grammar doesn't bug me in letter, though.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   

"Evidently, at the time, I thought the semi-colon solved all writing problems. I ended up turning almost all of them into commas or the ends of sentences."

The Slaughter of the Semi-Colons. How could you?

Honna Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 05:34 pm:   

I've gone from semi-colons to dashes to now having sentences make little sense.
Short little things. Those sentences.
You know?

But I'm in 1st draft mode which is like running around naked.

Ken Scholes
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 07:48 am:   

Huh. My first draft mode is nothing at all like running around naked. It's more like me running around in saran wrap and Lion King slippers, waving my arms about and yelling "Woot! Woot! I am a special snowflake!"

I must be doing something wrong. ;)

George O'Gorman
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 04:49 pm:   

When I read The Sound and the Fury I went dash-crazy for a while. Now I hate dashes. Perenthitical discourses are totally annoying in fiction.

I read an interview with Stephen King and he said he's afraid to stop writing every day because he's afraid he'll "lose it".

George O'Gorman
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 05:07 pm:   

What cured me of the dashes was reading all of Bukowski's books.

That makes it sound like a disease--"the dashes". Maybe it is.

Yeah, I know.

Honna Swenson
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 07:52 pm:   

Ken,
You _are_ a special snowflake! And that's a lot of Saran Wrap!
What I personally dislike bunches in fiction is the slash! Especially in dialogue.
"I had a dinner/drink with friends." Good lord.
If someone's going to say something as stupid as "slash", then it should be written out. "I had a dinner-slash-drink with friends."

George O'Gorman
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 05:26 pm:   

I would spell it out:

"Yes, I've been reading fantasy slash science fiction lately," Don blurted. "I've been reading slasher slash splatter, too."

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

I'VE BEEN PODCASTED!

Shaun Ferrell at Adventures in Scifi Publishing interviewed me earlier in the month for his podcast show. That episode is now available (click on "listen" below the advertisement for the books) at his website. You can listen to it on your computer or download it to iTunes to listen via an iPod. It's a big file, so if you are on a dial-up system it takes a while at http://www.adventuresinscifipublishing.blogspot.com/

It's both cool and intimidating to listen to myself. I say "um" too much, and it sounds like I had a bit of a cold for the interview, but I was able to talk at length about my new novel, SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE.

Other topics we mentioned included the following:

- Publishing through print on demand
- Writing process
- Apocalyptic fiction and the ecology
- Fairwood Press
- Jay Lake, Ken Scholes
- Writing for young adults (even when you're not trying too)
- The future of publishing
- My upcoming projects

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |