HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

New Books, 2006

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Fairwood Press/Talebones Magazine » New Books, 2006 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 04:02 pm:   

Moving these posts over and starting a 2006 version of this topic...

...By Patrick Swenson ... April 27, 2006

I've just sent an email to LOCUS for their Forthcoming Books issue, plus their BOOKS SOLD section of the People & Publishing page. We're announcing new projects! Seems like it's been awhile, but it looks now like projects may be coming along faster than anticipated now....

We're doing Jim Van Pelt's first novel SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE, with a release at World Fantasy this year.

Also coming out at World Fantasy will be Ken Rand's CUT TO THE BONE: THE COMPLETE TALEBONES INTERVIEWS.

We'll also be doing two comprehensive collections by Ken Rand in 2007, one with his darker stories, one with his humor work.

Also on tap, the first story collection by Paul Melko, for early 2007.

...By Patrick Swenson on April 27, 2006

Oh...no titles yet for the Rand collections, but a tentative title for the Melko: TEN SIGMAS AND OTHER UNLIKELIHOODS

...By Patrick Swenson on May 08, 2006

Boy it sure is quiet since the registration requirement came to be. Everyone lurking, but not posting?

A couple of exciting book possibilities on the horizon. Too early to talk about yet, but we'll let you know when we know for sure.

...By Jim Van Pelt on May 09, 2006

It is quiet! On my computer, I'm automatically logged in now every time I come to this site, so there's no extra key strokes or any other hassle.

Dang, I hate stuff that's too early to talk about. It's like the two or three days before Christmas *g*.

...By Patrick Swenson on May 09, 2006

::, I hate stuff that's too early to talk about. It's like the two or three days before Christmas ::

Yeah, ha ha. Don't shake the packages under the tree! But seriously, could be a neat deal or two for us.

...By Patrick Swenson on May 09, 2006

Oh, and yes, it's nice that I'm automatically logged in and I don't have to type anything. Hopefully that's the same deal for everyone else.

(Psst...Jim, did you see the #33 cover posted on the other thread? No comments yet so I was just wondering...)

Honna Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 08:56 am:   

My poor hubby, talking to himself here. I've become registered finally. Yes, lots of projects to get excited about!

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 08:42 pm:   

You know, what we need is for subscribers to have an e-mail newsletter option for Fairwood/Talebones news, like this stuff. That way they'd not only know what's coming up, but we could also steer them to this board. I get depressed when nothing new is posted here after several days.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 02:56 pm:   

We actually have a mailing list option on both sites. We've just not been very good about sending updates out. I can't even tell you at this point how many people are signed up on it. Getting subscribers to sign up for it--we did put the word out once or twice in the magazine when the mailing list was set up, but I know that while some are signed up, many are not. We'd have to wait until our next mailing, either the next issue, or to put something about it in future renewal notices.

Ken Scholes
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 06:22 am:   

I don't post much but I come check here every day. I'll have to work on the posting part.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   

Also, I need to add a link from our websites to the boards here. Duh.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   

Okay. Links ahoy. On Talebones.com and Fairwoodpress.com

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   

James Van Pelt's first novel SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE is now available for preorder at fairwoodpress.com.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   

We have also put up a preorder for the newest edition of Ken Rand's THE 10% SOLUTION. It now sports a full color cover, with a few new references and additions.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 02:44 am:   

Ken Rand's collection of Talebones interviews, CUT TO THE BONE, will feature his amazing talks with a TON of SF dignitaries. Take a look at this list:

•Howard Waldrop • Peter Adkison • Roger Zelazny • Michael & Kathleen Gear • C.J. Cherryh • Lois McMaster Bujold • Fred Saberhagen • Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch • Tim Powers • Spider Robinson • Bill Ransom • Jack Cady • K.W. Jeter • Connie Willis • Jonathan Lethem • Edward Bryant • Vonda N. McIntyre • Eric Nylund • Greg Bear • Amy Thomson • Peter Straub • Dan Simmons • Charles de Lint • Harry Turtledove • James P. Hogan • Joe Haldeman • Kevin J. Anderson • Kay Kenyon • Tom Piccirilli • Ben Bova • Sharon Lee & Steve Miller • Louise Marley

And add to that: an interview of Ken Rand at the end, conducted by Ken & Jen Scholes.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:24 am:   

Early blurbs for Jim Van Pelt's SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE:

"James Van Pelt is a wonderful writer, whose science fiction appeals to both the mind and the heart. His debut novel Summer of the Apocalypse is not to be missed." — Robert J. Sawyer, author of Hominids

"A writer with unique insight into the human condition and mind-blowing imagination. I'd read a grocery list by James Van Pelt." — Julie E. Czerneda, author of Regeneration

"Every time James Van Pelt writes a story, the world gets a little richer. This time he's written a novel. You do the math."

— Jerry Oltion, author of Anywhere But Here

"James Van Pelt commands the history of science fiction as the instruments of his narrative. His award-winning prose is informed with a deep empathy for the human condition which highlights the genre in novel ways. After the amazing Strangers and Beggars and The Last of the O-Forms, Summer of the Apocalypse marks his first foray into single-title fiction."

— Jay Lake, author of Rocket Science

"His first novel is out of this world."

— Charles Coleman Finlay, author of The Prodigal Troll

Ken Scholes
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   

Oh, those blurbs look fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on that book. Jim's been a major force in my own development as a writer.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   

new one from Carrie Vaughn:

“James Van Pelt is one of the most humane writers in science fiction today. His writing has a sensitivity and insight that is often lacking in the genre. Whatever technologies, wonders, fears and terrors his stories contain, at heart every one of them is about people—human beings living human lives. Best of all—and this quality is truly hard to come by in our age of cynicism—his stories show a humanity that is worth saving and very much worth reading about.” --Carrie Vaughn

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 05:16 pm:   

BTW, Ken's interview book is now titled HUMAN VISIONS instead of CUT TO THE BONE.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   

We're going to sneak in one more book this year(total of three now). We're adding new writer Ken Scholes's novellete LAST FLIGHT OF THE GODDESS. We'll be producing it as a limited signed and numbered hardcover, and hope to have it ready for World Fantasy along with the Van Pelt and Ken Rand books. Kind of an experiment for us, and we're really excited about the project. Stay tuned!

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   

Wow, that sounds great. Make sure you reserve me a copy. Will Ken be at World Fantasy?

Ken Scholes
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   

Yep...I'll be there, Jim.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:45 am:   

COOL...this will be fun!

Next postings: some book covers.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 12:55 am:   

First up: Jim Van Pelt's SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE:

summer_night shade

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:07 am:   

Here's the full spread:

summer full_night shade

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:08 am:   

Here's the full spread--might be a few changes, maybe different blurbs or some such:

summer full_night shade

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:11 am:   

Here's the cover for Ken Rand's HUMAN VISIONS: The Complete Talebones Interviews:

interview_NS

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:15 am:   

And the full spread:

interview full_NS

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:18 am:   

Mr. Scholes....you'll have to wait on LAST FLIGHT's cover!

But sooooon....

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   

Some early praise for Ken Rand's interview book:

"It’s the sign of a sure hand that interviews several years old and sometimes with authors I don’t read can still capture my attention as
much as those with authors I care deeply about. Ken Rand’s ability to focus on his subject and make him or her real and interesting to the
reader makes sense to those of us who know him, I think: there are few people I have ever met in my life who can talk with you and make you know that you are the very center of that moment, an ability that has always come naturally to Ken. Combined with his talent with words makes this much more than just an interesting snapshot of a few moments in history. I hope the authors interviewed in this book are aware of the special moment in time they were given." --Derryl Murphy, author of Wasps at the Speed of Sound

“Trust Ken Rand to ask the right questions of some fascinating people! These are lively and insightful interviews. You’ll wish you could have been a fly on the wall while he was conducting them.” --Louise Marley, author of Singer in the Snow

"Ken Rand loves words, and he loves people — but he’s done enough and seen more than enough to understand the writers he interviews, even as it’s clear that he wants to understand them better. All those admirable traits show through his interviews, and he’s not afraid to let writers speak for themselves, rather than 're-interpret' or spin their words. This is a gem of a book, and not just for what it accomplishes, but also for what sins it avoids." --L. E. Modesitt, Jr

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 03:21 pm:   

Early blurb (great teaser!) for Ken Scholes' "Last Flight of the Goddess."

"No human, be he hero or king or bard or mage, no gibber or gobber or demon or dragon, can resist this ballad, the enchanting saga of Andro Giantslayer and his deathless love for Luendyl the Fierce and Fair and their child Karysa the White of the West. Toss aside your paperback of Orvid and Drimbull’s Venison Stew for the Heart and place next to your bosom Last Flight of the Goddess. Lift your mugs of mead; a toast to the poetry and beauty of prose well writ, and to the birthing of a new age of unparalleled artful story-telling, and to parenting, and magic diapers. This tome soars with lean, mean liquid grace. Here you’ll find famous deeds, recent loss, bawdy humor, and passing reference to the grand sweeping national anthem “O Grunland Fair.” From the ruins of Ghul-Shar-Tov to hallowed Handen Hail, all hail mighty Ken Scholes, bard extraordinaire and story-telling master! May his keyboard forever click out such noble fare, and may his computer never crash!" --Ken Rand

Ken Scholes
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 10:15 am:   

What an honor. That Other Ken sure has a way with words.

Mary Robinette Kowal
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 04:26 pm:   

I've pre-ordered Last Flight of the Goddess. Woot!

Ken Scholes
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 05:41 am:   

Thanks Mary. :-)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:54 am:   

You'll have a low number, Mary! (We'll see how many of the lowest numbers Ken decimates when he gets his own pocket change out...) :-)

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:55 am:   

I don't have the full spread done for Last Flight of the Goddess yet, but here's the front cover. Ken only saw it today!

goddess_nightshade

Ken Scholes
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 07:17 am:   

It is a great cover, Patrick!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 01:03 pm:   

SO quiet out there. Quite a change since they had to add the registration thing.

Mary Robinette Kowal
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 05:38 pm:   

Well, if you miss the spam, I can talk about poker.

Seriously nice art work. I can't wait to hold my own copy.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 09:49 am:   

Fairwood always has great covers! Patrick, you do a great job in pairing the right images with the books, and then designing the copy so it looks cool.

Ken Scholes
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   

I'm just thrilled with this cover. And I'm really honored by the talented, keen people who've been involved in some way with this first solo-project of mine, whether it's agreeing to blurb, to intro or put the little book together and launch it into the world. So thank you, all. And thank you to the people who have pre-ordered so far.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 09:23 pm:   

Two more advance blurbs for LAST FLIGHT, including Jim's kind words!

“Last Flight of the Goddess” takes a tragic/comic postmodern trip to the land of sword and sorcery. Scholes can be read on so many levels, but first and foremost he tells a good story, so take off your shoes, put some good Norse opera on your stereo, and settle in for a fierce and fair journey. —James Van Pelt

“A funny, touching, adventure of love, loss, and legends.”
—Syne Mitchell, author of End in Fire

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 09:24 pm:   

And one for the Ken Rand interview book:

"Reading a Ken Rand interview is like having a friendly cup of coffee with a favorite author. Always a pleasure.”
—Marti McKenna, editor of Aeon Magazine

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   

Hi, Ken. I've found the whole process of the stuff that falls out of my computer eventually becoming a book to be fascinating. There's so much more to it than I would have thought.

I can't wait to see Goddess in hardcover. Is that Fairwood's first hardcover project, Patrick?

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   

Jim, no. There was an anthology called Imagination Fully Dilated: Science Fiction. You should remember that one...you were in it! :-)

Also, we did a hardcover limited signed edition of Tom Piccirilli's poetry collection Waiting My Turn to Go Under the Knife.

But as far as first hardcover solo fiction: yep.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   

Here's the full dustjacket for Ken Scholes' Last Flight of the Goddess

last_flight

Mary Robinette Kowal
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 02:59 am:   

Beautiful!

Ken Scholes
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   

Very very nice, dude.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 04:29 pm:   

I received a box of SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE yesterday! I'm now, officially, a novelist.

There are several SotA functions already set up. I'll be at MileHiCon in Denver next weekend with the books, then World Fantasy the weekend afterwards. The Colorado Librarians Association's big weekend conference and book bash happens Nov. 11 (I'm doing a presentation on Using SF to Reach Reluctant Readers). Then, Nov. 19, Colorado Home Grown Tales will do "Do Good" from the LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES as part of their dramatic presentations early in the day; then we'll retire to Who Else books for a signing that afternoon. On Dec. 2, I'll debut the book for Grand Junction with a signing at Hastings (they also hosted my debut signings for the first two collections). Finally, I'll be a part of the Barnes and Nobel local author Christmas signing, probably the weekend of Dec. 9.

Whew!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:56 am:   

Woohoo! Congrats, of course (and glad we could help make that all happen).

Sounds like a nice, busy season of signings and such. :-)

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 05:29 am:   

Man, it's quiet in here!

MileHiCon was a success. We sold out of SUMMER OF THE APOCALYPSE, selling all 20 books in the dealers' room. This week, World Fantasy.

Honna Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 06:56 am:   

I heard about the sell-out! That's awesome! Let's sell more at WF!

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 09:14 pm:   

I know, it's become pretty quiet all over this board (except for Lucius, Ellen and Gordon and a few others...)!!

Rock on, Jim. We'll have 35+ books at WFC. Let's sell THOSE puppies out!

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 08:55 pm:   

The board has grown quiet again.

WFC looked like a great weekend for Fairwood. Ken Rand, Ken Scholes and myself all debuted books there. Scholes sold out in the dealers' room, and my novel sold a bunch. STRANGERS AND BEGGARS also sold out. All the Fairwood Press books sold, TALEBONES picked up new subscribers, and the Fairwood table was frequently a spot where folks stopped for chats with Patrick, Ken Scholes or myself (Ken and I hung out there a bunch--books sell better if the author is around to talk to or to sign).

All in all, it was a bunch of fun. Patrick didn't have to pack nearly as many books to go home as he had shipped to the convention.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 09:24 pm:   

Indeed! What Jim said. [vbg] It was the best convention weekend we've ever had in that regard.

We sold half the stock we'd sent down there. Any time that happens it's a good thing.

We'll be at Orycon in Portland in a few weeks--more books to sell there!

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 05:01 am:   

Sheesh! How could I use "bunch" three times in the same post?

Ken Scholes
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   

That's a bunch of bunches. :-)

I had a great time in Austin. Good to see you fine folks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |